The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
No club offered any bid as every other club got the same answer from him and his reps. Your own and City included.

You could make a genuine case for Liverpool being completely negligent toward van Dijk and leaving him hung out to dry after he sabotaged his Southampton career to get the only move he wanted.

But hey, Les Reed has made his point for 4 months and L'pool can at least feel free to bid without encouragement the next window if they so desire.

Frustrating outcome to an otherwise very good window of improvement.

Issue is that he has a contract till 2022. Southampton under no pressure to sell. And being a WC year, Van Dijk has no choice but to get his head down and start playing properly either way.

Issue is that he has a contract till 2022. Southampton under no pressure to sell. And being a WC year, Van Dijk has no choice but to get his head down and start playing properly either way.
Netherlands lost 4-0 to France don't think they will be making it to russia so that isn't really an incentive for him

Netherlands lost 4-0 to France don't think they will be making it to russia so that isn't really an incentive for him

Did they? God Lord that's a walloping. Hard times for the Dutch missing another major tournament.

That be three in a row? Or is it worse?

On a much broader point, considering that both Coutinho and Van Dijk wanted moved this summer that never panned out largely due to the fact that they had long-term contracts which meant that Liverpool and Southampton were under no pressure to sell and could name their price.

About time top players started inserting NBA style opt-out clauses in their contracts.

They have a £70 million asset now depreciating who doesn't want to be there.

You're gambling on a heck of a lot that he's gonna' come back into the fold. He doesn't, you're just delaying things for 4 months to prove a point.

They have a £70 million asset now depreciating who doesn't want to be there.

You're gambling on a heck of a lot that he's gonna' come back into the fold. He doesn't, you're just delaying things for 4 months to prove a point.

How is he depreciating? Normally I would agree with you but he a contract till 2022. If he keeps up his form from last season, Southampton can continue to name their price.

Scouse mate, you would be the first one here to criticize him if he really did down tools till January to force through a move.

Again, you're predicting that on him playing for Southampton.

There's a **** of a LONG way back after he as good as committed career sabotage down there. Not least with the support. Try reintegrate an unhappy vet. leader back into the changies who's now doubly ****** off he's stuck there ..... Good luck with that one.

Again, you're predicting that on him playing for Southampton.

There's a **** of a LONG way back after he as good as committed career sabotage down there. Not least with the support. Try reintegrate an unhappy vet. leader back into the changies who's now doubly ****** off he's stuck there ..... Good luck with that one.

He is a pro. He will get his head down and start playing. You said the exact same thing when De Gea's move to United fell apart on the last day and look how that turned out eventually.

Southampton will do everything to reintegrate him. If he still refuses to play then you will be the first to criticize him. If you don't, you will be the biggest hypocrite on this planet :) :P

Only happy person here is Lovren. Probably doing somersaults as we type.

This the point I'm 'sposed to bite to that? (And don't be revisionist. I posed the question over de Gea.).

There's enough idiot's currently talking absolute bunkum about FSG in L'pool twitter land without you adding.

Probably give our transfer window a 6/10. Recruited in all the areas we are weak in bar CB, plus Coutinho is still here so thats a plus. Salah will probably be the bargain of the window if he continues his form. Robertson is an upgrade on Moreno but still question if he can hack it defensively. My views on AOC are well documented but he's a good option of the bench. All jokes aside defensively were not as bad as everyone makes us out to be. Its good enough to challenge but in games especially away ties in the latter stages against the top teams in europe when we will be asked to defend for long periods in the game I think we'll suffer. I shudder thinking about the likes of Neymar running at Lovren. Can't complain though.

