The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I knew you were being sarcastic mate, I meant the kneejerk response towards Moreno in general. Also my bad was a tad premature of me to say he didnt put a foot wrong but he did have a good 1st half, even in the 2nd half during his nightmare 10 mins he cleared a backstick header that was about to be converted. And he hasn't been defensively inept all season, he has done very well and its expected he will be caught out during games at time considering he's attacking exploits, but for the most parts he's ventures forwards have been timed very well.

I just can't agree with you that he's done well. He's been average at best (along with out entire back-line to be honest), and while he hasn't been the root cause of our poor defensive displays, he himself adds insecurity to the back line through his poor defensive positional play. His mindset is not 'defence first' so he gets caught in forward position quite often and he doesn't deal well with one-on-one situations. You have to remember that his position is left Back, not Left Wing - he will be judged on his defending and attacking. Good attacking play shouldn't excuse his poor defensive displays.

I said it above, take him out of the left back role and move him forward and all my criticisms end. I just don't think he'e cut out to be a defensive player; in the same way you wouldn't play Messi in a defensive role; his instinct is to go forward, not to stay back.

At least you all got an extra day's rest before facing a Chelsea team arriving back from Azerbaijan in the wee hours of Thursday. Fear Chelsea will likely lose steam after 30 minutes just like what happened vs City.

I just can't agree with you that he's done well. He's been average at best (along with out entire back-line to be honest), and while he hasn't been the root cause of our poor defensive displays, he himself adds insecurity to the back line through his poor defensive positional play. His mindset is not 'defence first' so he gets caught in forward position quite often and he doesn't deal well with one-on-one situations. You have to remember that his position is left Back, not Left Wing - he will be judged on his defending and attacking. Good attacking play shouldn't excuse his poor defensive displays.

I said it above, take him out of the left back role and move him forward and all my criticisms end. I just don't think he'e cut out to be a defensive player; in the same way you wouldn't play Messi in a defensive role; his instinct is to go forward, not to stay back.
Well blame the scouts who scouted him I guess. Considering before he signed for LFC he was a WB at Seville and never played FB for a sustained period of time. You cant just say move him further forward as he doesn't have the skill to consistenly beat his opp man plus he is too one footed. I think youre being a tad harsh on him, he has made marked improvements and due to the nature of how we play I guess we will be suscpect defensively.

Well blame the scouts who scouted him I guess. Considering before he signed for LFC he was a WB at Seville and never played FB for a sustained period of time. You cant just say move him further forward as he doesn't have the skill to consistenly beat his opp man plus he is too one footed. I think youre being a tad harsh on him, he has made marked improvements and due to the nature of how we play I guess we will be suscpect defensively.

I am being harsh on him but that's because he doesn't perform well in the role being asked of him. :P I'm not sure how you can improve a poor defensive system without criticising under performing players. To play the way he dose, combined with the style of play we have, you need a back 3 or a world class back 2. It's a mix of tactical naivety and personal defensive failures. I'm sure he's not happy with his own performance today and I can pretty much guarantee what's I'm saying about him is very pleasant compared to what he's saying to himself.

Flashbacks of Watford on opening day, late scrappy corner. I've been reasonably impressed with Moreno this season - relative to his previous body of work - but you've got to wonder why Robertson doesn't get more chances, even if it's just to rest Moreno

Flashbacks of Watford on opening day, late scrappy corner. I've been reasonably impressed with Moreno this season - relative to his previous body of work - but you've got to wonder why Robertson doesn't get more chances, even if it's just to rest Moreno

Aye, I was saying it to my dad earlier that we can't really measure how much Moreno's improved since he's not being compared agasint anyone. Robertson has had one game (in the League cup agasint weaker opposition admittedly) but the quality of his crossing was superb. Moreno's definitely improved from the 2015/16 seasons but to be fair, it would have been harder to get worse. I think he set our standards of him so low, combined with how low the performances of our defenders in general, that any improvement now feels like a massive improvement - but is it really enough to still be first team quality?

Mate was waiting on Liverpool for half a grand last night, absolutely gutted for him. Counting his dosh at half time.

https://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2017/11/sevilla-3-liverpool-3-match-review/

Reading this report and on twitter that it was an utter shambles. Hope youre fine mate and atleast managed to catch the game.

Shambles doesn't begin to describe it mate. I mean the Police in Spain have always been some of the worst on the Continent for hitting first and asking questions later. But Seville took it to another level.

Atko sumnes it up perfectly there. Seville is a brilliant City. Well arguably the best in Spain. Brilliant people and cheap as chips. Same Malaga on Sunday where we're currently headed back to the train as I type. But then you've the A1 ****** in Uniform .....

