The Liverpool Thread

What do you guys make of this yellow card decision?

NINTCHDBPICT000757746813.jpg

Not too clever a tattle at all but it looks a lot worse in slow-mo/ a still pic than the live action Derby pace. Yellow was about right in context but it wasn’t a good challenge.

He was terrible again all game so it was in keeping with his current off form.

Last edited:
Love that you noticed it to scouse. Diaz is capable of playing as an out and out winger hugging the touchline but Salah is clearly struggling playing this new role. Especially considering he is double or sometimes triple marked. I won't even get into how janky the press is and it resulting in a suicidal high line but it is what it is. I hope management know what they are doing as we cant keep expecting life lines from City.

Love that you noticed it to scouse. Diaz is capable of playing as an out and out winger hugging the touchline but Salah is clearly struggling playing this new role. Especially considering he is double or sometimes triple marked. I won't even get into how janky the press is and it resulting in a suicidal high line but it is what it is. I hope management know what they are doing as we cant keep expecting life lines from City.

What press?🤣

And now he’s refuting that it’s schematic and nothing has changed. Which leaves me even more confused. 🤷🏼‍♂️

As I said mate, it just seems to me we’re transitioning to a more traditional #9 model that stays central with two wingers who hog the touchline. Which goes completely against what we do and what they are so good it. I don’t understand why we’re changing things for one player so much if that is the case?

And the massive gaps between the front three are having a knock on effect right though the team. The press is absolutely non-existent from the front on back as the shape is all over with the positional tweaks. Which is in turn slowing everything down and even making the likes of Virgil indecisive as to where the runners will be.

That’s been the eye test the first 6 games in the main but if Jurgen’s saying it isn’t systemic, shy of it being different combinations all the time down to injury I’m at a complete loss as to what the issue is? But something is defo off right now.

I also found it mad how he made a thing over the Arthur registration, and then never brought him on when he was cleared for the game. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Unless he figured as we had no shape and were all over the place it was the completely wrong game to expose him in maybe?

I’m just lost as I can’t explain it and just why/ what the actual plan is to understand why things are so off currently. Right from the start under Jurgen you’ve seen the signs of what we’ve wanted to do but currently everything is proper confusing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

But Jurgen and his staff obviously know and we’ll get it down and start to click soon enough

The good thing right now as you noted is City are as up and down too and aren’t getting away from us.

Last edited:
Related and seemingly at the crux of it all, nobody can understand exactly what they are trying to do with Darwin?

I mean I honestly knew nothing of him outside of the two games against Benfica last year. But he certainly looked like, particularly at Anfield, he had great range and likes to pull wide. Which you thought would make his transition to England and ourselves that much easier/ quicker. Like when Sadio moved to the 9 last year. But they appear to want him solely central and even he seems confused as to what he’s supposed to be doing. Let alone the others in how to utilise him.

He did have the versatility to move around at Benfica right?

Related and seemingly at the crux of it all, nobody can understand exactly what they are trying to do with Darwin?

I mean I honestly knew nothing of him outside of the two games against Benfica last year. But he certainly looked like, particularly at Anfield, he had great range and likes to pull wide. Which you thought would make his transition to England and ourselves that much easier/ quicker. Like when Sadio moved to the 9 last year. But they appear to want him solely central and even he seems confused as to what he’s supposed to be doing. Let alone the others in how to utilise him.

He did have the versatility to move around at Benfica right?
I mean he can play on the left as he has done for Benfica before many a times but just like Jota he is much better centrally. I don't think he has the close control or finesse to be consistently up against fullbacks on the left. He is incredibly raw but one thing he does possess is excellent movement so I'm not judging him until he has a year under his belt and Klopp and the coaches can fine tune him. He is a confidence player and once he starts going he gets going according to Benfica fans. So we will see.

6 points off the top the league.

5 off City.

But reading the enlightened ones across social media, we’ll struggle to make top 4. 🙄

Oh woe us aye? 🤦‍♂️

Roll on Wednesday and starting the long march to the Blue Mosque.

6 points off the top the league.

5 off City.

But reading the enlightened ones across social media, we’ll struggle to make top 4. 🙄

Oh woe us aye? 🤦‍♂️

Roll on Wednesday and starting the long march to the Blue Mosque.
A bit like the doom and gloom being spouted about Manchester United getting reglegated after just two games (strange how that disappeared after 4 straight wins) or Arsenal winning the league after 5 unbeaten... We all know that there is a long way to go until the end of the season yet it's probably going to be a safe bet that Leicester are back to being a struggling club and the top 6 places will once again be a fight between the usual suspects.

Interesting thread and an interesting discussion.

I don’t think it’s any coincidence that our clear three best players thus far, Harvey, JMG and, Carvalho, had far less minutes than anyone else last season. Elliott and Gomez through rehabbing their serious injuries. Carvalho, to a lesser extent, not being here and going through what the squad went through physically and emotionally last term.

