The Liverpool Thread

Nice, crisp winters day to extend our lead at the top to 6 points over the cheats and continue our imperious march to # 20. The fact that comes at the expense of Utd and adding to their continued misery is just a pre-Chrimbo bonus.

TRATOTL, and the Reds are staying TOTL!

Cant help but think a prime Mane, Bobby and Salah front three and we walk this league. Seems like if Salah has a stinker in the final third the others cant make up the numbers for him. Nunez is a work in progress but Diaz form has fallen off a cliff which is expected after the year of injuries and trauma. United were there for the taking but we ******* the in the final third. The league this year is who can be the least ****. My monies on City or Arsenal if I'm putting my Liverpool bias aside. Think it's come just a season too early for us.

Cant help but think a prime Mane, Bobby and Salah front three and we walk this league. Seems like if Salah has a stinker in the final third the others cant make up the numbers for him. Nunez is a work in progress but Diaz form has fallen off a cliff which is expected after the year of injuries and trauma. United were there for the taking but we ******* the in the final third. The league this year is who can be the least ****. My monies on City or Arsenal if I'm putting my Liverpool bias aside. Think it's come just a season too early for us.
Just to mention this - United were missing 3 of their best midfielders in Bruno, Mount and Casemiro, if they played this game it would be totally different. Probably another 5 or 6 nil.

Just to mention this - United were missing 3 of their best midfielders in Bruno, Mount and Casemiro, if they played this game it would be totally different. Probably another 5 or 6 nil.
It was just a wasteful evening that happens honestly but I'm talking about the league this year in general. Nobody of the challengers are playing any well and I feel like for this squad it's a come a year too early. Which is a shame because it's up for grabs imo.

It was just a wasteful evening that happens honestly but I'm talking about the league this year in general. Nobody of the challengers are playing any well and I feel like for this squad it's a come a year too early. Which is a shame because it's up for grabs imo.
I'd argue quality of the league is all time high, difference between midtable and top teams is much smaller. For example, United could've easily won tonight, just like Liverpool could. You'd need a lot of luck and resilience to win the league.

I'd argue quality of the league is all time high, difference between midtable and top teams is much smaller. For example, United could've easily won tonight, just like Liverpool could. You'd need a lot of luck and resilience to win the league.
I meant the quality of the teams is no match for the two super teams that City and Liverpool assembled. Either of those teams would pummel the top 6 teams in their current forms.

Well that was a frustrating afternoon of a chance not taken. But, ultimately, a good weekend with nothing lost on City.

Yesterdays admin-

Title Countdown:
11 wins down/ 19 to go.
38 points down/ 55 to go.

Current PL unbeaten run:
P 10 W 6 D 4 F 20 A 8 CS: 5

Current unbeaten home PL run:
P 20 W 16 D 4 F 49 A 15 CS: 11

Kudos to Utd. I’ve never seen a Utd side come to r’s SO defensive with only one aim. To not get beat. But they got exactly what they set out for and they deserve full credit for that. They made it a dog of a game, determined to not have anything like last season happen to them again. Defending for their lives and running their backsides off closing down space and throwing bodies and heads in front of everything. Although they had very little interest in attacking, out of possession, they were superb and they deserve all the praise going for that. As ugly as they well understandably made it to watch, that wasn’t a team not playing for the manager or shirt at all. Far from mocking them for celebrating the point, you totally understand that after the brilliant defensive effort they put forth and have to tip your hat to them for their game plan and effort/ execution working to perfection. A much better day out at Anfield than they’ve had in a long time.

L’pool, on the other hand, just weren’t quite on it and let a very good opportunity to increase their lead on City slip by.

A very frustrating afternoon where we never asked the question we should have by getting the goal and throwing Utd’s ‘defend for their lives’ tactics in the sea. Theres been a lot of criticism of the front three post match. But the bigger issue, if thats even the right word when they are having such a brilliant season, is more behind in midfield where a few tweaks are needed to step things back up another level. I get why he’s doing it. But I don’t think all the rotation in there is helping anyone. The shape is just that little bit off and its leading to players getting in each others way and the passing being off. Trent moving in there on 60 every game is congesting things further. Which in turn, along with no AndyRobbo down the left, is leaving them with no real wide attacking outlet. And the knock-on is the build up is slower, and the balls into the front three is laboured and the service for them just isn’t quite there. Nothing major. Just needs settling down and a bit of rejigging. Mac Allister back as the deep lying playmaker with his ability to break lines will be a major step to that end.

