The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
There should be no question of getting rid of Klopp, but let's not act like some of those moaning on twitter are not also match going fans. Klopp beefs bit of a wake up moment, because these are ever present issues since her arrived, and ones he needs to solve. Granted it's the least valuable, but that's one less trophy that can be one, and at such an early stage too.

For me, not signing a CB to address that defence is a sackable offence. :D

When the problem is systematic I'm not sure it would have.

There are no real leaders or people who are going to take control and do the bollocking when it needs putting out. You just have half-competent CB's with no leadership personalities whatsoever.

For me you really need leadership at the back, **** look at Arsenal as proof, they play 'attractive' football but won't ever win **** because they can't build a defence/spine to their team.

For me, not signing a CB to address that defence is a sackable offence. :D

Maybe, but is hiring new players done by Klopp? Or there is a director or something than does the thing? Maybe Klopp asked for that but the director messed up with Van Dijk and then he couldn't get another either for not having funds, considering the asking prices were too much, in which case Klopp wouldn't be the one sacked. IIRC Klopp did talk about CB not being that much of a necessity, but even if he appears a bit nuts that doesn't mean he can't know to be diplomatic and tell a lie to the press to avoid making the club appear as incompetent or ignoring the manager, as we all know how it'd be if he said something like "I've asked for a CB, we need a CB but these guys can't do their job properly".

Personally, after following somewhat news and stuff about signings in Real Madrid basket section, I refuse to think I know who signs. We had Ettore Messina and we had first that he made the signings, but later he didn't do any signings, specially since it was clear he didn't want Begic but got forced to move a player off the team that then almost no signing was his; then he was replaced by Pablo Laso after two disappointing seasons (he did resign after a shameful performance of the players against Montepaschi, looking very much like not wanting to win, the one time I could believe that recurrent idea of players trying to force a manager out). Some signings happened of players and even in that first season the signings were made with him, by him or at his back. My theory is the cleaning lady picks a series of basketball magazines and throws a few darts, then they pick whatever player was hit.

As for the knobheads, they're everywhere. I'm Spanish so I only have a few English followed, from FM things, so I see very little of Liverpool or non Spanish news, my TL is 90% Real Madrid fans, so while those I follow directly are mostly decent, I still see a lot of RTs of such knobheads. One day I'll roll my eyes so hard they'll fall off and reach Vladivostok before stopping. Probably the worst knobheads: they make a storm against sports press when it talks **** about some of our players (foreign players, because our press is not xenophobic, no sir), but give them a few months/days, wait for that guy's first not great match and then they'll be repeating everything the press said, even if the facts on the pitch are incompatible with them.
The first sin of everyone: They never consider there is a rival who also plays and can do things right, too. It's like they thought "my team is the only playing and the opposition is an AI team with a set difficulty, that considering my team is the best, has to be, said difficulty can't be higher than easy". Not to mention that paradox that if you read them: the best players are those not at Real Madrid, the Real Madrid players are ******, starting by Ronaldo and Bale, and they're Segunda B level, but it's unforgivable if they don't win against Bayern Munich. It's sooooo annoying at times to see the football tweets. Of course, if I'm watching the match, whatever similarity between what I read and what's happening is pure coincidence.

There are no real leaders or people who are going to take control and do the bollocking when it needs putting out. You just have half-competent CB's with no leadership personalities whatsoever.

For me you really need leadership at the back, **** look at Arsenal as proof, they play 'attractive' football but won't ever win **** because they can't build a defence/spine to their team.

There's no leadership in the team period outside of Milner and he doesn't play regularly at present.

Bur that still doesn't take away a lot of our issues are systematic as much as personnel wise. Do certain areas need upgrading? Undoubtedly. But the way we are schematically won't be fixed by just upgrading the CH's.

There's no leadership in the team period outside of Milner and he doesn't play regularly at present.

Bur that still doesn't take away a lot of our issues are systematic as much as personnel wise. Do certain areas need upgrading? Undoubtedly. But the way we are schematically won't be fixed by just upgrading the CH's.

He's also got to drill the centre mids on tracking runners. Now if one saying that's also unfixable, then there is a big issue with how Klopp is playing. Liverpool have holes at set pieces, defender errors, and midfield errors. I haven't even mentioned goalkeepers. We're not going to talk about getting rid of Klopp, because that's just stupid. But it his absolutely his responsibility to fix the system, or change the system, because it's not got better that side since he arrived.

And aggregation and bravery especially in midfield.

I have thought this for some time. I cant remember the last really aggressive DM/CM we had.

Can anyone think of one we had who is more recent that Mascherano? He is the last DM of that type I remember us having.

I have thought this for some time. I cant remember the last really aggressive DM/CM we had.

Can anyone think of one we had who is more recent that Mascherano? He is the last DM of that type I remember us having.

Lucas.

Same centre-half. Matip is soft as ***** for someone that possesses all the tools.

Skrtel was probably the last CB that you'd be intimidated by as an opposition striker. You knew whether he was getting the ball or not, he's taking a chunk of you too. Bit of a scumbag at times with his challenges, but many of the top aggressive CB's were. United lacked this since Vidic. Bailly has since taken this crown... then again, you wouldn't fancy going into a 50/50 with Rojo either mind you.

