The Liverpool Thread

I dont have high hopes for this one, think Liverpool will win quite comfortably. United deals with high press on counter attacks or their opponent getting tired later in the game. I don't think Liverpool will allow any of that.
Pool will struggle to keep a clean sheet. Score draw I predict.

It might be Utd’s biggest league game since Ferguson.
It ment so much to Ralph

The loss aside, made up for him. He's just beaten his hero for the first time after his side put every last drop into the game.

Can’t beat genuine human emotion like that.

The CB curse continues. Hopefully nothing too serious

Using that as a segue, I personally really hope one of our future ones (🤞🏻🤞🏻), Sepp van den Berg, gets a look in at Villa Friday.

Our jong oranje-man (apology to our Dutch friends for probably butchering that), has had a big step forward his second year.

One of the 23’s top performers this year, he’s developing really nicely and it would be good to see how that progress translates to the first-team level again at this stage.

Using that as a segue, I personally really hope one of our future ones (🤞🏻🤞🏻), Sepp van den Berg, gets a look in at Villa Friday.

Our jong oranje-man (apology to our Dutch friends for probably butchering that), has had a big step forward his second year.

One of the 23’s top performers this year, he’s developing really nicely and it would be good to see how that progress translates to the first-team level again at this stage.
Why havent he been used? Seems good prospect, but i dont remember seeing him even on bench

Why havent he been used? Seems good prospect, but i dont remember seeing him even on bench

He hasn’t this year outside of Lincoln the LC but that’s pretty easily explained as to the unprecedented, horrendous injury situation we’ve found ourselves in this year mate. Not least at CH.

With Fabinho being our only fit first-team CH (and as outstanding as he’s been, thats not even his primary position), there’s only so many inexperienced kids you can turn to when you’re at the level of winning leagues and European Cups.

Nat Phillips is older and more experienced. Thats the main reason he’s been involved.

Not to take anything away from him as he’s admirably let nobody down with his solid performances this season when called upon, in all likelihood he’ll be gone the summer given his mediocre limitations. (As he would have been last if Swansea hadn’t got arsey over the price late.).

Rhys had a solid years loan in the Nationwide North last year playing every game which had the desired effect of toughening him up to go with his classy technical ability. He’d made another big leap forward when he returned this pre-season so presumably that was why he got the chance. Which he grabbed with both hands.

Sepp only turned 19 a couple of weeks ago and is only in his second season over here. His time will come if his development keeps on the pace it is but throwing an inexperienced 18, now 19-year-old, into the pressure of a title defence ......

Looking ahead, there is genuine cause for hope that at least one of the likes of Rhys, Sepp or further down the line, Billy the Kid, might well stick long-term as a solid squad player if nottin else.

You just know the press are gonna build it up as the biggest derby since Fergie was around. .....

They may doubtless try but we’ve already had that with the 2016 Europa League Round of 16 tie. Which, as this game invariably is, were the two most watched games Worldwide in UEFA competition that year.

Outside of the occasions we’ve met in finals, when silverware was at stake, thats the single biggest two games against one another L’pool and Utd have ever played for me. Well arguably the two biggest football clubs on the planet, in a two-legged, straight knock-out tie under the lights of the biggest stage of all, Europe ..... Doesn’t get any bigger than that anywhere!

Interesting a few of you refer to it as a ‘derby.’ Never looked upon it as that personally. I mean the rivalry’s the biggest in England and up there with anything in World football. And its invariably the game that draws the most interest/ biggest global TV viewing audience every year. But you’re 35-miles down the road. Everton’s the derby game. This is just Utd. Shrugs. Semantics I guess.

‘North West Derby’ I suppose. Just never classed Utd as a ‘derby’ per se. Even if it is in every other way.

It’s a disgrace and to the detriment of the FA that any FA Cup ties are going ahead when they are forcing smaller clubs who’ve had no testing to fulfil fixtures and put everyone’s health at risk. Absolutely ZERO concern for player welfare right there.

Utterly mad how we’re in an absolute National health crisis, largely of our own making, to now be locked down yet again to vainly try rectify recent F ups and save the rapidly over burdened NHS. Yet still football continues to be played.

But hey, lets all clap again tonight. That’ll help. *Eye spinning roll.

It’s a disgrace and to the detriment of the FA that any FA Cup ties are going ahead when they are forcing smaller clubs who’ve had no testing to fulfil fixtures and put everyone’s health at risk. Absolutely ZERO concern for player welfare right there.

Utterly mad how we’re in an absolute National health crisis, largely of our own making, to now be locked down yet again to vainly try rectify recent F ups and save the rapidly over burdened NHS. Yet still football continues to be played.

But hey, lets all clap again tonight. That’ll help. *Eye spinning roll.
One or both cubs should have been cancelled. Horrible decision making. Addition to the covid the idiotic stacked fixture list that could have been saved.

I understand folk will naturally revert back to the LC last year and have no sympathy for Villa but that was the FL’s doing. They haven’t asked for COVID and you can’t help but feel for them. It must be a bad outbreak if the whole first-team and staff are down.

God speed to them all.

Interesting that the club have revealed Trent had a really bad dose of COVID this past summer.

It completely puts his dip in form into perspective.

This killer doesn’t discriminate against anybody. And the after effects can be long lasting. As we’ve seen with Pogba and Havertz at Utd and Chelsea respectively to name but two.

Stay safe and play your part everybody.

Ofcourse we dont know the details from medical team but if the case is from Covid then is he not overplayed? He only was out for few games with other injury,but otherwise plays 90m most of the time.

Also think bad form can be explained a bit the loss of your CB, lets face it Trent is more attacking FB than defending and he has lost his best protection behind him who could cover him. It would be interesting to observe movement now compared to last year to see if he still moves so foward. In eye check it has seem not and he is holding back. Also teams might attack more from that side and he is more under pressure. As not sure if you agree but i think Robertson is better in defending.

@Bujakaa92 -

I can’t answer the ‘over played’ question on players who’ve had COVID being over played or not so I won’t attempt to. As you noted, we aren’t privy to personal medical derails.

All I do know, regarding Trent, is COVID., allied to all you mentioned, puts a lot in perspective as to his dip this year.

As regards which FB is the better defensively, naturally Andy Robbo is as he's older and more experienced. Lest we forget Trent is still just recently turned 22 and is learning and developing. (I think he only recently reached 100 PL appearances?). For as World Class as he’s been already, he’s still nowhere near reached his ceiling and is atill prone to the natural lapses all young defenders have.

Villa’s Play Group- ☑️+ Excellent effort until legs naturally went. Did your club proud..

L’pool- ☑️- Meh. Job done. In the hat.

The Football Association- ❌❌❌ Ala the Football League last year, way to COMPLETELY devalue your marquee tournament.

Farce over. Relaxing weekend.

Two superb pods with Jurgen ..... Sorry, Pep. (Hard to tell the difference at times as they are SO alike.).

Because, well, its always ace to listen to our (🤞🏻🤞🏻) future manager-