Just needs a few little adjustments the middle to get us fully firing again. But its hard to be overly critical when the season is going as well as it is with what has been a whole new midfield still finding its feet.

Two fan negatives on both sides-

The absolute low life who bottled Utd’s coach. Please stay away from Anfield aye? Hopefully you’re on camera and the appropriate ban is incoming.

And Utd fans that both sang about food poverty, and waited until they were exiting the ground to start tragedy chanting ….. What is it going to take to educate you lads? Tory behaviour and then some. I mean seriously. How much lower do you want to continually stoop before you realise YOU are the problem? 🤷🏼‍♂️ Grow up aye boys?

On a plus fan side, it was brilliant to see the upper Anny almost full. And the noise from that end of the ground was very noticeable. They were LOUD man. Koppites have a rival again which is superb. We’ll need to up our game if the Road End is back to that haha.

Ultimately, a frustrating Sunday and opportunity missed. But far from terminal as the cheats also dropped so we stay 4 clear of them at the top. A far worse weekend for City than ourselves with another game gone by.

Another point toward #20.

We’re winning this league yanno!

On to West Ham and the march to Wembley in the Spring!

UTR! FTT!!!!!

Last edited:

Stupendously excellent news. 🎊🎉🕺🕺🕺🎉🎊

Absolutely asinine idea that would make it nigh on impossible to attend all the games.

But, lest we forget, FIFA are ALL about supporters right? 🙄🤦‍♂️🤬
Yep not fussed about that one bit

Stupendously excellent news. 🎊🎉🕺🕺🕺🎉🎊

Absolutely asinine idea that would make it nigh on impossible to attend all the games.

But, lest we forget, FIFA are ALL about supporters right? 🙄🤦‍♂️🤬
Let the 'cheats' play in another pointless competition against clubs which would barely cope in the English 1st Division, yes it will bring in more money but at what cost to the players.

Useless Bluenose bleeps!

Useless Saudi bleeps!

We BADLY need to draw 'Boro. Can't be doing with a London midweek so early in the NY with Arsenal away twice and Bournemouth around it.

Because Mini-Klopp-

Fascinating to see what the two sides are tonight. West Ham have the early Sat’day dinner game this weekend. So who do the sports science guys allow Moyes to safely play? And what way do we roll? Can’t see Jurgen making too many changes in a quarter at home the way this competition has completely opened up. Maybe JMG at right full and Quansah CH. A Curtis, Harvey and Endo midfield. And Gakpo in for Diaz the left? But honestly, outside of Kelleher as its his competition, I wouldn’t like to say what he’ll do? 🤷🏼‍♂️ So many options. Really intriguing to see both line-ups.

Be a belter night at a wild Anfield regardless as we hopefully take the next step to yet another Wembley day out in the early Spring.

Got me watching that last night. And there wasn’t an onion near me.

I rarely talk about Sheffield, outside of the times I need the support of our close group of fellow survivors and the best friends anyone could ever wish to have. For obvious reasons. But I just want to share, without divulging the personal details, one of my most treasured possessions which is a letter from Kenny the he wrote in the aftermath, in response to a letter my Dad wrote him, about how we were both struggling with everything. Not least having any interest in football at all. Which still blows me away that he found the time, with everything else he was dealing with on a personal level taking the entire City’s grief on his shoulders, to personally respond in such a dignified and superbly thoughtful manner. Incredible of him and a mark of the man he is WAY beyond what he means to the football club.

Couldn’t think of a better recipient. Couldn’t think of a better person who embodies everything this City stands for.

PROPER Scouser to everyone in his adopted City.

Suprise suprise we look much better with actual width in the side. Although Moyes and his defeatist attitude to any game away from home certainly helped. Wanted to mention that Tsimikas just needed a run in the side to look back to his best and I hope this time Klopp doesn't just drop him to the sides and he ends up losing his confidence again.

Grim day to go 7 clear at the top the league at Chrimbo and remind Arsenal just how much further they have to go to reach L’pool and the cheats level.

