The Liverpool Thread

🤞🏻🤞🏻Saturday’s superb individual showing, bringing up his 100th goal for the Reds, gives Bobby a new lease if life going forward. Because he really is irreplaceable stylistically in World football.

Mullers close at Munich but he’s at the back end. I’d have loved to have seen Jesus take up the mantle Bobby has set as his game is very similar. But they would never have sold to us regardless. Arsenal aren’t a threat to City. We are. Maybe Jota transitions in to that but he’s a lot of developing to go outside the box to match his ice cold finishing in it.

Another year or two of a reborn Bobby would be a tremendous bonus whilst we slightly tweak the style and adapt to a more traditional #9. Hopefully a weight was lifted off him Saturday and he starts playing freely with a smile on his face again after a really tough and poor last 18 months or so dip.

I think I’ll be even sadder when the time comes to say goodbye to Bobby than I was Sadio. Aside from how utterly brilliant and integral he’s been for us under our phenomenal rebirth under Jurgen, he’s completely redefined the role of the #9 to give it a new and interesting dimension for future generations to find their niche in the position. He changed the game.

Football legacy’s don’t get much better than that.

Last edited:
******* needed that... Klopp has his favourites but loyalty has to be put aside and he needs to trust the kids more. Elliot again best player on the pitch.

This glorious gang of superb Reds aye that keep embarrassing the living P out of the reactionary gobshites on-line who continue to laughably doubt them in the face of EVERYTHING to the contrary!

Today’s Admin-

Title Countdown:
2 wins down/ 28 to go.
8 points down/ 87 to go.

Current Unbeaten League Run-
P 2 W 2 F 11 A 1 CS: 1

What a night! There’s absolutely NO better way to win a game of football than to do so with the last kick of the game. THAT’S why you NEVER leave a game early! Magical moments and memory’s like that you’ll talk about for a lifetime.

Saturday’s historical mauling of Bournemouth was fantastic. But not one of those 9 goals elicited as much unadulterated joy and saw such a mass of collective entwined limbs as Carvalho’s superb winner did tonight. A winner that was proper justice against an absolute disgrace of a Newcastle team who cheated all night long. Enabled by one of the worst officiating displays from Madley seen in a LONG time. Which given the historically bad standard of officiating in the PL, is quite the impressive achievement.

Howe came for one thing and one thing only. To shithouse his way to a point. The time wasting was on another level. All enabled by Madley who had zero control of that game from the opening KO. Ironically, the ONLY thing he got right all night was in adding the extra time to the injury time after more blatant cheating from Pope and co. How’s feigning injury feeling now aye Nick lad? Absolute justice served. Take that you horrible, cheating Saudi *****!!!!! EXACTLY what you deserved and it would have been an absolute travesty had we not won that game.

And their low life lower league support can F do one too! Unoriginal, stereotypical gobshites!

Thought our vocal was superb all night and we more than played our part in a superb win. Can’t speak highly enough of every last player either who all showed tremendous mentality to find a way to win in the face of everything. Special shout out to our two young diamonds from Fulham. Elliott and Carvalho who were both superb again. But yanno, L’pool have no midfield as the divvy narrative goes. NEVER forget that gem! 🙄🤦‍♂️ With Diaz and Bobby, again, not far behind.

Belter night and a belter, FULLY deserved win as momentum rolls and sets up Everton’s Cup Final nicely Sat’day dinner.

Unfortunately for the rest of the PL, we’re just getting started!

Up the Reds! FTT!!!!!

Honestly never heard of him. Which would be hilarious enough given he sounds like yer Grandad and has presumably been playing under a pseudonym given he’s played nigh on a hundred games for Barca and Juve and no F’er I’ve spoke to tonight had ever heard of him!

But the fact he’s boiling P all over with mad fume from the same absolute divvy’s Klopp called out the other day is making him an instant legend and adding to one super funny evening.

F boss being us! 🤣🤣🤣🕺🕺🕺

Honestly never heard of him. Which would be hilarious enough given he sounds like yer Grandad and has presumably been playing under a pseudonym given he’s played nigh on a hundred games for Barca and Juve and no F’er I’ve spoke to tonight had ever heard of him!

But the fact he’s boiling P all over with mad fume from the same absolute divvy’s Klopp called out the other day is making him an instant legend and adding to one super funny evening.

F boss being us! 🤣🤣🤣🕺🕺🕺
How are the nightclubs in Liverpool as he loves a party apparently, we might have to slip the bouncers a retainer to make sure they turf him out every time he is seen.

1662141900697.png

I was cringing so hard in the second half. Fair **** to the ref to continue playing despite Newcastle players being bunch of babies.

I was cringing so hard in the second half. Fair **** to the ref to continue playing despite Newcastle players being bunch of babies.

Howe was never like that at Bournemouth was he? I mean I used to really like him and his attacking, free flowing style. My memory's bot playing tricks on me is it?

Dont think this is all on Howe, seemed to me players were trying to one up eachother in being ridiculous. However he should have said something.

We'll see in next few games.

*Apologies in advance for the length but you can’t cover a window in a few short lines …..

Praise the Lord that the windows finally shut and we can get down to the serious stuff of winning #20 + 7. A window that, IMHO, was pretty outstanding for Wards first full window running the whole show. He gets an A from me. Only a top midfielder stopping it from being an A*.

(Now for the boring but highly relevant education bit. Quiet at the back class …..)

The ‘Net Spend’ twaddle that’s so regularly thrown around really is a proper lazy and false way to analyse transfers. A deeply flawed argument which does not represent how football transfers are actually structured. It completely ignores how transfers appear on club balance sheets along with other associated costs for club ‘assets’ (the player) such as player wages.

Basically, football transfers are done via what’s known in accounting as ‘amoritsation.’ Which basically equates to writing off the initial asset (the player), over a duration. (His contract.). Total fee divided by contract + annual wages.

So using say Diaz as an example, the £50 million fee for him isn’t £50 million in one go to Porto. It’s £10 million P/year over the 5 years of his contract plus his annual wages and bonuses. Which his basic salary is £2.91 million a year. So on the clubs balance sheet, that would go down, sans any yearly bonus, as £12.91 million a season through 5 season’s.

Not nearly as simple as just the total fee for player acquisitions minus the total fee for player sales. Which is why using ’net spend’ is a deeply flawed and false way to analyse a transfer window.

That said (and man am I glad schools now over. I’m **** at maths but even my layman’s knowledge of club accounts can grasp the above), as many do push the ‘net spend’ argument to push their agendas, lets look at Julian Wards opening gambit.

He’s signed £149,560,000
worth of players-

£ 50 M on Diaz. Who’s effectively a signing for this window just brought forward 6 months. His first solo deal Julian conducted last January.
£85. 36 M on Darwin. Smashing the clubs transfer record in the process.
£ 6.5 M on Ramsey.
£ 7.7 M on Carvalho.

Two key members of the next evolution of the front three. The best young talent in Scotland to seriously back-up Trent and push him further. And one of the top young midfield talents in England. The sensational Carvalho from Fulham. (Did some divvy’s say something about NO succession planning in midfield? 🤦‍♂️F knows what Elliott, Carvalho, Jones, Morton and co are, like? 🤷🏼‍♂️But I digress …..).

4 key pieces of Jurgens next vintage added in the on-going evolution of our squad.

Whilst on out-goings-

£35.1 M for Sadio. A superb price given he was in his last year and had told the club he wanted to leave back in January for a new challenge. Absolutely NOTHING they could have done to have kept him by his own admission. So, to make a profit, after 6 golden seasons he helped the club win everything through, on a 30-year-old in his last year, was superb business.
£15.5 M for Taki San. More ridiculously good business. More than doubling your money on a 6th/7th choice striker, after only 2.5 years, is super business in anyones book.
£17 M for Neco Williams. No more needs adding to that fee. Edwards has taught Ward proper well!
£ 4 M for Ben Davies. Another tidy profit in no time on our initial outlay.

£71,600,000 in player sales.

So even using the deeply flawed net spend argument, Liverpool total £ 77, 960, 000. Or if you want to be pernickety, and remove Luis Diaz, they come out of the window on top of the NS by £ 27,960,000 more spent on players than recouped.

You then have 5 major contracts done under his watch-

The biggest of all, Mo Salah, boxed this summer. Along with JMG, Jota and Elliott. (And Milner for added, invaluable leadership stability.). And if we’re talking about Ward per se, the biggest coup of all of them under him the back end of last season ….. Jurgen and his staff boxed until 2026!

Plus a slew of academy extensions handed out tying down our best prospects.

With a record number of 21’s loans to boot at 18. With at least 7 of those getting invaluable experience in the mens game having an excellent chance of being part of our squad over the long haul.

With another midfield addition, Uncle Arthur, arriving on loan in an absolute no-brainer, Juve-esq deal ….. from Juve! Some sweet poetic irony in that one! 🤣

So a pretty outstanding first window from Julian for me that Mickey Edwards must be super proud of. You taught your prodigy well mate. Thank you! 👏🏻👍🏻🍻

The only thing missing was the big midfield signing. But then when Jurgen as good as confirms the other day what some of us have thought all summer long, that Tuchemeni (Sp?) was the man for this window, who they believed they had until Mbappe went and ruined that, with Bellingham boxed for next, you’re put at ease that the succession plan for the midfield, to go along with the top quality youth already added/ club developed in there , is a great one of the very best talents out there.

So now we can put that all to bed and concentrate on chasing down City before the mid-season break.

I’ll finish with Jurgens ever pertinent words the other day to all the reactionary, narking nonsense-

“There's still time but when it's over, whether someone signs or not, I am really happy as it's over and we can just focus on the squad we have. Face the situations we have together. Our fans are active on social media so they can stop doing that. We have a good football team."

NO more needs adding.

Roll on this dinner and P all over the Ev’s Cup Final. AGAIN!!!!!

Last edited:
Derby day.

And even more important than ruining the shites Cup Final, AGAIN!, is the message that enough is ENOUGH! Not only in my City. But across the land. Gun and knife crime is now beyond a joke and we need to stop killing our kids.

I just hope we can show a real picture of Scouse solidarity today unlike last season when the Ev’s mad obsessive hatred of all things L’pool had them fuming and booing us for having the gall to sing YNWA after a remembrance silence. Which, apparently, in bitter logic, was us trying to claim a young life as our own tragedy and make it all about us. 🤦‍♂️

God rest little Oliviia, Sam, Ashley and every other senseless loss. YNWA. 🙏🏻

1662185404320.jpeg

I mentioned loyalty something Klopp has to get rid off. Again the switch to bringing on Millie killed momentum to the point were he had to switch it again just so they could stop targeting the right channel by bringing on Matip and switching Gomez. Baffling decisions today from the boss.

Well that was a funny day of contrasting football emotions. That ended with no change and no damage done at Villa Park.

Today’s Admin-

Title Countdown:
2 wins down/ 28 to go.
9 points down/ 86 to go.

Current Unbeaten League Run-
P 3 W 2 D 1 F 11 A 1 CS: 2

The day started with more disappointment, frustration and pity than anything. After initial anger, to learn about the senseless defacing of some of our murals round the ground. Anger at the mindless act in itself. But pity for both Everton, who, as you’d expect were very quick to condemn the low life perps, having those senseless acts blacken their name. (Kudos to them. It’s not the football clubs fault who have always stood side-by-side alongside us in our darkest hours of need and are a fine representation of the City for all the tireless community work they do. Some of it in partnership with L’pool. The close respect of the two football clubs has never been at issue.). And more pity for the i diots that did deface the murals. Who doubtless weren’t even born at the time of Heysel and don’t having a F clue what they are spouting. A sad reflection of a lot of society today.

Which then moved on to incredulous laughter at the further, childish nonsense of graffiti on the paths as you walked over the park along the lines of ’Murdering Kopite gobshites.’ What can you do but just shake yer head and mock that mindless garbage.

