The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
looks like you will be geting fekir afterall

Hopefully. Get Sunday out of the way, let him go on his holidays and sort something the next few weeks.

No rush there as he wouldn’t be starting the season anyway as he’d still be preparing doing his pre-season.

But still the most important piece needs adding in goal.

Hopefully. Get Sunday out of the way, let him go on his holidays and sort something the next few weeks.

No rush there as he wouldn’t be starting the season anyway as he’d still be preparing doing his pre-season.

But still the most important piece needs adding in goal.
well from what i have read hes asked his club to reopen talks and get it done asap

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/307046-xherdan-shaqiri-liverpool-fc-transfer-complete

Get in!

The more I’ve thought about this and looked at him more closely the past month or so since the links hotted up, the more I think on the sly he can be every bit as effective as Fekir. Perfect player for Klopp to do what he does and bring out the best of him consistently. Knowing the manager wanted him since he signed for Munich way back when totally allays any attitude problems to my mind.

To add them both as seems likely will be fantastic.

Lovren said he's one of the very best CB's in the world after last night's match. No laughing at the back.
This is a weird one because he has got a point. A confident Lovren plays like an absolute beast as he has shown many times, but on the flipside we have seen some absolute shocking performances. I'd certainly rank him in the top 10 until we get the next Lovren meltdown...

This is a weird one because he has got a point. A confident Lovren plays like an absolute beast as he has shown many times, but on the flipside we have seen some absolute shocking performances. I'd certainly rank him in the top 10 until we get the next Lovren meltdown...

Ramos, Pique, Varane, Bonucci, Hummels, Chiellini, Van Dijk, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Bailly. There's 10 centre halves better than him without hesitation (literally impressed with how I typed 10 players in like under 1 minute), could probably double it with thought, maybe even give a go at trebling.

Ramos, Pique, Varane, Bonucci, Hummels, Chiellini, Van Dijk, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Bailly. There's 10 centre halves better than him without hesitation (literally impressed with how I typed 10 players in like under 1 minute), could probably double it with thought, maybe even give a go at trebling.
I said a confident inform Lovren perhaps top 10 was a stretch lol. Now i'm scared to say top 20 as I dont want you to hit me with another list. Tbh its easy to say this player is a better defender when the defensive system each team employs says alot about the cb in question. I mean City won a league title with Otamendi and Stones and speaking from a defensive standpoint I'd trust Lovren over them but it worked for Pep as they suited the defensive system he wanted.

It’s utter nonsense of course but I kinda’ like that he’s got that ‘FU! I’m the best’ self confidence vibe going on.

I think its born out of pure frustration for all the **** he gets. He had a real strong second half of last year and was as solid as big Virge the end of the season, which he’s taken on into the WC. But the narrative goes with him and you just know there’s a large portion of the media, and many of our ******** ‘fans’ to be fair, just waiting for him to make a mistake to jump all over him.

Wouldn’t take it too literal mate.

So our next step is at Bury this avvy.

Last time I went to Bury was the mid-90’s for a couple of ressie games when Utd were playing there. They were fun .....

First midweek when they only opened up the arl mainstand so we thought we’d tick off a new ground. Match starts. Someone shouts something. Someone tells him to politely F off. Punches are exchanged. And before you know it this whole mixed stand of L’pool/ Utd lads has pockets of mad fights all over it as it went. With the stewards naturally not interested in getting involved and hardly any bizzies there initially as they totally underestimated the amount that tipped up.

Went back the next next year which was a Sunday, and they opened up the opposite side and gave us our end with what seemed like half of GMP on duty. For a ****** ressie game!

L’pool/ Utd hey? Happy days haha.

It's a result & testament of Klopp's man management. He has Dejan walking around thinking he's a top 10 CB. Jurgen was probably sat home after watching it, saying to himself "that was our little secret Dejan."

Last edited:
What are Liverpool playing at not getting a new GK yet, say it again if Liverpool don't buy one your season will end up with no major silverware. Karius is a calamity and Mignolet is hardly any step up worth noting.

One of Klopp's biggest weaknesses for me is he doesn't address these issues quick enough and when it comes to defence/goalkeeper he seems to think he can get away with it.

Now we can all admire that he might be trying to stick with Karious because the lad has had it rough after that CL final. But lets get it straight, it will get much worse if he ***** up at any time during the new season. Which going off the friendlies so far, is going to happen very soon.

You've needed a good keeper for so long now, Karius despite what some fans may say, has never looked stable to me. Also when he got Van Dijk as CB, that was a position that should of been addressed a season or two earlier than when it happened.

Last edited:
Love yer z.

Few weeks back I question where Mourinho is taking Utd and you have a hissy fit. But you have no qualms situations reversed. Which is sound as it’s a relevant discussion regarding the goalie situation. No issues at all there or any other time you want to question anything else L’pool. It’s a free, public, democratic message board.

Just highly amusing how most of you lads, not least yourself, can’t deal with any the other way around.

As regards the goalie situation, it’s not for the lack of trying. Just Atlético and more so Roma are currently asking for silly money. No question Karius can’t start the season. His head has well and truly gone after Kiev. I don’t think in an ideal World Klopp would want any of the main three here but he’s currently stuck between a rock and a hard place. What do you do when clubs are out pricing their fellas? He has to defend Karius on two fronts. One, to keep harmony in the changies and not go against his ‘person first’ ethos that leads so many players to want to play for him. And two, the perception needs to be there we have a number 1 for opening day when it comes down to negotiations for a ‘keeper. As mentioned, players are already overpriced without clubs being able to use the ‘you have no starter. You’re desperate. We’ll ***** you for even more dough!’ card.

i’ll be stunned if we don’t have a new #1 come the end of the window.