Hopefully Nunez catches a break today. His all around game has been superb 9 times out of 10. Just needs one to go in and he’ll be off on a roll.

Feel like we were better than them but like I said before the rest of the forward line cant seem to pick up the slack if Salah doesn't bag (which he did today tbf). The subs killed the momentum for us and I know me and scouse were waxing lyricals over Gravenberch but by god lately he has been tosh. Today was one of the worst performances ive seen from a sub at Anfield. He was lazy and not only that he was shirking 50/50s. It felt like he had played a full 120min and not just come on. Criminal his performance.

One of the worst performances from a sub I’ve seen at Anfield’ ….. You don’t half overreact d mate at times. 🤦‍♂️

—————————————————

What a game of football that was! Another 2 dropped? Or another point gained toward #20 in the marathon 10 month slog that is the English football league season?

Yesterdays admin-

Title Countdown:
11 wins down/ 19 to go.
39 points down/ 54 to go.

Current PL unbeaten run:
P 11 W 6 D 5 F 21 A 9 CS: 5

Current unbeaten home PL run:
P 21 W 16 D 5 F 50 A 16 CS: 11

What a stunningly good game of top level togger that was. Played out in front of a wild atmosphere. No wonder Arteta called it the most ’intense and hectic’ game he’s ever seen. I wouldn’t personally concur. But for drama that would match any Chrimbo TV special, which ebbed and flowed to the last, between currently the two top teams in the Country, it was befitting of the pre-match billing. The pace and intensity of both sides, in the face of the fearsome Anfield wind which was whipping around in all directions, made it a compelling contest.

The first half was 50/ 50. Arsenal, unlike Utd, come to play expansive, attacking football. Arguably the best Arsenal side since their last, title winning ‘Invincible’s’ vintage. And one this rebuilt L’pool side, with its completely overhauled midfield, now missing 7 players, is sat a mere point behind at Christmas. They take the lead from an early set-piece we slept on. But we roar back into the game with a wonder goal from the PL’s best player. Created by the leagues best creative outlet with his record equalling assist. And are denied a stonewall penalty from another atrocious piece of VAR that leaves everyone watching dumbfounded. For the second time this year, the LB is lost to lengthy injury. But his replacement is again fantastic to showcase the depth back there. A compelling half where both teams had to work so hard for anything. Both superbly organised and coached. But both prepared to take risks knowing one mistake would be punished.

L’pool are superb for the first 30 of the second half. Arsenal can’t breathe under the relentless pressure from team and crowd. 3 great chances the first 10 after half-time. Another 2 or 3 after that. Arsenal are rocking. And then the miss ….. the one major chance you were waiting for. On the one hand Trent is terribly unlucky as Mo returns the favour to him. On the other, you have to be taking a 5 on 2 break. Have to! But we didn’t, and thats football at the very highest level. Fine, fine margins. Arsenal then feed off that and momentum swings again for them to control the last 15 against our more tired kegs with them not playing through the week.

Although we had the better of it from Mo’s equaliser through Trents miss, along with yet more abysmal officiating, 1-1 is probably about right in an absolute Christmas cracker of a game.

Oh yeah, to anyone going against the match/going support last week and applauding Jurgen’s nonsense ….. Arsenal were singing ’Jurgen’s right, Yer fans are S!’ Which, like, fair play to them. We’d have been ALL over it had Arteta come out with similar on them. But just another example of why he was SO bang out of order, aside from talking utter bllcks, and what we’ll now get from the opposition the rest of the season. Cheers mate. Really appreciate that. 🤦‍♂️😡

2 dropped or another point gained? Well, City were the ultimate beneficiaries with the perfect result for them. But to be going into Christmas, sat a point out of first, with what would be an unbeaten league record were it not for an unprecedented, historical VAR F up down at Tottenham, whilst still involved in every other competition we’ve entered ….. You couldn’t have wished for a better first half of the season.

Buckle in folks. This epic rollercoaster has many more thrilling twists and turns to go yet!

‘Transitional season?’ …..

Nah. We CAN win this F league yanno’!

Have a very, merry Christmas, if you celebrate it, wherever you are in the World. Liverpool’s couldn’t be much better.

And we’ll do it all again at Burnley on Boxing Day.

UTR! FTT!!!!!

Last edited: