The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Not posted since all the Fekir stuff's come out. It's all a bit in the air really, different journalists all saying different things, but the one thing's for sure is we're not confident in his knee. **** position to be in. We sign him, he does his ligaments = wasted 50 million. Don't sign him, he'll probably just get better and better and someone else will get him and he'll be sound.

Lots of people saying it's similar to the vvd and Keita deals, 'if klopp wants him, he'll get him'. Well that doesn't apply at all here. VVD/Keita were difficult deals to get done, this one is about an reoccuring injury. If we're not confident on him we'll have to look elsewhere, which is where it gets interesting, and will prove a lot about our scouting system. In the past we've not gotten our first choices, but had to panic and get 2nd/3rd choices who have underwhelmed (think back to 2012/2013 etc).

Yeah it's a tricky situation for sure, as this year it's important more than ever to close all the deals early. Not only there'll be the usual price hike after the World Cup, but if some of the rumored moves end up happening (Ronaldo, Bale, mebbe Lewandowski?) it's gonna start a game of striker musical chairs all over the continent.

Scouse, it's not about Lyons accounts, that's for sure. As you can just date the move anyway. Pretty sure the window didn't used to officially open till July anyway.

Knee injuries are an issue, but it's highly individualised

Just reading Alisson yesterday saying he hopes and believes his future will be sorted out before the WC starts Thursday.

Maybe. Just maybe .....

Sidenote: Just how does Bobby not start for them? That must be some Brazilian side for him to be sat the sidelines.
Apparently part of Firmino's issue is he never played in the top division in Brazil so he just isn't as trusted for whatever reason. First most Brazilians knew about him was when he was already in germany or when he went to Pool as he only played second division football in Brazil

Manager gone and now six players on their way too.

The outgoings are showing no signs of stopping at Liverpool Ladies.

Read

Not posted since all the Fekir stuff's come out. It's all a bit in the air really, different journalists all saying different things, but the one thing's for sure is we're not confident in his knee. **** position to be in. We sign him, he does his ligaments = wasted 50 million. Don't sign him, he'll probably just get better and better and someone else will get him and he'll be sound.

Lots of people saying it's similar to the vvd and Keita deals, 'if klopp wants him, he'll get him'. Well that doesn't apply at all here. VVD/Keita were difficult deals to get done, this one is about an reoccuring injury. If we're not confident on him we'll have to look elsewhere, which is where it gets interesting, and will prove a lot about our scouting system. In the past we've not gotten our first choices, but had to panic and get 2nd/3rd choices who have underwhelmed (think back to 2012/2013 etc).

I have to admit, I have not seen a lot of Lyon matches but since our interest became apparent, I have had a chance to catch a handful of their games. The boy is already at the level Coutinho was but more powerful on the ball and better decision making.

I don't know whether there are any other number 10s out there that are in that class and are attainable. So lets hope it all works out.

There is a great thread on twitter from this sports therapist on why (possibly) we were so unsure. He concluded based on the information available publicly on Fekir's injury, that he will need periodic surgery on his knee and is likely to develop osteoarthritis which will have an impact on the longevity of his career.

For anybody interested in reading it:

https://twitter.com/SamwiseV/status/1005211729138155520

Tbh always liked to watch it. Didn’t understand why we folded in 2005 and happy we are starting up again. But if it bothers people honestly sorry and will stop!

So long as you’re not lowering yourself into the sewer and linking the S*n, I aren’t bothered what you post.

I was just curious as to why.

Around the time Mo hit the 30 mark and was leading every player in Europe, I posted how he was playing to the level of Messi and Ronaldo and was a serious comsideration to win the World Player of the Year. Which inevitably got twisted in a response of ‘when he’s had the same number of years output as those two then he can be in the conversation’ from our ‘friends’ over the way on here desperately trying to down play the season he was having.

Well, take it from one of the other two protagonists:

Cristiano Ronaldo: Mohamed Salah can win Ballon d'Or | Goal.com

Praise indeed coming Ronaldo and his ego.

I have to admit, I have not seen a lot of Lyon matches but since our interest became apparent, I have had a chance to catch a handful of their games. The boy is already at the level Coutinho was but more powerful on the ball and better decision making.

I don't know whether there are any other number 10s out there that are in that class and are attainable. So lets hope it all works out.

There is a great thread on twitter from this sports therapist on why (possibly) we were so unsure. He concluded based on the information available publicly on Fekir's injury, that he will need periodic surgery on his knee and is likely to develop osteoarthritis which will have an impact on the longevity of his career.

For anybody interested in reading it:

https://twitter.com/SamwiseV/status/1005211729138155520

Very interesting read mate. Thank you.

It’s so hard to really comment without being privy to the medical scans and his medical history regarding the op. Without them, you’re just speculating like everyone else. And ceeeit L’pool for keeping their own council and protecting Fekir’s future in so doing. But something serious sure must have flagged up for them to just turn and walk. You don’t go to all that trouble of finding the ideal replacement for Coutinho, one of the very few on the planet who fits exactly that, to then agree with the player and notoriously hard nosed negotiating club to get to the medical stage, to then walk away on a whim from someone you badly wanted. **** shame and real unlucky to have that, as to all intents and purposes it appears has, flag up.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/fi...l-fc-premier-league-fixtures-2018-19-revealed

Ugh. The West Ham rumours were true. Uninspiring as all heck start but a real nice split of fixtures with a good Chrimbo/ run-in. Hate we’ve dipped out on Bournemouth and Brighton again too. December/ January negates a weekend at the coast in the sun.

However, they haven’t fallen well for for the CL group games. Tottenham away is before MD1. Chelsea away and City home bookend MD2. Arsenal away is before MD4. MD5 comes in Derby week with Everton following. And the final group game is before Utd at home. Hopefully we’ll have the group sewn up by then and can rest a few whilst they won’t be able to!

Like that we’re the first side to go to Tottenham’s new ground too to gategrash that party.

All three midweeks handy too with 2 homes and Burnley away.

Just need to wait on the August- October telly fixtures now the next three weeks or so.

Last edited:
Amidst all the fume over next season’s purple away, I really quite like it myself. Normally a traditionalist of white shirts, black shorts, white socks, with a red trim the white; but football shirts are fashion items and massive business these days and need to appeal to the young in particular to sell. That looks sharp combined with the orange.

And purple is the civic colour of the City.

Nice ring to that for the club that bears the City’s name to be wearing it. (Although no doubt City of L’pool fans think we’re now the jarg Purps haha.).

Last edited:
https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/fi...l-fc-premier-league-fixtures-2018-19-revealed

Ugh. The West Ham rumours were true. Uninspiring as all heck start but a real nice split of fixtures with a good Chrimbo/ run-in. Hate we’ve dipped out on Bournemouth and Brighton again too. December/ January negates a weekend at the coast in the sun.

However, they haven’t fallen well for for the CL group games. Tottenham away is before MD1. Chelsea away and City home bookend MD2. Arsenal away is before MD4. MD5 comes in Derby week with Everton following. And the final group game is before Utd at home. Hopefully we’ll have the group sewn up by then and can rest a few whilst they won’t be able to!

Planning to visit Anfield for the United one... falls just before I have a week off from work...Of course only dreaming right now but who knows....

Back