The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
From the view I watched Robertson grabbed his arm slightly first and it looked like the 4th official was shrugging him off. Both should get a slap on the wrist

I may be slightly bevvied after a great Easter Sunday but a few thoughts .....

I profess I was gone for the first 10 or so. That silence, as always, knocked me sideways. Next Sat'day, the hardest day of any year, will be as tough as it's been the past 34 years. But at least I'll be amongst friends and fellow survivors. In the open rawness of a match day, it was a struggle to hold it together and I aren't shamed to admit that. Thank you greatly Arsenal fans for giving us the utmost respect when it was needed most.

How in the World did we not win that game? Preverbal game of two halves where we were utter dog S first half. But superb the second. The power of Anfield. This is the day you feel Arsenal lost the league. And all things being equal, they will be nowhere near ourselves and City next year as normality resumes. This was their one free-hit season to win it all and if I'm right, they'll end up having the biggest choke season in PL history.

I thought Trent was superb in a slightly different role and the best player on the park. Utterly mad how folk don't appreciate his unique talents. Nor understand it's down to other factors that he's been badly exposed through no fault of his own this year.

Last year it was Arteta doing a madness that sparked us into life. This year, it was Xhaka getting into a nonsense with the aforementioned Trent. Which totally turned the game on it's head from a L'pool side heading to an embarrassing defeat at home. To one utterly dominant against an Arsenal side that then utterly S it under the force of the crowd and the Red machine as one. Best side in the Country my pasty white behind. These are nowhere near City, or, under normal circumstances, our own level. City roll out comfortable winners today. Arsenal were hanging on for dear life at the end.

Tierney is an absolute disgrace all game. As is the Arsenal lad who feigned the head injury second half to be down ages. Someone is going to be in serious trouble down to these players that are flaunting the concussion rule and blatantly cheating.

Couldn't be prouder of the Reds today. On and off the park. THATS the L'pool we know and love. THATS the L'pool that the rest of the league should be fearing for next season.

We know what we need to do. And we aren't far off from being the unplayable machine we know and love once more.

Keep doing what we did that second half and we'll all be smiling again real soon.

UTR. FTT!!!!!

Last edited:

Just seen the stonewall peno on Mo at the end they don’t give which was bad and costly enough. And Xhaka should walk too. But an official actually raising his arm to elbow someone ….. don't think I’ve ever seen that in my life. If he doesn’t get a big ban from officiating, like a player would if he’d done similar, and demoted, something is SERIOUSLY wrong.

Roy Keane’s comments were a proper joke too. Another one thats now playing the Sky game for clicks.

Last edited:
Gabriel isn't even tall enough to blow a midget, but jumps over VVD

Shithouse wants a LONG ban for feigning a head injury. This is getting WELL out of hand with too many players exploiting this now. When someone actually is concussed, they’ll play on and something serious will occur.

Disgraceful new cheating in the game that needs clamping down on.

Said going in that yesterday would be the day Arsenal looked back on that they lost the league. (Which will be the biggest choke job in PL history BTW the gap they had at the top over City Chrimbo.). They’ve improved this year but under normal circumstances, they are nowhere near City or our level of the past 4/ 5 seasons. Like Utd, Newcastle etc, they’ve just benefited from the big 2’s drop off after all their unprecedented exertions over the duration.

I might be wrong but I believe the pendulum swung yesterday and a ravenous City will now win out and win another tainted title. City who would have destroyed us yesterday after our dog S start and won the game comfortably. THATS the difference in levels that Arsenal aren’t anywhere near yet,

Anfield is a humbler and they absolutely S it when the bonheaded Xhaka (who should have walked BTW to ad a woefully inept officiating display from Tierney), did what his equally boneheaded manager did last season and stirred the Red beast on and off the park.

Still not sure how we didn’t come away with all 3 points after absolutely volleying them all over for the last hour but thats football. You often don’t get what you deserve.

Wasn’t worried going in and I aren’t worried at all that we’ll win the last 5 at home. The home form has been the one thing that has held up this year. Anfield is a humbler.

The issue is you don’t know what will happen at Leeds on Monday night? 🤷🏼‍♂️ If we play with the same desire and intensity the last 4 away, as we do at home, then we are more than capable of running the table and finishing with 9 wins out of 9.

Top 4 is still WELL open and attainable to anyone that wants it. We’ve been in worse scenarios than this the last 10 under Jurgen and come storming through to get the CL spot. But they have to truly want it and leave NOTHING on the park any game.

Over to the players now.

Cautiously optimistic but no more than that until they start to show it away from home. Leeds will be a battle and a half now after their disgrace yesterday but match them for effort, and we’ll be sound.

Over to the players. Its there if you truly believe in each other and want it boys. Hopefully, yeaterday was the start in rediscovering that trust and belief in the top class side we know you still are.

BTW, credit where credits due, can I just thank Arsenal Football Club and their fans for the classy way they showed most every other set of visiting supporters this year how to behave and comduct yourselves at the match.

The team and staff paying tributes at the Hillsborough memorial was touching enough. But to the have an impeccably observed silence, followed by NO tragedy chanting/ chanting about poverty/ social deprivation/ unemployment et al, just songs about their own team, was a really pleasant and enjoyable change.

Respect where its due. Arsenal and their support were a proper, classy credit yesterday.

As we know more than most, some things are FAR bigger than a mere game of football.

1681127493906.jpeg

Last edited:
If you think Diogo’s remotely on the market mate you are going to be badly disappointed.
Unfortunately we capped ourselves in the market but giving him an insane salary for his role in the team. For all the good Edwards done one of the biggest negatives is his hamstring us in the transfer market as we have too many squad players on salaries no befitting their role in the team. So unless we can con Howe one last time by selling him Jota, we stuck with him.

Said going in that yesterday would be the day Arsenal looked back on that they lost the league. (Which will be the biggest choke job in PL history BTW the gap they had at the top over City Chrimbo.). They’ve improved this year but under normal circumstances, they are nowhere near City or our level of the past 4/ 5 seasons. Like Utd, Newcastle etc, they’ve just benefited from the big 2’s drop off after all their unprecedented exertions over the duration.

I might be wrong but I believe the pendulum swung yesterday and a ravenous City will now win out and win another tainted title. City who would have destroyed us yesterday after our dog S start and won the game comfortably. THATS the difference in levels that Arsenal aren’t anywhere near yet,

Anfield is a humbler and they absolutely S it when the bonheaded Xhaka (who should have walked BTW to ad a woefully inept officiating display from Tierney), did what his equally boneheaded manager did last season and stirred the Red beast on and off the park.

Still not sure how we didn’t come away with all 3 points after absolutely volleying them all over for the last hour but thats football. You often don’t get what you deserve.

Wasn’t worried going in and I aren’t worried at all that we’ll win the last 5 at home. The home form has been the one thing that has held up this year. Anfield is a humbler.

The issue is you don’t know what will happen at Leeds on Monday night? 🤷🏼‍♂️ If we play with the same desire and intensity the last 4 away, as we do at home, then we are more than capable of running the table and finishing with 9 wins out of 9.

Top 4 is still WELL open and attainable to anyone that wants it. We’ve been in worse scenarios than this the last 10 under Jurgen and come storming through to get the CL spot. But they have to truly want it and leave NOTHING on the park any game.

Over to the players now.

Cautiously optimistic but no more than that until they start to show it away from home. Leeds will be a battle and a half now after their disgrace yesterday but match them for effort, and we’ll be sound.

Over to the players. Its there if you truly believe in each other and want it boys. Hopefully, yeaterday was the start in rediscovering that trust and belief in the top class side we know you still are.
Usually I'd agree with you that we could somehow scrap top 4 but the point game is now 10 points I believe. Plus too many players are already on holiday mode and that mentality is hard to turn off.

Unfortunately we capped ourselves in the market but giving him an insane salary for his role in the team. For all the good Edwards done one of the biggest negatives is his hamstring us in the transfer market as we have too many squad players on salaries no befitting their role in the team. So unless we can con Howe one last time by selling him Jota, we stuck with him.

£140 K per week over 5 years for a young International regular who's integral to the forward rotation doesn't seem too hefty to me mate. Shrugs.

But then I have a completely different view as to his importance and worth than you do.

Usually I'd agree with you that we could somehow scrap top 4 but the point game is now 10 points I believe. Plus too many players are already on holiday mode and that mentality is hard to turn off.

If you are suggesting by that they aren't 'putting it in', I'd have to completely take issue there mate.

Related, this was a quote from the Jurgens Arsenal presser through the week: ''The first step is intensity, desire, passion. Good at Chelsea, really that was good. The rest, not so much. But it’s fine, so let’s go from there.”

It's been proper mad to me to often read people questioning the players effort this season. To the point I've read call's for them to refund the supporters money down to them not putting it in. Bar the odd occasion, like the second half in a dead game at City the other weekend, I've honestly never felt that at all at the game this year. And Chelsea was a prime example last Tuesday night .....

The maddening thing from ourselves that game, was that we never seemed to want to gamble to win it and just put everything we had into not losing. But their work ethic, collectively and individually, as most every game this season, couldn’t be questioned. They battled tooth and nail all night for the point they got. Just when things are as bad as they've been this season, with confidence this low, that isn’t enough and often looks like they aren’t putting it in as they are a second too slow to react and move. And all it takes at this level is being a second off.

For all the things you can legit nark about in this grim season, questioning the players effort and commitment honestly isn't one of them IMHO..

£140 K per week over 5 years for a young International regular who's integral to the forward rotation doesn't seem too hefty to me mate. Shrugs.

But then I have a completely different view as to his importance and worth than you do.
It's a symptom of one of the reasons I believe we struggle in the transfer market. Whether you think Diogo is important or not doesn't take away from the fact we have too many squad players on wages that no other team can afford. You can't just sign players without space in the squad. Example being we have Nat Phillips on 60 or 70k a week (Love Naldini but still) and we gave Gomez a new and improved contract over the summer when their was interest. I wont even get into the likes of Ox and Keita but it proves my point that wage bill under Edwards tenure has hamstrung in trying to update the squad over time. As we are either spending too much money on subpar squad players and more importantly having no space in the squad.

I don't really get that argument either on extensions. Nat earned the right to be bumped. As did Joe. You aren't going to keep younger guys if you don't reward progress both individually and their contribution to team success. I mean football salaries are scandalous anyway but they are what they are and you have to remain competitive,

It is interesting that they are getting away recently from lower basics that are heavily bonus incentivised. But then with the astronomical wage bill down to all the player and staff bonuses with our ridiculous success over recent seasons in all comps, I think they want to get away from being hit with one massive bill at the end of a successful year on the accounts.

I don't know, you could legit argue that the midfield money invested in Oxo-Chambo and Keita (even if it was with good intentions as they should now be part of the midfield on a regular basis. You just can't legislate for the injuries), has made reinforcements there awkwared as we aren't State backed with unlimited funds. But I think there's a lot more issues to be annoyed at than what we pay in salary.

Wasnt he the one involved with Tierney when the golden boy Kane went studs up and escaped a red last season?

Yup. It tutns out he was. A game of which AndyRobbo waled in when Tory Boy escaped scot-free for worse. Before you even mention the shocking non-peno on Jota that game and similar on Mo late yesterday.

Uncanny coincidence that we are here again with the same officials isn't it?

The FA have to act and act hard and fast surely?

I don't really get that argument either on extensions. Nat earned the right to be bumped. As did Joe. You aren't going to keep younger guys if you don't reward progress both individually and their contribution to team success. I mean football salaries are scandalous anyway but they are what they are and you have to remain competitive,

It is interesting that they are getting away recently from lower basics that are heavily bonus incentivised. But then with the astronomical wage bill down to all the player and staff bonuses with our ridiculous success over recent seasons in all comps, I think they want to get away from being hit with one massive bill at the end of a successful year on the accounts.

I don't know, you could legit argue that the midfield money invested in Oxo-Chambo and Keita (even if it was with good intentions as they should now be part of the midfield on a regular basis. You just can't legislate for the injuries), has made reinforcements there awkwared as we aren't State backed with unlimited funds. But I think there's a lot more issues to be annoyed at than what we pay in salary.
Its less about the salary although it is a big issue as you can't move them on as you either have to pay them out or cover some of the salary. It's the lack of space in the squad available because we are keeping around players that are either too injury prone or should have been moved on time ago.

Back