The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Not been on since the deadline day stuff. I think we can be happy with our signings, and I think it's even better summer when put into context of our opposition. Arsenal have obviously had a lot written about them, and they've weakened their squad completely. Chelsea missed out on their 'desperation' signings on deadline day, too. Spurs ended up making some good signings to be fair to them even if they left it late. City looking weak at centre back.

Obviously we should have signed a centre back, never really thought VVD would happen, personally, and it's kinda annoying we got no one in. Saying that, I think we'll be okay depth-wise, it's quality wise which is still a question.

I've always liked AOC and I'm pretty happy with the signing. Wenger must have been pretty bad at motivating him in the end, think his morale is rock bottom. Based on how desperate he was to sign for us (turning down Chelsea etc), I'd assume he's really pumped to play for us and will return to his old form, and I think he'll get plenty of game time, either at CM or on the wing.

We're looking at Mane and Salah as our starting wingers, but with added games, and Mane has some fitness issues, he'll get plenty of time there - especially since our back up is pretty much just Woodburn and Coutinho/Firmino/Ings playing slightly out of position.

Quick point about Wiji - I really liked him last season, but heard a lot of talk recently about him, and people being uncertain. It's kind of an odd phenomenon, a player being so different in home and away matches. But it's so true, he really doesn't turn up in away matches. I think part of the Ox thing will be having him to play in away matches, because Wiji is so clearly poor in away matches.

I think we can be really happy anyway with our signings. Moreno being given more chances, and playing better means Milner can get more game time elsewhere, if Moreno's form drops - we have Robertson to jump in. Gomez's return is good, played well against Arsenal, especially not in his favoured position. Ings still to return properly, and Origi getting the move he, let's be honest, really needed.

Had the France- Luxembourg game on for some F-ed up reason last night to have a look a Lemar. Who looked the furthest thing from a £75/92 million player imaginable. But then France were dead poor from front to back, particularly the second half, so it probably wasn't the game to take much of anything from.

Had the France- Luxembourg game on for some F-ed up reason last night to have a look a Lemar. Who looked the furthest thing from a £75/92 million player imaginable. But then France were dead poor from front to back, particularly the second half, so it probably wasn't the game to take much of anything from.
Hes defo not near anywhere near that much on ability alone would say same price as City payed for Silva would of been a true price. Good player though no doubt, his goal the other night was quality!

Like I said, bad game to look at anyone as the French attitude and 'display' was dead poor.

France did everything right bar score. And it's not like they didn't create good chances. The missed some big ones.

Yeah, they dominated possession and had chances as you'd expect. But second half, in particular, they never looked like scoring outside of a few scrambles.

****, Luxembourg could well have nicked the win if the lads cross shot had hit the post and go in rather than bouncing the other way.

Reall poor overall display considering the talent/ price differential on the pitch.

Last edited:
Clyne ommited from the UCL squad is he injured long term or something or is he on the way out?

Back injury. Which suggests it's a far bigger concern than first feared as the groups go into December. But then you can't rush back problems and have to let them heal naturally. God speed Nathanial.

Maybe he should have a word with a certain Brazilian who makes Lazarus like recoveries from those things ..... ?

Thankfully we have two boss young lads who you now aren't worried at all about playing the highest level of all in the CL.

Back injury. Which suggests it's a far bigger concern than first feared as the groups go into December. But then you can't rush back problems and have to let them heal naturally. God speed Nathanial.

Maybe he should have a word with a certain Brazilian who makes Lazarus like recoveries from those things ..... ?

Thankfully we have two boss young lads who you now aren't worried at all about playing the highest level of all in the CL.

ah really cool think I may put TAA in my fantasy UCL squad then if that is the case

Yeah, they dominated possession and had chances as you'd expect. But second half, in particular, they never looked like scoring outside of a few scrambles.

****, Luxembourg could well have nicked the win if the lads cross shot had hit the post and go in rather than bouncing the other way.

Reall poor overall display considering the talent/ price differential on the pitch.

Expg was 3.5. Poor or not, thats seriously unlucky not to win

He's gone next summer either way.

Being replaced by TAA in the now and longterm. No way Clyne is going to play backup, would be in his best interest he left.

If there's one thing Klopp's learnt/ taken from last year it's having quality depth and rotating the squad. I think the drop off when key injuries hit/ the AFCON shook him. We've seen the heavy rotation already this year and we're only 5 games in.

Clyne is the perfect foil to Trent when you don't need to attack as much and want more defensive solidity. Both offer different outlets tactically. Both will get their share of games. All the players in the squad are fully bought into the project. It's like your fears over Oxlade-Chamberlain. That midfield will rotate a lot and there's the great variety of 7 players now to add to it. Along with him being more than able cover wide.

Until someone starts kicking off, which nobody has to date nor are showing any signs of, even the back end depth fillers; just roll with having the strongest and deepest quality group we've had in a long time.

Last edited:
Here's what I'll never get.

People want a bigger squad with quality depth. Sound. We fell foul of that last season and it was one of the key factors of the summer needs.

But then when you add to that, in the next breath there's this big worry about unhappy players and places being lost. Who's place is this one taking? OMG Can will want out now Keita's here et all. And it's not just you d. It's a common theme among L'pool fans who seem to worry about their side more than anyone. And complete contradictory madness. You need a quality group of 17/ 18 similar level players as your base today and we now have that.

Trent's 18. He's a terrific talent. But he still has a LONG way to go to be first choice over a season. We've a shed load of games. I know you've personally some inane (to me) dislike of Clyne. But he's a solid, reliable FB who'll continue to be a big part of this squad.

Last edited:
Agree with you about squad depth but Im just thinking about it from a players perspective. A manager is always going to have a good idea about who is in his first team. Then will see which player is first choice and which is backup when we see the lineup for a cup game and the lineup for league or european games.

Back