The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Shakiri. Presuming he signs.

Is this gonna’ be another Clyne where he can do no right for yer d whatever he does?

Asking for a friend .....
he does have a point he very rarly turns up and you just got rid of 1 of thoses in cann looks likes world class 1 game then you dont know he playing for the next few not replying for a friend

he does have a point he very rarly turns up and you just got rid of 1 of thoses in cann looks likes world class 1 game then you dont know he playing for the next few not replying for a friend

At buttons for a difference making talent, which is what he is, he or anyone else narking has no point. Which is all it is when you’re paying £12 million or so. Narking for narkings sake. To say strengthening the squad on a 26-year-old with quality is ‘shortermism’ is just mad.

If last season showed anything, again, it’s the need for quality bodies the squad. A Shaqiri off the bench in Kiev instead of Lallana playing his first hour of football in 6 months would quite possibly have been massive. Not my favourite player by any stretch of the imagination but there’s no denying he’s quality. It’s not like you’re talking £ 40 plus million here for a starter. It’s peanuts for impact depth.

Really don’t see what there’d be to complain about at all?

Last edited:
I think Shaqiri would be a good signing for 12m or so. Defo has the talent in him and would be a very good squad player.

Shaqiri has been poison wherever he has gone got booted out of Bayern and only turned up for Stoke when it mattered to him. You really think he is going to change he's attitude now he might be coming to us. It stinks of short-termism because contrary to popular opinion we don't need squad player what we need is players that can improve the first team i.e The likes of Fekir who can cover multiple positions without a drop in quality. Houllier, Rafa, and Rodgers all made the mistake of signing squad players that inflated the wage bill and just blocked the path for youngsters. Do you see City buying squad players **** no, they take Silva off they have the other Silva, same goes for Sterling for Mahrez if they sign him. There's a big difference between a squad player and a first-team rotational player. He's not quality and never has been and banging a shot into the top bins after taking 20 shots previously that flew into the stands won't change that.

Yanno’ d, that’s all eerily reminiscent of your argument/ fears against Oxo-Chambo last summer. Who’d now be starting the WC ahead of Ali if he wasn’t so darn unlucky with injuries the boss form and improvement he went through over last year.

Just about the only thing you conceded was the difference making coach Klopp would be for him if he wanted him.

Same principle here mate if Shaqiri is signed. (And it’s only firm interest as of now.). The fellas MORE than earned our trust to think he knows when a signing fits everything he requires and improves on what we have.

Yanno’ d, that’s all eerily reminiscent of your argument/ fears against Oxo-Chambo last summer. Who’d now be starting the WC ahead of Ali if he wasn’t so darn unlucky with injuries the boss form and improvement he went through over last year.

Just about the only thing you conceded was the difference making coach Klopp would be for him if he wanted him.

Same principle here mate if Shaqiri is signed. (And it’s only firm interest as of now.). The fellas MORE than earned our trust to think he knows when a signing fits everything he requires and improves on what we have.
Difference is that Chambo had a good season at wingback but was entirely untested in the middle of the park. Shaqiri has had seasons of sub par performances in his favoured position. I would much rather Klopp wait until preseason is over to judge the returning Wilson. I've no doubt if Shaqiri came he would improve under Klopp but its the drop of in quality from Salah and Mane to Shaqiri that is the point im trying to make. Instead we should be signing a quality player that improves the overal first team. Squad players as cover should be reserved for up and coming youth players.

Understand dilakh's concern, Shaqiri is as far away as I can think of when it comes to the mentality needed to play under Klopp. Everything Klopp usually desires is everything Shaqiri hasn't shown for Stoke. He can produce quality, but it is few and far between. he is inconsistent, lazy, doesn't track back etc.

Hard to see how he fits the system under Klopp in any way but also when you have a player brought in who doesn't fit the mentality, that can rub off on other players as well.

Odd signing anyway, btw Scouse you can't compare it to Ox, has a much better mentality, struggled at Arsenal for consistency but that was not down to personality but more down to several positions and lack of game time.

We’ve already added Fabinho and Keita d. No more two dominant midfielders the entire league their respective roles. With just the troublesome WC putting further additions on hold. That’s massively improved the midfield right there. Fakir would just top it off. We aren’t City backed by a whole freaking State. We can’t sign that and have that again sat on the bench. But to augment that with a quality talent for buttons I don’t particularly care for him but I can’t deny he’s a difference making talent we badly lack in depth) ..... I just don’t understand how anyone could be P with that? ****, he didn’t work out, you’ve lost nottin and get back what you paid for him and more.

You’re talking like this is the early days of FSG pre-Klopp man in referencing what you have previous which has as absolutely no relation in comparison. Rafa chose to fill his squad out with quantity over top quality. The furthest thing to what this man has and continues to do.

Last edited:
If you honestly think we’d buy someone, who ever that happened to be, who didn’t have the right mentality or who wasn’t the right fit z you’ve not been paying attention to this manager and the recruitment his time here.

Same knock on Alex last summer. Not least on here. Attitude. Work rate. Inconsistent talent.

