The Liverpool Thread

As much as I’m still devoed Jurgen isn’t leading us, I’m proper excited by the by passing day the more we get to know this fella’.And the impression I'm getting is that the transition from Jurgen's brand of football to Slots style of play might just be a far smoother transition than many people were predicting. The fundamental principles are there. With a few tweaks to evolve this again with a Dutch twist.

And I honestly see no reason why we shouldn’t both hit the ground running, and seriously challenge for everything again this season under him.

I mean it’s not like Jurgen hasn’t left well arguably the deepest quality, young squad in the league. Another year on in their development from taking a title challenge last year to 3 games from the end of the season or anything aye?

It's an actual rumour that I know of for once although it's only Joe Gomez related as per usual. I can confirm he was offered to Newcastle as part of the Gordon agreement back when they had PSR issues and from what my mate tells me Joe was up for it, I don't blame him he is entering his prime now and does want to be more than a utility man. Ngl I think it would be a mistake to let him go from a selfish point of view but wouldn't be surprised if something was done between the two clubs near the end of the window.

An indication of just how bad they want Gordon.

August is fixing to be a month.
im lowkey hoping we dont get him. Not that he isn't a decent player and he works hard on his game but I feel like a season of good form is too much for what he would cost. Wait a year and see if he can replicate the same form, see how Slot will use the current forwards, and reassess next season. I think the left winger market is currently dead as is the same with DMs and I know Diaz is wasteful and if we can move him on then so be it but if I had a choice I'd rather keep him than lose Gomez and sign Gordon right now.

Wouldn’t be left side mate. He’s the succession plan for Mo.

I want him bad. Just not sure I want him losing Joe Gomez bad.

But they have a lot more to weigh up than me in team building.

Wouldn’t be left side mate. He’s the succession plan for Mo.

I want him bad. Just not sure I want him losing Joe Gomez bad.

But they have a lot more to weigh up than me in team building.
I Swear his right-footed and has played mostly on the left for Newcastle? I know Slot likes his wideman to stay wide and provide width but well see I guess. On the Gomez situation, all I know is he was open to the move and he just wanted to be the first choice and at his age it's understandable. Anyway like you said we've still got a month of silly season ahead of us lets see how it goes.

I Swear his right-footed and has played mostly on the left for Newcastle? I know Slot likes his wideman to stay wide and provide width but well see I guess. On the Gomez situation, all I know is he was open to the move and he just wanted to be the first choice and at his age it's understandable. Anyway like you said we've still got a month of silly season ahead of us lets see how it goes.

He's spent his career playing right across the front three and as a #10 mate. Because he had a break out season last year with double figure goals and assists from the left, there's this mad assertion that he's a left winger who cuts inside on his right. He may as well be two footed as his left is as strong as his right.

Only the second player in PL history to score against Arsenal, Chelsea, City, L'pool, Tottenham and Utd in the same season, he's the preverbal big game player. And often he scored the crucial first goal in games last year. 13 goals, 11 assists was it all comps? If I’m him, I’m thinking I could be as big a local hero here as his boyhood hero Gerrard.

Said it on here a few days ago I’ve no doubt personally he’ll be here next summer or the year after now his head has been turned. But the rumour won’t go away this summer …..

I need to watch the second half later as I crashed at half-time. But that first half was a super watch. Seemed like both teams wanted to put down a marker that they’d be the dominant one to catch in the league this year. Some superb football from both, played at a ridiculous pace in that heat that was far more PL pace than a friendly. Made up for our American friends that they got to experience as close to the full product as is possible pre-season.

Hopefully the second half is as enjoyable.

This is gonna’ be one boss ride again with the new Dutch twist.

Ok, just caught up with the second-half of last nights mightily impressive win over Arsenal that much needed sleep had me bailing on in the early hours this AM. So, with the usual caveat of it being pre-season, with everything gearing up toward Ipswich, a few observations-

First off, that was much more like a full-on PL game than a friendly kick-around. I said this morning it appeared both sides badly wanted to lay down a marker to show they'll be the main contenders to the cheats this season. Terrific game played at a terrific pace and intensity for the majority. The pace and pressing in that heat was super impressive. (Although Ben White took it a step too far with his snide doing of Carvalho out of play.). All of which was just reward for our American support with every single seat sold out for a record attendance for a game in Philadelphia. With the Reds in attendance outnumbering Arsenal by something like 70/30 through the 69,879 crowd. MASSIVE kudos to them the impeccable period of silence for the Southport tragedy. You could hear a pin drop in an incredibly poignant tribute with everything being so raw. If Arne and his compatriots didn't realise they'd joined the biggest club on the planet, it will be hitting home now in spades on tour with the ridiculous interest. I was absolutely made up for the American support to not only get to experience something approaching PL level intensity live. But to be privileged to witness a classic Mo Salah goal of the highest order. The PL, not that they ever needed to be with one of the greatest of all time footballers, have again been put on notice that a fully rested Mo, with a full pre-season behind him for the first time in years, has lost none of his pace, as he showed in leaving Zinchenko and Gabriel in his wake. With his finishing as deadly as ever.

After a much stronger Arsenal, naturally as they are entering year 6 of the Arteta project, dominated the first 10 mins as they all know what they are doing and what they are about, L'pool kept playing, were fully in control and ran out fully deserved winners. Just a pity Jota hitting the post among other chances didn't give the score-line a more balanced look than the 2-1 victory. Showing in the process, not that it was in any doubt, that they are every bit Arsenal's equal in being primed to take over from City's dominance. And I loved that the second-half of the game was so different in it's variety to the dominant first. A brilliant display of game management in seeing a game out. Restricting Arsenal to just one chance (Heck of a save from Kelleher BTW), as they took away Arsenal's out ball and left them completely bereft of ideas. Made all the more impressive in so much as it was a virtual U18/U21 side for the last 20. Who never missed a beat and never looked out of place.

Some player shout-outs:

I thought Sepp and Jarell were again superb at CH. Absolutely made up for the former that he's now getting his chance to shine here and show what anyone who's been following his season-on-season development through his time here knows already. That he's well on the path to being another top class, dominant, ball playing CH straight out of the Virgil mould. And the latter was my MOTM. He's just gets better and better. There won't be many nailed on starters in Slot's L'pool as he and his team have a penchant for going with the fittest players over anything on any given match. Rotation will be key. But the CH partnership is nailed down for sure with Quansah partnering the big man. Throw in Sepp and Konate, and that's a ****** strong quartet even with Joel no longer here. Allows you to either bring in another youngster from the outside to develop as a 5th in line. Or push through another of our burgeoning kids into that role. Taking away the need to spend big on a CH this summer to replace Joel.

The combo of Dom and Curtis is developing great too .Like a classic midfield 2 where one sits and one goes. Curtis was quietly very impressive in what he was asked to do before coming off injured the Betis game. And he was super yesterday in keeping everything simple and moving. Not many better players at the football club in keeping possession of the football. And Dominic breaking from a deep playmaker role is a really intriguing prospect. With both doing excellent sitting defensive work which totally frustrated Arsenal down to what, 2 real chances all game? (Kelleher's early laid back play aside giving Jesus chances.). Absolutely no fear at all for them both to be starting the first few games whilst Macca and co get up to speed. And Harvey ahead of them is improving another level as a natural 10. The variety in his two assists were superb. And he should have made more of other great opportunities he placed himself in.

I also found it really intriguing again that Trey was the first off the bench HT ahead of Morton and Stefan. This time showcasing his wares in multiple roles as the personnel dictated from the middle, to being wide, to being up front. Proper interesting the way he's being pushed and the way Slot glows when talking about him. Well ahead of his development curve already like so many of his peers.

Loved the formation changes again. The 4-3-3 was great now we have a genuine forward to lead the line with Diogo the first off that rank. But I liked the solution to no genuine forward 2nd half being more a 4-2-4-0 again with two false 9's/ 10's, and two wide wingers. Different solutions to problems from the way Jurgen solved issues.

Another really enjoyable run-out, with two belter goals of different quality. One a quintessential Klopp/ Salah goal. The other a brilliant pass and move goal that seems likely to become a Slot trademark. All from a friendly that was only that in name only. And a marker set down to Arsenal. Well still having a lot of work and development to get through before Ipswich. Tsimikas getting sent for an Echo by Odegaard for Arsenal's goal a glaring downer. And some of the passing needs tightening up before the opener.

Next up, the continued clown-show down the other end of the East Lancs.

UTR! FTT!!!!!

Superb end to whats been a superb tour of very noticeable and quick progress into what Slot football is all about. So, with the usual caveat of it being pre-season, albeit that it’s NEVER a friendly between us and them, and that certainly wasn’t played as one, a few observations-

Massive kudos again to our American friends for setting a stadium record for football for the 2nd straight game. A full to capacity, 77,559 in Colombia, SC. Made up for them that they not only got to experience the biggest rivalry in World football bar none live. But got to witness an exquisite piece of skill from an all time football legend when Mo sent the poor kid at left full for Utd, for an Echo, in setting up the second goal. Something we get to experience on the regular so it’s boss that they got their experience of World class genius.

Although different from the opening 2 games, and I think the pitch and tiredness at the end of a hard tour was the natural by-product of that, L’pool again were thoroughly deserved winners and the dominant side. Yeah, Utd had chances and both L’pool goalies made some excellent saves. But those chance’s came from mistakes born out of tired sloppiness playing out from the back. They were opportunistic that Utd couldn’t take. All part of the learning process to how Slot wants us to play. But having rode Utd’s 10/ 20 min spells, L’pool figured it out, adjusted, and played through them at will.

Let’s put it this way. L’pool, after 2 months of intense work under a new HC slightly changing the style of the last 8 and half years, look more than ready and raring to go to challenge for everything. Utd, entering year 3 under their Dutch coach, look as hap-hazard as ever with no identity at all. You can see clear strategies/ structure in our play developing game-by-game. Whereas Utd continue to look poorly coached. All effort and opportunism. With no real pattern of play at all. And as with the other two games, our youth showed they are LEVELS above Utd. Closing the game out superbly whilst constantly threatening a 4th and more.

A few player thoughts-

The two ‘newcomers’ to the party, Konate and Gravenberch, had totally contrasting outings. Konate looked really rusty and sloppy. Handing Utd a good few of those openings from mistake ridden passing and movement. Certainly leaving Sepp, who was sound again, with no worries for Ipswich. But it’s his first 45 after no time back. No concerns there.

I thought Ryan was super deeper. Just like Sobo against Arsenal. He and Curtis, who’s had an excellent tour and surely starts opening day, dovetailed well in an old school, one sits, one goes midfield 2 combo again. 2 players perfect for the roles as they are 2 of the most press-resistant lads we have who rarely give the ball away and are always looking to progress the ball forward. Super run from deep following the play from Curtis for his goal rounding out an excellent move. With Harvey blossoming more and more ahead in the 10 role.

Carvalho, although I still don’t think he has a future here personally, continues to do his chances no harm. Super feet for a really good individual first goal. But his discipline has really shone out the last 2 games. Looked lost on the left against Betis. Much more attune to what Slot wants both with and without the ball the last two games.

Both goalies have been excellent and faultless all tour. Great depth behind Alisson.

And the kids were boss yet again. Continues to fascinate me how Trey was first on again. And he looked very good again spraying it around. Bajetic came to the party last night looking the best since his return. Visibly getting stronger and fitter by the game following his long lay off. And Ben Doak is just fire. Love that little fella. Scotland have one of their best talents in decades on their hands there.

All-in-all, an excellent end to whats been an excellent tour. The best compliment I can pay Arne is that the excitement level is currently where it would be under Jurgen for the season ahead.

Pre-season excepted, City, you are placed on notice. The Reds are going NOWHERE!!!!

UTR! FTT!!!!!

Last edited: