The Liverpool Thread

Excellent. Good and much needed rest for Andy Robbo and Bobby. Nick the Greek back along with the main man Mo. More great experience at the very highest level for the two Williams and Curtis. And a second successive spot on the bench for Leighton joining Cain and Billy the Kid.

Wondered how he'd approach this one but he's got the balance, at least on paper, pretty much perfect.

Straight into these Redmen! Get the group 'officially' boxed with 2 to spare!

Not the goal-fest I was expecting but a perfect 45 nonetheless. 3 teenagers in the side. One of them part of our 10th different CH pairing this season. Another flanking that with our two second string FB’s. And barely a sniff for one of the best attacking teams in Europe.

Half a job done.

45 mins more hard work Reds to cement our place the knockouts.

1606338326132.png

1606338366620.png

Well that was different. In predicting a 4-2 win I hadn’t accounted for L’pool not having a shot on target ..... Just one of them.

All credit to Atalanta for a solid, old school Italian European job.

More valuable experience for the teenagers in their continued development. All I got.

Frustrating but just a ‘meh.’ Box it next week now.

Onto Brighton.

You were right about the Gomez fella Scouse. Gave poor Neco the run around. Beat the danish team and were through but this was a wakeup call because it was shockingly bad tonight.

You were right about the Gomez fella Scouse. Gave poor Neco the run around. Beat the danish team and were through but this was a wakeup call because it was shockingly bad tonight.

Continues to really surprise me how he's not at a bigger club. Atalanta has been a quality watch for a few years now and he totally orchestrates them.

Wakeup call isn't applicable to a team joint-top the league and top the group mate.

Just one of those mad games when everyone's off it. Won't happen 2 weeks in a row.

Pity poor Brighton now Sat'day dinner.

L'pool losing tonight to Atalanta-

Easily forgettable and just one of them that didn't matter much in the great scheme of things.

The Atalanta Coach Gasperini proclaiming it the biggest ever win in his club's 113-year history that includes a domestic cup win-

Immense pride and a great pick-me-up after said loss as to just what an absolute European BEHEMOTH Liverpool Football Club is and just how we're viewed on the Continent.

A good end to a 'meh' night.

..... Beat the danish team and were through .....

That can’t be right?

L’pool are already out of Europe surely going by the reactionary, very entitled OTT reaction from many to them having the rarest of rare poor performance/ losing a game of football at the very highest level?

That can’t be right?

L’pool are already out of Europe surely going by the reactionary, very entitled OTT reaction from many to them having the rarest of rare poor performance/ losing a game of football at the very highest level?
Atlanta aint no mugs. They are one of the best playing football sides in Europe, who got to the quarters last year not because of luck but because they are a **** good side.

Stolen from elsewhere .....

'..... Whether or not they performed up to standard, for me it’s a real positive to see Liverpool become the first side to name three British teenagers in a Champions League XI since 2009.

Rhys Williams and Curtis Jones both looked completely at home again, and while Neco Williams looked to be struggling, Klopp didn’t seem too concerned.

A year-and-a-half ago, Rhys and Neco were starting in the FA Youth Cup final triumph over Man City, now they are starting in the Champions League.

In fact, five of Barry Lewtas’ under-18s from that day have made the matchday squad already this season – Jake Cain and Leighton Clarkson were on the bench on Wednesday – which shows, regardless of the injury situation, the faith Klopp has. ......'

My only positive from the match last night was having three teenagers get the full 90 experience at the highest possible level and all the massive benefits they'd take from their part/ mistakes in a defeat to learn from and aid their development.

But I didn't realise it was as stark as that.

Not that it was needed, but brilliant signs for the future which has just increased with everyone now in one facility with eyes constantly on them.

Last edited:
Scruffy game as feared with the dinner time KO. A lot of games will be like this over the next few months. Just a survival of the fittest/ mentally strongest.

P poor tattle by Neco the peno. But a good learning instance for his development. No need to be that rash at this level mate. Even worse miss from Maupy the resulting spot kick. I’m well past narking about VAR now so I’ll swerve that.

Meh watch but you’d still expect them to grind out the win second half.

It’s what we do better than most anyone.