Probably give our transfer window a 6/10. Recruited in all the areas we are weak in bar CB, plus Coutinho is still here so thats a plus. Salah will probably be the bargain of the window if he continues his form. Robertson is an upgrade on Moreno but still question if he can hack it defensively. My views on AOC are well documented but he's a good option of the bench. All jokes aside defensively were not as bad as everyone makes us out to be. Its good enough to challenge but in games especially away ties in the latter stages against the top teams in europe when we will be asked to defend for long periods in the game I think we'll suffer. I shudder thinking about the likes of Neymar running at Lovren. Can't complain though.
Just imagine how Celtic fans are feeling right now then, they will likely have a midfielder at CB when they welcome PSG in the CL

.... Its good enough to challenge but in games especially away ties in the latter stages against the top teams in europe when we will be asked to defend for long periods in the game I think we'll suffer. I shudder thinking about the likes of Neymar running at Lovren.....

I'll take the advantage of the one thing every other club doesn't have in Europe d if it came down to a two leged shoot-out.

Anfield.

Probably give our transfer window a 6/10.....

I really don't know how to grade out this window.

On the one hand, they've improved the quality of the depth and bagged 2 of their three main targets. (If Keita a year down the line counts? Or is that to be graded on next summers window?). On the other, the one position they needed to add above all else they've come away empty handed after maddingly f-ing themselves over early in the summer.

Made up with the signings we've actually made. Salah is arguably the most exciting signing of the entire English window for a bargain price. (Which was at the time a club record. Put's a lot into perspective as regards Liverpool in the transfer market the PL era until this summer.). FINALLY, we have a natural LB outside of the continued brain-dead clown that is Alby. Solanke looks an absolute gem of a prospect who's done that well he's forced Origi out on loan already. And Oxo-Chambo (still working on a name) adds great versatility and quality depth that upgrades the squad again.

But that's tempered with the last day frustration. Lemar I don't blame them for at all. They had £75 million for Pete's sake on the table for a lad who had asked to be allowed to come. But when it get's to £92 million for a still developing, relatively inexperienced 20-year-old, it's time to walk away. van Dijk is what leaves the window feeling like a loss. You can only presume the serious threat of a transfer ban was too much for them to bid without Southampton's blessing after the way they bungled it early summer. It was a massive, calculated gamble knowing right through he only wanted to go to them that back-fired down to Southampton standing firm and making their own point.

Talking of, as much as I personally wanted rid of the little sh*t, fair play to FSG for completely standing firm on Coutinho. Like Southampton, they had to be seen to sticking to their guns to once and for all hammer home we are no longer a selling club and won't be bullied by anyone. And the plus side of all that, when Phil is over his little strop, you still have a World class footballer for the year to utilise.

That's been the one major win for me this window. The complete shift in policy from the owners to back the manager as much as they can within reason. They just happened to pick a couple of stubborn clubs to try do their main dealings with. People can criticise them all they like for ultimately falling short the final day. But they've been willing to drop £70 plus million on van Dijk. Similar on Lemar. They were pushing that for Keita. (Who they ultimately got a lot cheaper in an absolutely superb deal. Albeit a year down the line but still.). Even Mbappe they had serious interest in if he'd decided to come to England and would have been rivalling any English club on that score. All without having to sell to fund that spree. They can't be held accountable for clubs just refusing to take their money no matter how high they went. Or for a manager wanting only top bracket targets and not demeaning any alternatives better than what he already has. All in all, with that very noticeable shift in policy, a very good and pleasing window from the owners. Just, again, doesn't seem it with the failure on van Dijk through our own stupidness.

3rd highest net spend save for clarification of late deals too league wide which needs taking into consideration. Most of our rivals have had much worse windows and nearly all have found it real difficult to spend and get their targets.

On the outgoing side, praise the Lord we've finally got rid of that crettin Sakho. Pity it wasn't the £30 million we wanted but it's still an £8 million profit for complete dead wood nowhere near the squad for the last season and more so can't argue at that. Good bye and good riddance. Getting back what we paid for Lucas after 10 years stellar service was another very good piece of business. Pity we couldn't move Ladzar, Flanno and Bogdan but we're almost clear of the sh*te now just two summer windows in for Klopp which is a brilliant achievement.

Think overall I'll give them a B-. Relatively dead happy with the window but the van Dijk miss has just brought me right down.

Last edited:
**** forgot about Keita. I guess your on duty watching RBL games scouse :P

Back