The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Utterly mad. I, and pretty much everybody, doesn't understand what he's doing here? If he's being straight up and honestly brings back Mignolet for City, dropping him (and it was a straight dropping. He needed a rest my pasty white _____ ), Arsenal makes absolutely no sense at all. And is no help to Karius in any way, shape or form.

I don't get Jürgen at all here and don't buy a word of how he's trying to sell this.

Mignolet leaving today is the only way it would make sense. But then if you had wind that was going to happen, why start him the season to begin with?

Madness.

Tyton has said it before and he's right: Klopp is very poor when it comes to GK's

Think Lemar won't happen, nor Van Dijk. Southampton seem to be standing firm on this one. You should have lined up an alternative CB, big mistake on your part imo.

I don't think you can't take anything that's said/ rumoured today on face value fact until we reach 11 PM.

They'll be deals going on all day. They'll be surprising deals going on all day. Nothings over for any club until the window shuts.

Just hope ox moving to Liverpool doesn't have to big an effect on little mix personally

I'm not sure Mike if you can say Liverpool have had a good window if they haven't addressed two of their most flawed areas, which could ultimately cost them this season.

Agree with Scouse though, windows not over till it's over, anything can happen on deadline day.

I'm not sure Mike if you can say Liverpool have had a good window if they haven't addressed two of their most flawed areas, which could ultimately cost them this season.

Agree with Scouse though, windows not over till it's over, anything can happen on deadline day.

They were never going to resolve GK tbh. And they look like they have tried to fix LB long term.

It could have been much worse tbh. Imagine not having Keita next season and losing Can too

They were never going to resolve GK tbh. And they look like they have tried to fix LB long term.

It could have been much worse tbh. Imagine not having Keita next season and losing Can too

Could have been worse agreed, but them not addressing CB is going to be fatal this season I think. Could be the difference between successful or unsuccessful season.

Could have been worse agreed, but them not addressing CB is going to be fatal this season I think. Could be the difference between successful or unsuccessful season.

Devils Advocate.

What top centre half has moved clubs this summer? Like, anywhere. Europe wide.

Chelsea got Rudiger for an injury discount. I'll give you him. Then you're struggling. Napoli priced Chelsea out their lad. Which sent them to Roma. Utd splashed the cash early on someone currently on the bench. Everton paid £25 million for Keane. Chambers is receiving £20 plus million bids. ****, there's a mad scramble for Johnny frigging Evans that Arsenal and City are down to. Arsenal and City! For Johnny frigging Evans!

So as regards L'pool not having alternatives, who should they be? Outside of just buying for the sake of buying someone like Keane or Evans which is a foolhardy policy. van Dijk, aside from Liverpool knowing for over 4 months now he wouldn't sign anywhere else, has been there only target because there has been no other realistic top defender, which is what we're talking here, to turn to.

Devils Advocate.

Bonucci moved from Juventus to Milan :P

I agree there hasn't necessarily been a lot of what you would class 'world class' CB's available. But VVD isn't at this time world-class. You need someone who's just better than Lovren, which is not really close to world class to be an improvement on him :P

These days you have to really be looking around and it's always going to be a bit of a gamble. When United signed Bailly, I doubt anyone would of classed him as a top defender, now we're seeing he's as good as anything. Certainly in this league anyway (imo anything in Europe he rivals).

Even if you maybe tried to move for someone like Howedes, who has recently moved. Sure not world-class, but far superior to Lovren.

The options were out there, you just put all your eggs on VVD.

Devils Advocate.

Chelsea got Rudiger for an injury discount. I'll give you him. Then you're struggling. Napoli priced Chelsea out their lad. Which sent them to Roma. Utd splashed the cash early on someone currently on the bench. Everton paid £25 million for Keane. Chambers is receiving £20 plus million bids. ****, there's a mad scramble for Johnny frigging Evans that Arsenal and City are down to. Arsenal and City! For Johnny frigging Evans!

So as regards L'pool not having alternatives, who should they be? Outside of just buying for the sake of buying someone like Keane or Evans which is a foolhardy policy. van Dijk, aside from Liverpool knowing for over 4 months now he wouldn't sign anywhere else, has been there only target because there has been no other realistic top defender, which is what we're talking here, to turn to.

Bonucci, but he really was a target for only Italian clubs.

Edit: Also Musacchio. Really underrated player.

Another one maybe that Columbian Spurs signed from Ajax, but I wouldn't class him as a top centre half at this point even though he has potential to be one.

But that's the point z. The options aren't out there that are significantly better than what they have to what we've come up with between us that is realistically available.

Or else you're just buying bodies there that may be a slight upgrade. But are liable to have the same bad games in them. You may as well give a real promising talent like Gomez his head at CB if that's your answer.

Aside from the fact they've been certain he'd sign for nobody else, I can't fault them for not settling when there's nobody else moved that would have significantly improved the position and taken the team on the next level.

But that's the point z. The options aren't out there that are significantly better than what they have to what we've come up with between us that is realistically available.

Or else you're just buying bodies there that may be a slight upgrade. But are liable to have the same bad games in them. You may as well give a real promising talent like Gomez his head at CB if that's your answer.

Aside from the fact they've been certain he'd sign for nobody else, I can't fault them for not settling when there's nobody else moved that would have significantly improved the position and taken the team on the next level.

Like I said earlier this month, if we dont sign VVD it could be a blessing in disguise. It gives Gomez a chance at CB as the season progresses.

Origi gone out to Wolfsburg for the year.

No option to buy. Wolfsburg picking up the tab for all his wages AND paying £6 million as a loan fee for the privilege.

Hopefully, he regains his confidence the Bundesliga to go with his ability. Well done Dom Solanke.

*Edit* And there's a recall clause if needed. Just about the perfect loan. Well done Edwards. Smashed that one.

Last edited:
Howedes. Id VVD was the template that's who I would have targeted

Savic, Manolas, Even Mustafi (who I cannot believe is not favoured at Arsenal)

All down to personal opinion, but I don't think any of those significantly upgrades on what they have for the cost of getting them in and paying the contract. You may as well stick with what you have and wait.

Outside of Howdes who was going dirt cheap for the short-term. Wouldn't of minded him at all.

But as regards van Dijk quality that they're looking at, there's really limited options that have moved this summer.

All down to personal opinion, but I don't think any of those significantly upgrades on what they have for the cost of getting them in and paying the contract. You may as well stick with what you have and wait.

Outside of Howdes who was going dirt cheap for the short-term. Wouldn't of minded him at all.

But as regards van Dijk quality that they're looking at, there's really limited options that have moved this summer.

Savic and Manolas are huge upgrades. Mustafi too, though not as high as the others. Any of them would form a formidable partnership with Matip, all of them significantly better than Lovren. All could have been bought for around 40m even in this mental market

Well, as much as I don't want to see Lovren starting (and even at that he's not half as bad as many make out), I'd disagree but hey, I'm still dead confident they'll have van Dijk before today's out so yer know.

Long time in this window to get through yet.

Back