The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
'You shouldn't need to score 2 at home against Burnley to get a win' ..... After you've had 35 attempts at goal. 21 on target.

This is a redundant conversation.

We racked up similar shot tallies in our home draws last season. Doesn't mean we didn't struggle in the bigger picture. As much as we like to consistently call it "one of those days" (I know how it feels), we have to realize that if it occurs so much, it can't be coincidental/bad luck.

Liverpool simply need to sort out that defence. They need to be more organised in set pieces. Who knows, maybe they also need to pull up their socks in def transition too (as you point out with the midfielders not tracking runners) - but whatever the case, it only seems to happen in these type of games.

We racked up similar shot tallies in our home draws last season. Doesn't mean we didn't struggle in the bigger picture. As much as we like to consistently call it "one of those days" (I know how it feels), we have to realize that if it occurs so much, it can't be coincidental/bad luck.

And as got pointed out to you yesterday, it doesn't happen with regularity. That's the thing. Just when it does, it's costly and gets magnified the media. But there's no 'agenda' out there.

But when it happens in succession, like this week, or through the January/ February period when everything went to Holy ****; you, and everyone else, jumps all over it. And then come out with more B/S that we don't like to hear it when we're doing the complete opposite by critiquing it. But NOT focusing solely on CH mistakes like yourself but the all-round failings in this week's games.

We know our defensive problems. We know we need to improve. We also know our defending, on the whole, isn't half as bad as is made out nor that much worse than most teams in this league. ('Any Utd defender would upgrade L'pool's defence' please. Put Mignolet behind anyone not called Bailey and see how they don't get away with a lot of poor defending over the course of a season.). Along with knowing a lot of the problems start before they even get to the back line. Like two of the three goals the last four days that Can could well have prevented. Regardless of how bad Lovren and Klaven's mistakes were. It's a collective. Everything we do is as a team. Good or bad.

But you get three costly mistakes in 4 days and the same rhetoric starts again without looking at the whole picture.

Last edited:
We would have equalled the clubs best ever run of 5 home clean sheets in a row yesterday. Which would have been 8 out of the last 11 league games. With the lowest goals conceded over a 38 game rolling game period for over 4 years.

But because we have the propensity to still make boneheaded mistakes, that have ended up playing a part in two draws that should have been wins this week, nobody wants to talk about any positives and the way Liverpool's defending has improved a heck of a lot from when Klopp arrived. (Best defensive record for 5 seasons last term.).

Does it need to improve? No question. Does the personnel need to improve? Again, no question. We know our issues back there.

But there's never any media balance on this as any positive doesn't fit their agenda for sales/ clicks/ views about 'L'pool's repeated defensive issues.'

Last edited:
I didn't see any of your Sevilla game nor commented on it. My interest in this game solely lay with the fact it proved a banana skin last season.

You know where I stand, my views, and I yours. Leave it at that

I more often than not leave the U-18's/ 23's games on here but I can't believe the scheduling of both the 23's against Tottenham at Anfield this coming Friday evening and at the same time the 18's Derby at Kirkby against Everton!

I was half planning on going down to watch the Mini- (mini)- Derby but it'd been nice to not have it clashing with a U-23's game. I'm sure quite a few would like to watch both. I would say I'm surprised the club has agreed to that. But then I'm past being surprised in the PL era of fans not counting.

Good luck the U-23's at West 'Am this evening trying to maintain their 100% start the league to go 5 out of 5. Stating the obvious, but it'll be telling if the likes of Woodburn, Ejaria and maybe Wilson aren't out there that they'll be in the squad for the League Cup at Leicester tomorrow evening. With 4
straight aways over three different competitions, with the long *** trek to Moscow included the next 13 days; rotation you'd imagine will be heavy over the period.

Yes, and you drew 1-1? My point stood; you struggle to get results in these type of games. If you don't score 2+, there's always obvious, unresolved weaknesses for the opposition to target. You shouldn't need to score 2+ against Burnley at home to get a win. You often pointed out Sir Alex having a similar mindset to Klopp in terms of attack wins this league, but a defence is pivotal too. In the 2007/08 & 2008/09 seasons (our best era of the century), we had 14x 1-0 wins in the league. 14! So 25% of our league wins in this period were 1-0.

To be champions, 1 goal has to be enough sometimes. To score 2 & 3+ to win a game isn't sustainable. It will bring you enjoyment when you're sat in the stadium and what not's, but will it win you championships?

Basel? Could've done better with the headed chance, don't recall anything clearcut other than that. Would've liked Bailly & Jones on the pitch over the fraud that conned me and so many others in LvG's time, Smalling, and a lowly confident & match rusty Lindelof, but it was fine.

Over the last 2 years, Liverpool have consistently given up high quality chances. Not loads but a consistent number. They are the goals you concede from. They also have issues at set pieces. This against hasn't changed much. Ita not an agenda to say it,oddly enough it's backed up by epxg statistics so it's not pundits being lazy either.