Nor do I think it’s any coincidence that the scandalous mid-season WC is prompting a completely different approach from managers in a season that will literally be a survival of the fittest. Which is highlighted here more than any other club given we played every single possible game last year. Followed by those non-sensical 4 Internationals in 10 days leading to a nothing summer break.

The November/ December joke of a WC is significantly F up the whole season in Europe no matter which way you cut it.

And even if clubs aren’t approaching things differently to prolong their assets and get them through this season, it’s only natural, even subconsciously, for players to be holding back on the pitch to ensure they are fit and ready to go in Qatar. Which was one of the post-most discussions we had Sat’day regarding Virgil and his seemingly lax and even more laid back attitude than usual this year with this potentially being his last chance on the International stage at a tournament with the Netherlands after missing out on the Euros.

I had thought we’d try beast it through to the mid-season break, get a lead, and then reassess who was still standing for the second half charge. But Dan might be onto something as regards ourselves and our approach to getting through a season like no other and we might well be intentionally holding back a bit.

One thing is for certain, other clubs are going to see injuries rack up as the games pile in (I’m not wishing that on anyone, it is inevitable) & the stop,/ start nature of this mad, hectic season & mid-tournament pressure.

For those that have started well, progress may well be harder to maintain and/ or pick back up from late December onwards.

It’s an interesting discussion/ addition to what’s fixing to be the most unusual and maddest season we’ve ever seen.

Last edited:
Everyone are at the same pot as you are. Ofcourse noone likes it but does not change it. If you are top club you will have players playing in this stupid mid season WC. I would say you have team that has key players not going, so second season will become stronger for sure.

Mo Salah, Luis Diaz, Joel Matip, Ibrahima Konate, , Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Kostas Tsimikas, Joe Gomez, Naby Keita, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott Thiago, Roberto Firmino(not 100% sure, might be picked) Andy Robertson.

Would say that is pretty strong line up that is not going to WC.

Think your bad form goes more deeper into the team. TAA is more exposed without steady midfield that should been bolstered with transfers. Mane was intrigant part of your squad, defence can now double on other sides than worrying on both Mane and Salah. Questionable decision from Klopp. For example against Everton why not start Firmino? In form striker, who plays amazingly well with the team he has been part for so long against rivals. He decided to put the hot head in for such a crucial game where you needed your momentum to go on. Milner sub for TAA, I mean he is amazing fitness guy, but does not have the pace to battle out on the wing.

Keita, OX, Curtis Jones, Jota, Konate - these injuries do not have real effect from the fact that the season started earlier and this crazy schedule is coming. I think Jota got preseason injury if remember correctly, but this stuff happens. Thiago and Matip where injured in first game. Also this happens, for Thiago it was no surprise :D

To fix injurie prone midfield you loaned Arthur who is also injury prone :D

so are thay not building it?

They actually are finally. It would have cost them more to pull out what they were committed to with the construction company so they continued on. Most of the steelwork’s up.

It actually looks good this far. But F knows what they’ll do with the area around it? There’s like one boozer and F all else. And you’re a good 20/25 minute walk out of town.

It’s going to be interesting planjing a match day when they finally move in 2 years I think the aim is.

Not often I’ll ever say this, but I couldn’t be happier this AM being home and working rather on a Euro away.

I may have mentioned it a few times or ten, but you couldn’t pay me enough to ever return to that absolute cesspit of inhumanity that is Naples. For the hardy few that have braved the grim, moody shithole (And a conservative guess is we’ll have under 500 or so despite selling the full 2.7k allocation. One of those occasions where credit hunting is totally justified and acceptable), to be warned to ‘not leave your hotel and not wonder into the centre’, is beyond unbelievable. A continued utter disgrace from UEFA that Napoli haven’t been LONG banned from Europe when this happens season in, season out. If you can’t guarantee people visiting your City’s safety, then you shouldn’t be hosting games. END OF!!!!! You could just imagine the reaction if that was put out bu our Police/ authorities to anyone coming to L’pool, And just how quickly UEFA woild act to sanction us. *****!!!!! 🤬

So the actual game is pretty immaterial to the safety of everyone out right now. I won’t personally rest easy until I know friends are back home safe tomorrow. Knowing just what an absolute shithole and nightmare of a trip Naples is. To the point I’d honestly happily lose the game if it ensured everyone returned home safe.

Here’s to the latter off the pitch and the mighty Reds starting the long road to that glorious City by the Bosporus in June with a win.

UTR! FTT!!!!!

Trent-Arnold is a serious problem at the moment. Why is he just standing there?

https://dubz.co/v/has819 << second goal
https://dubz.co/v/smj8kz << third goal. Doesn't even try to run back after getting rinsed. Just gives up.
First he doesn't expect Gomez to lose it and second is classic ball watching. He isn't match fit imo or playing nearly every game last season and the short pre season has taken it's toll. Never seen him this lacking in the basics before. Then again a high line with fullbacks pushed up with a midfield that has no legs in it is near impossible to defend in the transition. Madness watching us do the same things over and over again and the defence and Ali cant bail us out every time.