I would completely disagree on waiting for van Dijk. He was the one we indemnified. He’s one of the best CH’s in World football. Why settle for less and now be left with a good rather than top player? Another thing I love about Klopp over say Rafa. He won’t just ‘settle’ and buy for the sake of it. We know who we want who’ll improve the team and fit everything we require in every aspect. On and off the pitch. And if they aren’t available, we’ll wait until they are.

Rather that than just settle and fill the squad up just because.

Last edited:
Love yer z.

Few weeks back I question where Mourinho is taking Utd and you have a hissy fit. But you have no qualms situations reversed. Which is sound as it’s a relevant discussion regarding the goalie situation. No issues at all there or any other time you want to question anything else L’pool. It’s a free, public, democratic message board.

Just highly amusing how most of you lads, not least yourself, can’t deal with any the other way around.

If it's a relevant discussion by your own admittance then why can't you answer it in a more appropriate way?

Oh and no one had a hissy fit, it's just that from time to time you stroll into the United thread and periodically bash Mourinho whilst saying how we're so backwards with him without any real evidence. Other than you arguing about style of play. but statistically which is all that really counts, we improved from the season before.

But anyway, that's going off topic. Let me put it simply, if you go into the season with Karius and mignolet, will you win anything of real value? We all know the honest answer.

It was your most important position to address before the summer and it still is now.

Uhmm, I did. You just didn’t wait for the response. You and a few others did. And you’ve done the same in similar fashion here. Should we now be lambasting you for saying L’pool won’t win anything and popping up out of the blue to nark? How old are we all again?

From lads that never go the match but get ubber defensive on anything Utd, yet have no qualms laying into L’pool, the irony is never lost on anyone.

Last edited:
Uhmm, I did. You just didn’t wait for the response. You and a few others did. And yiu’ve done The same heee.

From lads that never go the match but get ubber defensive on anything Utd, yet have no qualms laying into L’pool, the irony is never lost on anyone.

I just brought up a rational debate and you go all defensive... I wasn't meant to be insulting or even condescending. It is the most obvious issue Liverpool have so I don't see why me bringing it up brings out such angst.

But regarding your proper response, you're not in a position to flap around and not get a GK. Honestly I think (most Liverpool fans also who I've spoke to) think it could be a season maker or a season breaker.

Why not go and get Jack Butland if you can't get the top of the tree ones you mentioned? No one is saying he's world-class but Butland would be an improvement and as Stoke got relegated he'll be going for a decent price by todays standards. He was injured for majority of last season but before that he was good.

If you want the best in the market, you have to stump up the money and realise that it needs to be done. most important position on the pitch, you paid king's ransom for van Dijk which turned out to be well spent. Now go and seize the day, go into the season with full confidence and a spine that can win major silverware.

‘Defensive angst.’

Brilliant. Get over yerself mate.

You aren’t angering anyone for the record. It’s valid and I happily discussed it.

Soz abar me for pointing out the base hypocrisy between the two threads with yourself and a few others.

Two Ramos assaults from having the best season in Europe last year with Karius in nets.

Again, no question he needs replacing. (Butland would just be another sideways step. Better right now as Karius head is kettled and he needs to be out of England to try rebuild his career. But Butland and the like are no significant improvement on what’s here already. All capable of brilliant saves. All capable of horrible clangers. Dropping 30 plus million on someone little better defeats the object and doesn’t really fix anything.). But to say there’s no way of silverware when they’ve just come within a game of being European champions with Karius in nets is a heck of a statement.

Your club finished a mere 2 games ahead of a side handicapped by poor goalkeeping, along with selling its best player for 240 plus million and not replacing him, so things can’t be that bad huh?

Last edited:
Two Ramos assaults from having the best season in Europe last year with Karius in nets.

Again, no question he needs replacing. (Butland would just be another sideways step. Better right now as Karius head is kettled and he needs to be out of England to try rebuild his career. But Butland and the like are no significant improvement on what’s here already. All capable of brilliant saves. All capable of horrible clangers. Dropping 30 plus million on someone little better defeats the object and doesn’t really fix anything.). But to say there’s no way of silverware when they’ve just come within a game of being European champions with Karius in nets is a heck of a statement.

Your club finished a mere 2 games ahead of a side handicapped by poor goalkeeping, along with selling its best player for 240 plus million and not replacing him, so things can’t be that bad huh?

Depends whether you consider losing a CL because of a goalkeeper that bad or not? Personally I would. Madrid wasn't even that good, you probably would of won that game without the clangers.

But lets not turn this into a fruitless debate between clubs, it honestly isn't even meant to be about that. I already stated before CL final that I wanted Liverpool to win, so I'm not even against you like you seem to think I am.

I just find it a massive shame if you go into a season after a lot of good investment, without the most important position sorted. It can't really be forgiven either because Karius will only be targeted moreso now and as soon as things go pear-shaped.... he will be the one getting a lot of stick.

The guy received death threats and everything, he really needs to recover without the pressure of being no.1 again this season. He should move on but that's another debate entirely.

Scous how would u feel about Navas? If there is mayor changes in real and they get new nr1, other than that it will never happen.

Back