Got in just as the anthem was being played. After getting the ground 8:10 PM. 35 minutes before KO. Mad lack of organisation round the turnies. The bizzies just marching through at will knocking everyone there path out the way. All dressed like frigging Robbo Cops without so much as an 'excuse me.' Stewards that literally ripped open the one girl in our parties handbag open without even asking her to open it. Then taking a battery pack off her to be collected after. (More on that in a mo.). Then stewards telling yer to just take any seat. Now, that's an 'unwritten law' Euro aways. Has been for years. Nobody is ever in the seat they have a ticket for. You just pick an available speck and everyone's sound with that. But the Seville authorities messed it up that bad outside, they ended up lashing lads with lower tickets the upper and vice versa. Conpletely compromising safety with over crowding. And anyone trying to go the right section was getting either manhandled or just smacked and lashed out. MAJORLY over aggressive with no justification at all. Again, considering the amount of Reds in Seville, it'd been a brilliantly good natured, well behaved trip. Sun cracking the flags, ale flowing, great scran. Boss vibe with the locals. And then yers are met by the **** squad. I guess I was lucky I got in on time and only got manhandled. Although I did get threatened with a batton wielding ******* as I waited for the earlier mentioned girl our group to pick up her moby battery charger along with loads of others who'd had similar and flags taken off them. Only for this steward to start trying to physically push me out the ground as I waited to then have said ******** bizzie join him when I 'politely' told him to ******* do one after explaining I was just waiting for a mate to get her stuff back from a situation the Seville authorities needlessly self created.

Then you finally get back the bar and start seeing lads who'd been bruised and battered by the Police and then lashed out the ground, if they weee lucky enough to get in the first place, and it appears we got away like lucky.

Again, Seville was boss and its citizens are real friendly, sound people. Apart from the **** in uniform. Interesting to read Leicester and City fans having similar experiences there the last few years.

Great to see the media picking up on it and Liverpool being proactive for once in backing us and releasing a statement: Liverpool Football Club statement - Liverpool FC

But doubtless UEFA will do F-all.

Mad how Moscow and Maribor, not to mention Hoffenheim, organised games better this year and were all WAY friendlier/ helpful in terms of Policing/ stewarding than a top la Liga club.

Mate was waiting on Liverpool for half a grand last night, absolutely gutted for him. Counting his dosh at half time.

Shambles defensively. I think too many Liverpool fans let the goals per game conceded shield them from how bad some it has been. They have left 7 clean sheets from 20, which is not horrible. But in the other 13 they have conceded 28. That's bad

Their record this season vs the PL top plus the more difficuly teams in Europe reads as (courtesy of Jonathan Northcroft)

[FONT=&quot]Liverpool vs the better sides faced in 17-18 (PL top 8 plus Spartak and Seville)p 9 w 1 d 6 l 2. 14 scored, 19 conceded.4 goals lost in stoppage time at end of a half. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Shambles defensively. I think too many Liverpool fans let the goals per game conceded shield them from how bad some it has been. They have left 7 clean sheets from 20, which is not horrible. But in the other 13 they have conceded 28. That's bad

Their record this season vs the PL top plus the more difficuly teams in Europe reads as (courtesy of Jonathan Northcroft)

Liverpool vs the better sides faced in 17-18 (PL top 8 plus Spartak and Seville)p 9 w 1 d 6 l 2. 14 scored, 19 conceded.4 goals lost in stoppage time at end of a half.

This is just how they roll.
If they concede, they will concede a lot. If they dont score, they will shoot a lot and have no goal. If they have a goal, they will end up with 3-4 goals.

Special mention to karius who in the grand scheme of things saved us a point.

Special mention to karius who in the grand scheme of things saved us a point.

Apart from the perennially braindead Moreno, the whole defence played well. Lovren had a good game. Klaven was sound. Gomez, after a ropey first period, was superb second half. And Karius made two viral saves. As well as killing some Sevilla lad as a bonus.

The main issue second half, aside from a lax, slow start they never picked up from, was the completely non-existent midfield and everything coming straight back. Did we even have any midfielders out there earlier second half?

I'd probably be more P'ed off by the second half shambles if it weren't for being treated like ***** by the Seville Police.

Heck of a a good game of football though if you weren't heavily invested.

Lovren and Klavan were actually solid yeah, but I gotta say that Gomez didn't impress me at all. I lost count how many times he got beaten on his side. Not even gonna mention the guy opposite of him.

But the midfield, oh dear... People are pointing fingers at Hendo, and while he didn't have a good game, he didn't get much help from Gini and Phil either. Gini especially is just not good enough to be a starter for us, that's my opinion after watching every game he's played for us. The few times he excels, it's off a good team performance. The rest of the time he's a passenger who takes FAR too long on the ball and consistently kills any tempo on the ball. Even against Southampton, a game we won 3-0, he frustated me to no end. Can't wait for Keita, but him alone won't be enough. Just wish we were in for a proper DM with real defensive qualities.

Mad scoreline.
Didn't have a chance to watch it, but I've a fondness for Seville, gorgeous little place to visit.

So I was happy to see them grab 3 goals and get a point.

Not sure if this is true, but if it is, wow.

Terrible news that Sevilla - coach Eduardo Berizzo has been diagnosed with prostrate cancer. Apparently he told the players at halftime. What a response from his players.
Wish him same recovery as his team last night.
#GetWell

Back