Nobody’s questioning him now.

Meh lets just agree to disagree mate. If he does sign he gets my full support but can a leopard change his spots we shall see.

We’ve already added Fabinho and Keita d. No more two dominant midfielders the entire league their respective roles. With just the troublesome WC putting further additions on hold. That’s massively improved the midfield right there. Fakir would just top it off. We aren’t City backed by a whole freaking State. We can’t sign that and have that again sat on the bench. But to augment that with a quality talent for buttons I don’t particularly care for him but I can’t deny he’s a difference making talent we badly lack in depth) ..... I just don’t understand how anyone could be P with that? ****, he didn’t work out, you’ve lost nottin and get back what you paid for him and more.

You’re talking like this is the early days of FSG pre-Klopp man in referencing what you have previous which has as absolutely no relation in comparison. Rafa chose to fill his squad out with quantity over top quality. The furthest thing to what this man has and continues to do.
Dont you think it would be good to see them play in the league before making such a big claim and Fabinho and Naby!?

Nah. Quite confident to say that. Keita’s a unique talent.

And you yourself spent a good chunk of last summer telling us how boss the Brazilian was when you thought he was Utd bound so he must be a top player right? ;)

Nah. Quite confident to say that. Keita’s a unique talent.

And you yourself spent a good chunk of last summer telling us how boss the Brazilian was when you thought he was Utd bound so he must be a top player right? ;)
Difference between saying he is a good player. And claiming he will be the best in the league ;)

Geez mate you have 16-year-old bits of kids as World Class on a regular basis the United thread so let’s cut the condescension hey?

Fabinho is a very good, multi functional player, who didn't have a very good last season and it cost him his World Cup place, though I'm sure he'll bounce back to his normal levels of quality. To say he's one of the most dominant midfielders in the league, when he hasn't played, is errant nonsense, especially when he wasn't even the most dominant in his position in Ligue 1.

Keita is a brilliant talent, who again wasn't quite as good last season after losing his head after last summer. But at least he can put in a strong claim to be one of the more dominant midfielders in the Bundesliga. But to say that he is in the Premier League, without him actually playing in the Premiership, and coming up the likes of Kante, KBD, Pogba, Silva, Fernandinho, is also nonsense. He could be, and he's in a better position to lay down said claim than Fabinho. But right now he isn't, by virtue of never having kicked a ball in anger in the league.

Sun cracking the flags again. Reds relaxed and bevvying in gorgeous Chester. And a chance to see for the first time just how dominant a midfield duo L’pool have added as the team building moves on another level with the hugely anticipated big match this avvy .....

..... L’pool football is back! The first stepping stone to another season that will be one **** of a ride if it matches the awesome season and memories from last year. Let alone if they take the next step on the trajectory they’re on back to the top of the mountain.

NOW the summer football properly starts in earnest!

I assume you didnt watch the england game Scouse lol. If so howed my boy Harry Wilson play did he discard any thoughts of signing da Oompa Lompa in Klopps mind.

I assume you didnt watch the england game Scouse lol. If so howed my boy Harry Wilson play did he discard any thoughts of signing da Oompa Lompa in Klopps mind.

Interesting crowd dynamic Chester. The England scores announced were met with a mixture of cheers and ‘F England’ from most Reds in attendance. But yanno .....

Scored two the first half. Pretty ‘meh’ the rest of his play but first game and all that. Won 7. Good workout the heat. Particularly second half. Fabinho and Nabby on different sides each half but you can see the instant dominance they’ll have as a pair this league. Fabinho so cool the ball and tactiicaly savvy his half. Spraying it all over from a deep olaymaking role and hitting the post from the edge the box. Nabby was Nabby second half.nin-stop motor winning it all over the park. Only dent was a bad miss, which along with Milner doing the same could have had it pushing double figures. 2 up the half with the two Wilson goals. Origi as profligate as ever in front of goal. Moreno still utter wank. Milner added an early peno the second after Ojo was brought down after a boss through ball from Sturridge. Who score two belters himself. Such a shame he’s made of glass as his talent is up there with anyone as you know. Kent webbed in a 20 yarder and Ings added his name to the seven.

Great to see Clyne back at RB and Joe flipped back inside. That should be the status quo again now Clynes fit. Both stood out the first half. And nice to see Karius both get a great reception and do what he had to do without a hiccup.

Seven goals. No injuries. Two pretty strong sides working hard for 45 minutes eqch. Good extended training exercise to round off the first week back.

Onto Tranmere Tuesday.

Not sure if it will be of interest to you but a relative of mine is best mates with a Rangers player and has apparently been raving about Gerrard as a manager so far and thinks his training of the team etc. is all really good. Obviously means nothing if it doesn't translate into good results. Hoping that he can at least make the SPL somewhat competitive this year, made some good signings and some promising links to players who would do well I think. Them finishing third last year is a huge bonus for him as well as even if he finishes a distant second place from Celtic he can still point to managing Rangers to their best season since their relegations if he gets any heat over the season.

Back