The Liverpool Thread

Its official pending his medical. 75m euros upfront rising to 100m.

1655105953609.png

”In the early morning hours of this Monday (0:44 am), Sport Lisboa e Benfica – Futebol, SAD informed the Securities Market Commission (CMVM) that it had reached an agreement with Liverpool FC for the sale of all rights to the player Darwin Nunez, for the amount of 75 million euros.

“To the CMVM, Benfica’s SAD also informed that ‘the agreement provides for the payment of a variable remuneration, so the global amount of the sale could reach the amount of 100 million euros’.

“’It is further informed that the aforementioned agreement is dependent on the signing of the player’s sports employment contract with Liverpool FC’, it is further explained in the official document.”

Farewell and the utmost thanks King Michael.

All hail King Julian!

1655106139946.png

*Apologies if I'd made some of these points over the last few days. I'm slightly giddy this AM.

YES THE REDS!!!!! When we decide to make our move, we move and execute swiftly aye?

Another one in the eye for the increasingly mental, and, mercifully, increasingly fewer in number, anti-FSG brigade.

As they’ve consistently done since going all in on Jürgen, if they’ve needed to spend big, they have shown they have absolutely no qualms doing that. (Not that this is anything outside the going rate for a top young forward in today’s mad transfer market when there’s so few of them. And so many clubs in need of one. A simple case of supply and demand. But yanno’. All relative.). Superbly structured deal by Julian Ward to get iit down from what Benfica wanted to how we wanted it. Edwards has taught him well. Before this windows out, we’ll have covered the £64 M. initial fee in all likelihood with sales. Hopefully. all add-ons will be paid as that will mean our success has carried on unabated. With around £100 K P/W through 6-years contract yet again dispelling the fast fading myth that money rules ALL with players. When in truth, the right project and leaving a legacy in the game, and the best place and coach to work under to achieve that, is becoming equally, if not more, an important factor with most players today.

I’ll be honest about Núñez. Outside of seeing him first-hand the 2 Benfica games last year, I honestly know F all about him save for what I’ve read/ compilations i’ve watched the past week.

He was great at Anfield in particular. But that was effectively a dead tie already won out in Lisbon that we coasted through in third gear. So I preface any and all observations that follow with that ….. Ala Ibou, men of that size and build/ strength, shouldn’t move that fast! Great range of movement too. Particular in-to-out and back on the left. And he passed the 1-on-1 test with Alisson with flying colours. As we know week-in, week-out, very few, if any, forwards ever do that! That was what stood out on the initial live eye test to me for what ever that’s worth. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Watching subsequent compilations, it would appear he has the first touch of a donkey. Or Romelu Lukaku in football terms. But that’s well coachable and a few sessions of intense rondo's with Thiago, Fabinho and co will soon improve that. Raw but with all the traits, physically, technically and mentally, to mould into a 10-year or more #9 that would kill the fee. Something we’ve not had thus far under the German. A pure number 9. Yet another evolution and tweak to Klopps Reds. It'll be fascinating to watch the next tactical switch in this team to accommodate that. The excitement just keeps on rolling with this current group.

One of the main things that stand out too and hasn't been lost on me is how we've quietly and effectively dropped the age of our attack like the rest of the squad. Thats Díaz, Jota and Núñez, over the past 2 years, at 25, 25 and 22 years old respectively. For all the mad angst about our age up front, thats one heck of a quick way to get younger. With the super exciting Carvalho at 19 also adding to that.

It’ll be a wrench to see Sadio leave, but to get a player 8 years younger, on a similar salary, who is one of the up and coming coveted young strikers in Europe, is as good as it gets to soften that blow.

The next wave of Kloppo’s attack built with Bobby and Mo still here. Not too shabby business at all.

Superb start to Julian Ward’s tenure in the main gig. (And most important role at the football club for me as Jürgen would be nothing without top recruitment giving him the tools to work with and improve.). With, no doubt, ‘Mini Klopp’ Pep Lijnders and Vitor Matos also playing key roles with their contacts and intimate knowledge of the Portuguese game.

The King is dead. All hail King Julian!

Welcome Darwin. Can't wait to see you in action.

Now, onto the next addition in what will be a busy summer further shaping the next evolution of already one of the very best squads in World football.

Last edited:
Benfica do well getting unknown talent and getting huge fees

Almeria are laughing here too.

To bag first £20 million from Benfica, and now a 20% sell-on of any profit over £20.4 million, which could ultimately net them another £12/13 million if my maths are right (which they probably aren't haha), is terrific business for a newly promoted, small team from the Spanish second division over the last 2 years.

*Apologies if I'd made some of these points over the last few days. I'm slightly giddy this AM.

YES THE REDS!!!!! When we decide to make our move, we move and execute swiftly aye?

Another one in the eye for the increasingly mental, and, mercifully, increasingly fewer in number, anti-FSG brigade.

As they’ve consistently done since going all in on Jürgen, if they’ve needed to spend big, they have shown they have absolutely no qualms doing that. (Not that this is anything outside the going rate for a top young forward in today’s mad transfer market when there’s so few of them. And so many clubs in need of one. A simple case of supply and demand. But yanno’. All relative.). Superbly structured deal by Julian Ward to get iit down from what Benfica wanted to how we wanted it. Edwards has taught him well. Before this windows out, we’ll have covered the £64 M. initial fee in all likelihood with sales. Hopefully. all add-ons will be paid as that will mean our success has carried on unabated. With around £100 K P/W through 6-years contract yet again dispelling the fast fading myth that money rules ALL with players. When in truth, the right project and leaving a legacy in the game, and the best place and coach to work under to achieve that, is becoming equally, if not more, an important factor with most players today.

I’ll be honest about Núñez. Outside of seeing him first-hand the 2 Benfica games last year, I honestly know F all about him save for what I’ve read/ compilations i’ve watched the past week.

He was great at Anfield in particular. But that was effectively a dead tie already won out in Lisbon that we coasted through in third gear. So I preface any and all observations that follow with that ….. Ala Ibou, men of that size and build/ strength, shouldn’t move that fast! Great range of movement too. Particular in-to-out and back on the left. And he passed the 1-on-1 test with Alisson with flying colours. As we know week-in, week-out, very few, if any, forwards ever do that! That was what stood out on the initial live eye test to me for what ever that’s worth. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Watching subsequent compilations, it would appear he has the first touch of a donkey. Or Romelu Lukaku in football terms. But that’s well coachable and a few sessions of intense rondo's with Thiago, Fabinho and co will soon improve that. Raw but with all the traits, physically, technically and mentally, to mould into a 10-year or more #9 that would kill the fee. Something we’ve not had thus far under the German. A pure number 9. Yet another evolution and tweak to Klopps Reds. It'll be fascinating to watch the next tactical switch in this team to accommodate that. The excitement just keeps on rolling with this current group.

One of the main things that stand out too and hasn't been lost on me is how we've quietly and effectively dropped the age of our attack like the rest of the squad. Thats Díaz, Jota and Núñez, over the past 2 years, at 25, 25 and 22 years old respectively. For all the mad angst about our age up front, thats one heck of a quick way to get younger. With the super exciting Carvalho at 19 also adding to that.

It’ll be a wrench to see Sadio leave, but to get a player 8 years younger, on a similar salary, who is one of the up and coming coveted young strikers in Europe, is as good as it gets to soften that blow.

The next wave of Kloppo’s attack built with Bobby and Mo still here. Not too shabby business at all.

Superb start to Julian Ward’s tenure in the main gig. (And most important role at the football club for me as Jürgen would be nothing without top recruitment giving him the tools to work with and improve.). With, no doubt, ‘Mini Klopp’ Pep Lijnders and Vitor Matos also playing key roles with their contacts and intimate knowledge of the Portuguese game.

The King is dead. All hail King Julian!

Welcome Darwin. Can't wait to see you in action.

Now, onto the next addition in what will be a busy summer further shaping the next evolution of already one of the very best squads in World football.
That first touch scares me though as it's one of those things that you either have it or not. What he can improve is the rest of his game in terms of decision making and general play under Klopp. Weirdly optimistic about this but ngl its looking like one of those transfers that can either go great or immensely wrong. Now the next focus is the wage bill for me that is one of the only negatives under Edwards. It lowkey spiralled out of control with fringe players on way too much money. Players like Chambo, Phillips (love Naldini but still), that CB fella we bought in that never kicked a ball on 60k?! a week. That needs to be culled otherwise we will end up having more Salah situation were the top end of the squad can't be paid what they are worth as too many fringe players are on silly money for what they are worth to the squad.

Also Scouse what's your opinion on Jota as the season went by? Obviously not his biggest fan but do you see him being a key first team player come the new season? Personally would keep him as a more clinical Origi that can bully smaller teams but good god he makes me pull out my hair with how limited he is as a player. The very definition of good goalscorer but a terrible footballer. I have more faith in him clinically slotting the ball away compared to him trapping the ball and being able to pass the ball 5 yards without ******* it up lmao.

Also Scouse what's your opinion on Jota as the season went by? Obviously not his biggest fan but do you see him being a key first team player come the new season? Personally would keep him as a more clinical Origi that can bully smaller teams but good god he makes me pull out my hair with how limited he is as a player. The very definition of good goalscorer but a terrible footballer. I have more faith in him clinically slotting the ball away compared to him trapping the ball and being able to pass the ball 5 yards without ******* it up lmao.

My opinion is as it always was. Superb piece of the armoury. But better off the bench than starting for me ..... Right now. He's only going to get more comfortable with experience in what's expected of him so that could change.

I think you're doing him a complete disservice calling him a 'terrible' footballer mate. They'd neither have bought him nor wouldn't he survive in our squad if he was that. I get how if he's not scoring, he tends to drift in games and that perception gets levelled at him. But he's not 'terrible.' Just not elite. When he's on it and his confidence is high, he's nigh on unplayable. But when he's not, he might as well not be on the pitch. I think he's still working our system out and his role within it after what was his first real year last season after the COVID/ injury jarg year that was his first year here. It's an interesting conundrum as he's an ice cold finisher. And I honestly don't think I've ever seen a better player in red in the air. Something I never knew he possessed when he was at Wolves.

I think he'll be always be a streaky goalscorer. When he's hot, you ride the heck of him until it dry's up. And he's liable to always bag you 15-20 plus goals a season. Just they'll come in spells. And they'll be dry spells. But he's still only 25 so there's a lot of development growth to come in terms of his overall game.

Jota also played off a big man at Wolves didn't he to great effect? That might be in the thinking as we evolve again. It'll be fascinating to see the tweaks with Darwin and what way we go. Be it 4-2-3-1 coming more into play or whatever. We played a lot of 4-2-4 last year which was interesting too. The possibilities to mix it up and give the opposition even more headaches are limitless.

I don't like Diogo out on the left though. Don't quite get that. 🤷🏼‍♂️ He's a #9/ 2nd striker.

Last edited:
My opinion is as it always was. Superb piece of the armoury. But better off the bench than starting for me ..... Right now. He's only going to get more comfortable with experience in what's expected of him so that could change.

I think you're doing him a complete disservice calling him a 'terrible' footballer mate. They'd neither have bought him nor wouldn't he survive in our squad if he was that. I get how if he's not scoring, he tends to drift in games and that perception gets levelled at him. But he's not 'terrible.' Just not elite. When he's on it and his confidence is high, he's nigh on unplayable. But when he's not, he might as well not be on the pitch. I think he's still working our system out and his role within it after what was his first real year last season after the COVID/ injury jarg year that was his first year here. It's an interesting conundrum as he's an ice cold finisher. And I honestly don't think I've ever seen a better player in red in the air. Something I never knew he possessed when he was at Wolves.

I think he'll be always be a streaky goalscorer. When he's hot, you ride the heck of him until it dry's up. And he's liable to always bag you 15-20 plus goals a season. Just they'll come in spells. And they'll be dry spells. But he's still only 25 so there's a lot of development growth to come in terms of his overall game.

Jota also played off a big man at Wolves didn't he to great effect? That might be in the thinking as we evolve again. It'll be fascinating to see the tweaks with Darwin and what way we go. Be it 4-2-3-1 coming more into play or whatever. We played a lot of 4-2-4 last year which was interesting too. The possibilities to mix it up and give the opposition even more headaches are limitless.

I don't like Diogo out on the left though. Don't quite get that. 🤷🏼‍♂️ He's a #9/ 2nd striker.
Cant complain you've said it better than me. Terrible might be a bit much but **** you hit the nail on the head that he is a streaky confident player in a nutshell. Good option in the Armoury describes him best for now.

Fair F's to Aberdeen for upping the stakes and trying to get what they deem the market maximum.

About time the SPL stood up for themselves more financially. The only way they are going to start improving the overall quality of the league.

I don't know anything about this lad other than the glowing reports I've read from Scotland backing up the highlights of his season suggesting he's straight out of the Trent mould. But they must rate him real high if they are prepared to pay £10 million or so for him. (Which they will. This is a done deal bar the structuring finalities.). As Connor Bradley has just come off an excellent year where he's taken a massive leap forward. Both at Liverpool and Internationally for Northern Ireland. He has the ideal skill-set we look for in our full-backs as he's as comfortable on the right wing as at right full.

So they must rate Ramsey even higher than Bradley if they are prepared to pay £10 million or so to upgrade on him.

That alone I find really intriguing on the Scottish kid.

Having a mooch around L'pool twitter before bed was a bad idea.

A day removed from adding the clubs most expensive ever signing, and people are unbelievably melting down demanding this and that. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Divvies gonna' divvy.