The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Mad club.

This is quite an amusing little saga distracting from the teadium of the summer.

More entertaining than the Toulon tournament final. But least we won.

Breaking | Liverpool understood to have tried to lower the fee in their pre-existing deal with Lyon after Nabil Fékir's medical, according to @Tanziloic of RMC, who was the individual who broke that a deal was in place between the 2 clubs last month

Last edited:
I don’t see an issue at hand until L’oool actually say anything.

Its just pure speculation augmented by Lyon being Lyon.

Twitter is nottin else if it’s not good entertainment.

FSG are the anti-Christ again (forget the 2 top drawer signings thus far a mere 3 weeks into the window), rhia **** doesn’t happen to other clubs, and all points in between. Based on nottin but speculation and a notoriously mad (sorry Mike but Aulas is) club to negotiate with. With L’pool on complete radio silence since Thursday.

Oh woe is agin apparently. All quite amusing the way folk go full blown ****** on there over little.

This Fekir lad everyone’s talking about. That 20 minute cameo for France just ended ..... We should go after him. He’s proper special.

I don’t see an issue at hand until L’oool actually say anything.

Its just pure speculation augmented by Lyon being Lyon.

The issue is that Liverpool announced it was done to journalists before it was actually done. Hence Lyon tweeting. He's then had issues in his medical. Liverpool wanted to change the agreed fee to cover the risk, Lyon said hang about, and as it stands the deal is off for now.

Not sure why it's being dismissed as speculation when Lyon have tweeted half of this themselves and everyone was happy to believe journalists when it suited them..

1990 - Timothy Berners-Lee invents the internet and creates the first web browser.
2018 - he starts having regrets after trying to follow transfer window on twitter.

The issue is that Liverpool announced it was done to journalists before it was actually done. Hence Lyon tweeting. He's then had issues in his medical. Liverpool wanted to change the agreed fee to cover the risk, Lyon said hang about, and as it stands the deal is off for now.

Not sure why it's being dismissed as speculation when Lyon have tweeted half of this themselves and everyone was happy to believe journalists when it suited them..

I find it real hard to believe, given Lyon and Aulas’ history, that L’pool didn’t believe everything was finalised just for the goal posts to now move. They’ve shut down pretty much everything after the initial van Dijk fiasco so to get caught like that would just fly against how they now conduct their business. As for the medical, again, it’s one inflicting report after another. Both sides of the channel. He’s passed it. He’s failed it. And all points in between. Nothing substantial out of the club so the speculation switched to connecting the knee injury. I’m no MD but missing just 10 games the last 2 seasons is a ****** good record for someone with apparent dodgy knees. All in a very physical league that Ligue 1 is. Especially for forwards. Until the club speaks it’s just guess work and speculation.

Ad happens I’m not concerned as he’ll probably get his way and this will happen after the WC.

Last edited:
I find it real has to believe, given Lyon and Aulas’ history, that L’pool didn’t believe everything was finalised just for the goal posts to now move. They’ve shut down pretty much everything after the initial van Dijk fiasco so to get caught like that would just fly against how they now conduct their business. As for the medical, again, it’s one inflicting report after another. Both sides of the channel. He’s passed it. He’s failed it. And all
ooints in between. Nothing substantial out of the club so the speculation switched to connecting the knee injury. I’m no MD but missing just 10 games the last 2 seasons is a ****** good record for someone with apparent dodgy knees. All in a very physical league that Ligue 1 is. Especially for forwards. Until the club speaks it’s just guess work and speculation.

Ad happens I’m not concerned as he’ll probably get his way and this will happen after the WC.

That's because with all due respect, you can't see Liverpool ever getting it wrong. So far, every decent Liverpool journalists, ones that you're happy to take their word for, as well as several other good European journalists, as well as Lyons own twitter feed are all saying similar things. Are we really saying they are all wrong and Liverpool are right?

With all due respect if you’re resorting to that lame bollocks after the club regularly gets slated in this here thread from myself and others when they get things wrong there endeth this discourse.

Liverpool are entitled to change their stance if they don't like something in the medical history. But the idea that's it's all suddenly the fault of a "wacky" French club doesn't stack up

Liverpool had concerns about the quality of the reconstruction of Nabil Fékir's knee after his ACL injury in 2015, and used his medical results to attempt to renegotiate a deal with Lyon, according to tomorrow's L'Équipe.

Lyon were "smarting" over Liverpool's conduct & pulled the plug tonight - it is "difficult to imagine" how a deal will ever be done between LFC & Lyon for Fékir now, according to tomorrow's L'Équipe.

Still so many conflicting stories on Fekir. The French say one thing. The English say another. And not many are in total agreement ion anything either side of the channel. Did Lyon pull the plug? Did L’pool? Is it still alive? Is it dead?

Certainly one of the maddest 48 or so hour transfer periods for a whiles. Entertaining with all the speculation/ conclusions/ reaction if nothing else

I feel gutted for Fekir to be honest.

We should not have done any media work until the medical results were clear. From what I read today, we backed out of the deal on Friday itself after having apprehensions about the reconstruction of his knee/current situation of the knee. So we did not even try to renegotiate an agreement with Lyon (which in my view would have been a catch 22 for the club anyway).

It is an unfortunate situation we find ourselves in and I don't really know who to blame. Of course the media at both ends will speculate and create speculative stories out of this but its sad for Fekir. Its difficult to foresee a move for him to another big club based on the medical issue, unless the minimum requirement by our medical staff is more stringent than other clubs.

I remember Van Nistelrooy having dodgy knees before signing for United, that one worked out pretty well!

I *hope* Fekir does end up at Liverpool, just because I'd like to watch him in the prem

I feel gutted for Fekir to be honest.

We should not have done any media work until the medical results were clear. From what I read today, we backed out of the deal on Friday itself after having apprehensions about the reconstruction of his knee/current situation of the knee. So we did not even try to renegotiate an agreement with Lyon (which in my view would have been a catch 22 for the club anyway).

It is an unfortunate situation we find ourselves in and I don't really know who to blame. Of course the media at both ends will speculate and create speculative stories out of this but its sad for Fekir. Its difficult to foresee a move for him to another big club based on the medical issue, unless the minimum requirement by our medical staff is more stringent than other clubs.

It’s been just the maddest of mad situations hasn’t it? Still don’t really know what to believe with all the conflicting stories both sides. Even the reliable local Corp have contradicted themselves and conflicted with each other since the club stopped reading them much of anything after Thursday which has just lead to wild speculation all over. He passed his medical. No, he failed it. Liverpool wanted to renogoate and P Aulas off and pulled the plug on the deal. No they didn’t. L’pool pulled the plug. And all points inbetween. Utterly mad weekend that and as you say, Fekir’s the poor F left high and dry. Didn’t effect his performance for France though the other night when he fantastic and he seems in good spirits with his tweets so there is that.

Personally wouldn’t surprise me at all if this still gets done after the WC so it goes down June 1 for the accounts in France but we’ll see. And if doesn’t, no harm no foul. Next man up. Our summer certainly wasn’t predicated on one signing. For me, it’s already been outstanding thus far with two top draw, highly sought after midfielders bagged and we’re only three weeks into the window. And if you include the brilliant, stealth like deal Edwards sorted with a notoriously hard nosed negotiator for Fekir, on top of the same for Keita with another one at Leipzig, his props just keep rising. His last three transfers he’s added a CB as good as anything out there anywhere and two midfielders that instantly come in among the best in their positions the PL. All of whom were highly wanted men from top clubs in England and Europe.

Shame for Fekir but honestly not too perturbed at all like many bellends all over social media I was reading the weekend. If we’ve lost one of the best players in a real talented French WC squad down to any health concerns so be it. It’s not going to dampen the massive feel good factor surrounding the football club right now after the high of last season. And Klopp/ Edwards and his team have MORE than earned our trust to think they’ll have someone else in mind that will fit just as well as Fekir would have.

Just reading Alisson yesterday saying he hopes and believes his future will be sorted out before the WC starts Thursday.

Maybe. Just maybe .....

Sidenote: Just how does Bobby not start for them? That must be some Brazilian side for him to be sat the sidelines.

Back