To then having the anger back in a different fashion with the absolute carnage trying to get in to the ground. Which left many still outside at KO. Absolutely NO organisation at all. Not helped by a crew of our own lil’ ****** who charged the bizzies and tried to jib in. Causing more chaos in whats always a bad bottle neck. With the some young scally element from the Ev the other side screaming ’Murderers’ and making not only wall pushing gestures at us. But the face pressed up against fences gesture. Such fun being stuck outside for half an hour trying to get in surrounded by low life rats from both clubs trying to cause as much disruption as possible. ☹

And then there was the actual game. Which on the face of it was a pretty good 0- 0 for a Derby. And one we <i>should</i> have won lcomfortably given Pickford was the clear MOTM with all his saves and the amount of times we hit the woodwork. But it just never seemed like we were in control of the game. And as much as anyone makes any mad shouts about a midfielder curing all, this is becoming more and more apparent its down to the systemic change this year in our style of play. We are patently trying to change to an old school #9. With two wingers hugging the touchline. And its effecting most everything.

The obvious problem is we don’t have traditional wingers. Outs are wide inside forwards. Who were unstoppable at what we did. So to change everything for the sake of one new signing, I’m really struggling to understand from the staff. 🤷🏼‍♂️ Even more so when we’ve just extended the beat in the World at what he does. To now isolate him i to something he never was. A right winger expected to hug the touchline. It’s leading to massive gaps across the front three. With a non-existent press as the shape is so disorganised and all over the shop. Which is having a knock-on effect right through the team as the tempo is so slow and lethargic down to the disorganisation. You can patently see they are trying to do the things we’ve always done with the patterns of play there. But the gaps are too big and the shape just not quite right to pull them off right now as they adapt and get the new change down.

I mean it might well pay great dividends long term. But right now it’s just messy and a head scratcher? Even more so after the awesome display under our normal style in the CS when we destroyed City. I don’t know exactly what’s off right now other than it being systemic. But they’ll work through it and eventually sort it out.

So the match changed the frustration from all the early morning anger and exasperation to just pure frustration. Frustration that we didn’t score one of the many great chances we had and win a game they should have based off that. But equal frustration at something continuing to be just that little bit off and another stop start display that wasn’t great by any stretch if the imagination.

But after 42-years going the game, and more so having nearly paid the ultimate price for this football club through an experience nobody should ever have to suffer and be left mentally scared for life from, after experiencing a similar tragedy a few short years before, I rarely let a game of football ruin my day like when I was young and that was ALL that mattered in life. Going through the darkest depths with Liverpool gives you a far more balanced perspective of just whats <b>really</b> important in life. And football comes well down that list. Which isn’t to say it isn’t still a major part of my life. Heck, Naples this week will be the first game I’ll have missed this season. And if it wasn’t such an unsafe shithole, I’d be out there like I will be Amsterdam and Glasgow. Just everything over the years that gives one a completely different perspective on things.

So its easy to put even Derby disappointment behind you and quickly move on. The one game you still want to win more than any other if you are from/ still live in the City. Si as soon as we regrouped back in town yesterday, we were back to having a laugh about anything and everything over a good few bevvies and skitting Jurgen and his boys between us. With nobody too arsed about the City game as you expected them to volley Villa all over …..

Except they didn’t. Proving yet again what I said in one of these missives the other week that both sides will drop unexpected points through this utterly mad season that will be like no other. And after the frustration of a Derby draw, you then end the day on a high upon finding out City had dropped too and absolutely no damage had been done. With the very manageable 2 game gap still intact. You know they’ll figure out this new change and tweak it to fit everyone again sooner rather than later. And woe betide the test of the league when they do. To still be within a nothing gap to City whilst they work through the current issues and get key players back fit is the best of a frustrating situation to have to go through.

Just a mad range of emotions all day that covered the whole spectrum of being a red on Derby day.

Football aye?

Up the Reds! FTT!!!!!

Last edited: