The Liverpool Thread

Superb start to the week to continue Julian Wards excellent start in the most important role at the football club. Michael Edwards has taught his young prodigy superbly. He more or less run the Diaz deal all by himself with his Portuguese knowledge and contacts. Boxed a super fee for Carvalho. And has now got the structure we wanted for both Nunez and Ramsey. When their respective clubs we’re looking for different/ more. Oh, and he made a slight profit on what we paid for Sadio after 6 outstanding years service and most every major trophy won. Far from some angst at the fee, there’s a LOT to be said of doing the right thing by loyal servants like Sadio who have done nothing but the right thing by you. So to get slightly more than what we paid, with the added context of him being able to go for free next summer, was pretty much more than you could realistically hope for.

Superb all around start for our new Sporting Director. As you'd expect as its the ‘system’ that underpins EVERYTHING. But I digress …..

I know little about Ramsey save for the glowing reports on him what I’ve read from some very well respected Scottish football icons/ coaches. And that, allied to the highlights you’ve seen, totally plays into him being an outstanding attacking full in the mould of Trent with a lot of development growth to go. The perfect skill-set for what we require out of our FB’s.

But I do know if they are prepared to invest all that, when Connor Bradley made massive leaps last year both at club and International level to be one of our beat academy players last season, then they must proper rate Ramsey as an even better prospect. Which is really exciting in itself as Bradley looks a tremendous talent.

If this is us done with incomings, safe in the knowledge they have Bellingham next summer (who I rate as the closest thing out there to be the next Gerrard. Honestly. His ceiling and all around game, at just 18 already, looks that good when you watch him. And we'll have that for a decade and more), then It’s been an A+ window IMHO on signings.

Luis Diaz (who, lets face it, is a signing for this window), and Darwin set the next evolution of Klopps attack. The super exciting Carvalho just adds to that. Or the attacking midfield slots with his position versatility. And now a back-up for Trent in one of the hottest young Scottish talents out there.

Roll on City and the CS!

Last edited:
@dilakh2 ..... Forgot mention on Friday mate .....

Here's your midfield signing! 😝

Messing aside, that looks a great addition to the academy on the face of it. Mad red with 461 appearances across all 4 divisions, and Europe. who's sill young enough to both play if needed for the 21's t add invaluable, on-field experience. And be able to relate with the 18's who he'll be coaching full-time.

Utd did something similar with the lad from Hull who's name escapes me last year so this could be a new trend with the 5 + 1 over age player rule in the new U21 PL2 format. (Which is complete overkill to me and defeating the object of dropping the age level. Hopefully, clubs won't abuse it and will lower the age as it's intended for a proper, competitive, youth development league.).

Shows his love for the club when he could still be playing week in, week out in the Football League like he was captaining Tranmere the past 2 seasons.

Be great to welcome him back into the fold a week on Friday after 9 years away.

Last edited:
Stone cold clinical. And nowhere near his ceiling.

1655745418263.png

For me it’s a signing that could go either way. There’s no guarantee he hits anywhere near those numbers in the Prem. And could of been just a one season wonder. Will definitely be interested to see how he changes his game to suit Klopp style and deals with the Prem.

Why are we competing in this absolute disgrace of an organisations tournaments?

I'm hesitant to knock the club who have been absolutely superb in response to the horribly traumatic events in Paris. But if Liverpool really cared and wanted to properly go to bat for us, they'd pull out of the CL until UEFA and the French stopped the damaging lies, absolved us of ALL blame, and held those accountable to account. With punishment therein.

I know I'm P against the wind here, but just say NO! to any and all UEFA competition until the above is met and they can guarantee our safety under their watch!

UEFA just aren't fit for purpose in any way, shape or form.

For what it's worth, here's to the SOS and Madrid fan reps telling the TRUTH later today.

Give 'em it straight Joe! Despicable *****!

Last edited:
@TeleFootball
Exclusive: Newcastle United close to signing goalkeeper Nick Pope from Burnley - but other deals bring frustration @LukeEdwardsTele #NUFC

David Ornstein
@David_Ornstein
🚨 Southampton agree ~€10m fee with VfL Bochum for centre-back Armel Bella-Kotchap. Germany U21 int’l completed medical overnight & is set to sign 4yr deal + option of 5th. #SaintsFC got 20yo ahead of other PL + Bundesliga clubs @TheAthleticUK #VfLBochum

Excellent. Really solid looking first pro-loan for Conor that's perfect at this stage of his development on the face of it.

Love the fact it's just down the road in Bolton. Which not only keeps up our good relationship with Wanderers, and the excellent set-up there. But makes things much easier location wise for both player and club to keep eyes on him.

One of our top academy performers last year who deservedly got nominated for the PL2 POTY award, he made great strides both within our first-team set-up and Internationally. Hopefully this next step on his development path into a full-time season in the men's game kicks him on another level,

Genuine, top International prospect this lad. Bolton are lucky to have him over next season.

*Edit* As a related aside, as he's eligible, I wonder if Ramsey will turn out for the 21's at times as he develops to keep him match sharp in the long spells he won't see any first-team action?

Last edited:

Can't argue with that. £15.4 million, with £12.87 million guaranteed.

More than doubling our money, along with all the merchandising off the signing in Asia, after 2 and a half seasons and all the major domestic trophies he contributed to.

To continue your excellent start in the main gig, not too shabby work Mr Ward for a 6th/ 7th choice forward. Not too shabby at all. ✅ 👏🏻

Really hard not to like Taki San. He come into a completely new culture, on and off the park, and was immediately locked down in a strange City/ Country with no friends or family around him. Fate dealt him a terrible hand here from the get-go but he persevered, always playing catch-up to what he missed out on in that vital first 6 months and more, and made himself a pretty successful piece his one proper full season here last year and somewhat turned himself into a cult hero.

My highlight of last year remains his dramatic, last kick equaliser in the comeback against Leicester to take the LC tie into extra-time. The noisiest by far the arl place has been since we were allowed to return to the match on a real Scouse pride night.

We wouldn't be still buzzing off our 8th double winning season if it wasn't for Minamino. For that alone, he'll always be fondly remembered.

Thank you, for your, albeit brief, contribution to the cause and some boss memory's therein. All the best in the Principality mate. If you can't enjoy living there, you can't enjoy living anywhere.

With that, Connor's loan, and the positive afternoon at the French Senate making it clear we weren't to blame for the horror at the CL Final, after the earlier UEFA lies fell on deaf ears, this has turned into a very good Tuesday.

Last edited:
* @Tyton - Small point of interest for you domestically next season mate. Your National U19 'keeper is stepping up to the Esktraklasa.

We have a proper goalkeeping school in place don’t we? All at different levels and all with tremendous potential. All developing nicely. It was only a few weeks back we gave Jakub’s younger countryman, Mrozek, his first contract extension.

Really is testimony to both out youth recruitment and the excellent coaching of Achterberg, Robinson, Taffarel, Edwards and co that L’pool is becoming a real haven for quality goalies. Which should save a packet financially as the conveyer belt is firmly in place for when Kelleher deservedly moves on, another quality back-up to the Worlds best will be ready to step up into the role.

And now a major step up in this young Poles development from the Welsh league last year, to the top league in Poland this.

All the best back home Jakub next season. You certainly have as good a chance as anyone to be Alisson’s next understudy if you keep on developing as you have to date.

Excellent little read this AM on the one signing this window who (admittedly as I've watched him far more than any of the others to gauge a decent opinion) excites me more than anyone. I can well see Fabio being significantly involved early.

With Sadio set to be 'officially' announced at Bayern at some point today, ending a trophy laden era of one of the best forward lines in not only this football clubs but PL history, looking back over the numbers of our 'original' front three is mind blowing-

GAMES.

731 combined appearances together since Mo joined in 2017. Consistently available.
  • Mane and Salah: 223 games (150 wins)
  • Salah and Firmino: 212 games (135 wins)
  • Mane and Firmino: 197 games (126 wins)

GOALS.

338 combined.
  • Salah: 156
  • Mane: 107
  • Firmino: 75
ASSITS.

139 combined.
  • Salah: 58
  • Firmino: 50
  • Mane: 31
With 66% of those to each other! So much for the 'selfish' bunkum that they don't get along. 🤦🏼‍♂️
  • Firmino to Salah: 21
  • Mane to Salah: 18
  • Firmino to Mane: 18
  • Salah to Mane: 18
  • Salah to Firmino: 11
  • Mane to Firmino: 6
End of an era indeed. Those numbers are just mind boggling in black and white.

Sadio is the defining player of the Klopp era to date for me. His first major signing and a key building block who was one of the most important and influential players through all the trophy laden success his 6 years here. He kickstarted the revolution under Jürgen and was at the start of what is now a World envied recruitment operation that underpins everything we do as a football club and how successful we are. Heck, he reinvented himself twice, from initial RW, to LW, and then CF last year to great success. All without missing a beat. It's been a privilege and an absolutely phenomenal 6-years with him donning our colours.

I shall miss him dearly and can't thank him enough for the copious amounts of wondrous memories we've experienced together that money just can not buy. An absolute bonafide Liverpool FC and PL LEGEND!

What I won't miss, however,, is those among our number (on-line/ SM), who follow him and are desperate to discredit Liverpool, Klopp and, in particular, Mo Salah at every opportunity. Like it was always some great contest between our two African Kings. And you had to come down on one side or the other. 🤦🏼‍♂️

EVERY Red should love Sadio Mané for what he is. An absolute club legend on the pitch. And even better and bigger person off it.

If you need to slight others because your favourite has gone, and can't appreciate every L'pool player equally, then honestly, this football club isn't for you.