Skrtel indeed. Fast, strong, incapable of intelligent thought, absolutely determined to lunge tackle everything in his path, and all that combined with a face of Auschwitz tower guard.

He may not have been a very good defender but he sure as **** was one scary dude.

Last edited:
Indeed. Prone to boneheaded moments, but he definitely planted some seeds of fear into opposition attackers. Not without his flaws, but you sure as **** don't concede all of those set-piece goals/chances with him either.

We conceded more than our share of stupid goals from set pieces with Skrtel back there. Haven't defended them properly since Rafa.

Nobody's been dominant the air since Hyppia. Save for Nick the Greek for a short spell.

https://twitter.com/SoccerPulseApp/status/910493537673842690

I am guessing this is from a while bacl but I could listen to klopp talk about tactics all day on the big sky pad

Exactly. The club is on a complete upward trajectory and the healthiest it's been in most all facets, on and off the pitch, in the PL era. And it's mainly all down to that one man.

But you come out of a 10 day, 4 game hugely frustrating, grim spell and suddenly all the reactionary types who scream the loudest online are painting it as 'the season over/ L'pool a million miles behind the other 5/ FSG OUT!!!!!/ Klopp OUT!!!!!' and all negative points in between. Most all of whom were singing a COMPLETELY different tune going into the City game. Amazing what a week and a half does to bring out the very worst in your so-called 'fans' huh?

Yes, it's been real frustrating to see the same picture three straight games of completely dominating teams, failing to score and kill games off, then one mistake and the opposition scoring costing you the game. (Side note: I sat through two games last Sunday. Chelsea giving three golden chances to Arsenal through defensive mistakes. Utd doing the same to Everton. But Arsenal's finishing was rank bad. And Utd has de Gea. Along with Rooney ******** one wide he should have done better with. But every mistake from this L'pool side right now is being punished and adding to the narrative.). Yes, it was utterly gutting to go out the League Cup at the first hurdle against utter ***** midweek. Life is by no means great to be a Red right now.

But people lose all sense of perspective when that happens so close together and turn into complete, embarrassing dickheads. And that's so-called L'pool 'fans' before you even get to the media and oppo. supporters weighing in. As Klopp said today, you'd think this team was pointless and the worst side the league. Not one just going through a poor run of form.

To take a positive on Wednesday's defeat, at least we know January will be a **** of a lot easier this year without the two League Cup semis others will be contesting. And to equate to last season, as we always seem to have at least one real bad month a year, hopefully, last years January/ February is happening early in September. We're just going through a tough spell. Nottin' less. Nottin' more. And they'll be out of it sooner rather than later. This is a darn good football team that will be competing for major honours the end of the season.

Reasoned discussion is sound. And many are legit asking questions of some things the managers doing. Myself included. But to all those 'woe is us. The seasons dead. Rip it ALL up!' cliff jumpers, in SEPTEMBER, I don't know what to say. To be calling for the head of the best thing that's happened to this football club in YEARS ..... Seriously, give yer ******* heads a SERIOUS wobble! Either that or you're just permanently miserable, attention seeking cranks that aren't worth the time of day.

The rest of us, we'll keep things in perspective, and look forward to Sat'day tea-time and getting back on it to put the last 4 games behind us and set us up for the long trek to Moscow.

'You'll Never Walk Alone' ..... A LOT of people need a serious sit-down talk as just what that and being a Liverpudlian means!

Last edited:
Lovely, terrifically penned read from Gutmann that evoked a whole host of memories this Sat'day morning:

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/09/leicester-city-v-liverpool-big-match-preview-2/

It's funny if you went by the media or social media, you'd think Liverpudlians would be dead down right now and not looking forward to facing Leicester again so quickly after yet another defeat down there Tuesday. But the majority of people I've come across this week, and certainly all those friends who'll be at the match this tea-time (bar my good friend Mike. But he's a pessimistic **** the best of times lol), are all looking forward to getting back on it and having a chance to put the grim frustration of the last 4 games dip behind us and L'pool back to winning ways.

Friday nights treble of the U-23's perfect start extending to 6 out of 6 beating 'Spurs 4-2, the 18's continuing their unbeaten start to the year moving 2nd with a 3-1 win the Mini (mini) Derby, and the girls opening up their season with another Derby victory, 2-0 at Everton; has set things up nicely. Let's go make it 4 out of 4 Redmen and remind Leicester just who they actually are to set us up perfectly for the long trek to Moscow. (On that, how nice was it for the Russian authorities to warn both ourselves and Utd to behave yesterday? How about you don't have us both in the same, VERY dodgy City over successive nights then? Morons.).

Quietly confident of ending the 4 game rut later. The manager has mentioned being P twice now this week at the soft goals conceded so you can be certain they'll of had a SERIOUS rocket up their collective behinds. Take the chances we never the last three games, and we'll comfortably end the Leicester who-do.

WTRWWAW! More of that please boys.

And yeah Rob lad. Yers Grandad Arthur knew EXACTLY what he was talking about.

Up the 'Pool. Mighty Reds!

Back