Liverpools Xpg against Sevilla wasn't all that high: 2.22, but that also included the missed penalty. Sevilla's was 0.97

..... Ita not an agenda to say it,oddly enough it's backed up by epxg statistics so it's not pundits being lazy either.

I never said it was. I said the likes of Shearer have a patent agenda when they only focus on the CH's/ defenders as a whole and not the mistakes leading upto that point like Can's major part in Burnley's goal Sat'day. (And Sevilla's first through the week.). Made worse that they stay quiet until a costly mistake happens in a game and then they're out in full force.

I expect Rh to twist that given the way he's been lately but come on man, you're normally far better than to do that.

I never said it was. I said the likes of Shearer have a patent agenda when they only focus on the CH's/ defenders as a whole and not the mistakes leading upto that point like Can's major part in Burnley's goal Sat'day. (And Sevilla's first through the week.). Made worse that they stay quiet until a costly mistake happens in a game and then they're out in full force.

I expect Rh to twist that given the way he's been lately but come on man, you're normally far better than to do that.

Except more often than not, it's the defenders making the errors. So he's not twisted anything. They aren't quiet. Been saying the same thing for 2 years now

Nah. They say nottin' through all the clean sheets this run. But he's (Shearer and his ilk) all over Watford and Burnley this year. Palace and Arsenal, not so much.

It's the TEAM making the errors this past week. Back to front.

But hey, as frustrating as the 4 dropped points have been when we should have scored more than enough to batter both, those games are past and it's onto 4 very important away's in 13 day's starting tomorrow evening.

Last edited:
Worst kept secret in L'pool, Danny Ward officially playing tomorrow.

3 'keepers in one season by choice. Well, I guess it's innovative if nottin' else. Shrugs.

L'pool have scored three or more against a bottom 13 side only 3 times this calendar year? That's criminal the way most those games have been dominated.

And yet again, for what seems the umpteenth time, we set a club PL record for attempts/ shots on goal in a game Sat'day.

The quality of chances created (looking at you Phil Sat'day going for the individual goal all the time and either taking on one man two many or just blamming it from anywhere) and finished seriously needs to be upped there to kill teams off. Never mind big chances conceded. Big chances created and not being taken to kill teams off when we're up the score and on top is as costly as anything.

Thankfully nobody is really playing that great to be running away from anyone right now but you'd think over the next 10 games runs will be put together and the league will take shape. A few team issues need fixing ASAP both ends the park you get left behind.

Curious Danny Ings wasn't a part the 23's tonight at West Ham. (Won 2-0 to move to 5 wins out of 5 on the year in PL2.). Seems early but is he down to be part of the 18 tomorrow at Leicester? 2 goal scorer tonight Harry Wilson and Ovie Ejaria certainly won't be as they turned out at Dagenham.

So as expected that leaves Woodburn playing. Hopefully, he gets the start. Loving the probability of seeing Gomez in his natural CH position too. I know you have a thing against Clyne dialkh. (for some strange reason to me.). But his injury has ironically added to the CH issues with Klaven, still unfairly on him as he was never bought as that, remaining third choice and playing for more than was ever intended, whilst Joe rotates with the even younger Trent at RB. Sure we'd of seen Gomez at CH the league already this year if Clyne hadn't done his back. (He's started running outside again so that's a step forward.).

Robertson has a **** of a left peg on him. Dom has to gamble more and trust that robbo can find him.

Curious Danny Ings wasn't a part the 23's tonight at West Ham. (Won 2-0 to move to 5 wins out of 5 on the year in PL2.). Seems early but is he down to be part of the 18 tomorrow at Leicester? 2 goal scorer tonight Harry Wilson and Ovie Ejaria certainly won't be as they turned out at Dagenham.

So as expected that leaves Woodburn playing. Hopefully, he gets the start. Loving the probability of seeing Gomez in his natural CH position too. I know you have a thing against Clyne dialkh. (for some strange reason to me.). But his injury has ironically added to the CH issues with Klaven, still unfairly on him as he was never bought as that, remaining third choice and playing for more than was ever intended, whilst Joe rotates with the even younger Trent at RB. Sure we'd of seen Gomez at CH the league already this year if Clyne hadn't done his back. (He's started running outside again so that's a step forward.).
I'm just basing it on what I've seen all last season mate. We've had this argument many times, but it's quite funny when a CB by trade Joe Gomez is a better crosser of the ball than you. Any other team outside the top 4 and he would be a decent player but Klopp's system needs FB's who offer more offensively and unfortunately, that's not Clynes game. I'm just thinking ruthless mate, if we want to challenge for the league and more, we need better than Clyne. Hopefully, TAA and Gomez can push each other to be that player.

Back