The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
4-2-3-1 (and variations - there's overlap isn't there?) is the system adopted through the rest of the club. So you'd think that there's room to do that. However, playing that way means either Adam or Gerrard sitting out - saw that the past few games where it was Henderson behind Suarez and Spearing partnering Gerrard.

Trying to remember the other lad being spoken of - Boudebouz or something from the French leagues. Not seen anything of him but I know for a fact that we've spoken to his club. Stories of Llorente being a target last season but us not being willing to wait til the summer to get him which is why there's a bit of niggle around the Carroll signing all things considered from some sides. Then again I know for a fact that we were in prime position to sign Mata too, sooooo strange world or something. Will tell you the story about a young lad who agreed a move to one club and at the last moment changed his mind and mysteriously leaked his buyout clause to another one day.

Newcastle have done well. They took a big gamble with a lad whose knees are one turn away from ending his career and it's paid off big time. Their other gamble, Marveaux, is best mates with the club doctor. Swings and roundabouts when making those kind of punts.

See what happens in the summer for me now. Everyone's talking, no-one's really saying much. If we can scrape through the rest of the season and make up some ground on the Geordies, it's been a disappointing one for us in the league but the cups provide a large fat girl to the other side of the seesaw (metaphor courtesy of In Bruges). Fanbase needs a wake-up call (post-2005 influx aren't healthy - but at the same time these are the ones the club are hoping to milk for money for the future so have to be kept onboard) but they're so kneejerky there's not the patienec to go through (yet another) five year plan. We are turning into a mid-table team if we don't get it sorted out now because blunt facts are that there's no sugar daddy able to come in and pour billions into the club.

Looking forward to that story (have a feeling that lad is at our club?)

The player you mean is Ryad Boudebouz, of Sochaux. Talented little attacker, plays wide right, but comfortable up through the middle and the left, perfect tricky addition (if the club dont screw it up with infighting)

Mata is an interesting one. Both Liverpool and Arsenal blew opportunities to sign him.

Club needs to make a decision re: Gerrard too.

Think people shouldn't let the cups overshadow the indifferent league showing, at the end of the day, that is the meat and drink so to speak.

Agreed about the fanbase expectations, definitely need a reality check as to where the club is, and what needs to happen ( a lot) before it starts heading where they want it to be.

This will be Liverpool's biggest summer in recent times, could easily make or break the club in terms real top 4 ambitions.

Why do people suddenly rate Lucas? I would take Javi Martinez over him any day of the week.

Why do people suddenly rate Lucas? I would take Javi Martinez over him any day of the week.

Because he made massive strides in his performance and had great performances compared to when he first started. He can dictate play, and has outmuscled players like Scholes and Carrick, Essien, Drogba. I'd rate him up there (but not ahead of) players like Alonso. He's made fantastic improvements to his game. Can't see why some Liverpool fans don't rate him

Because he made massive strides in his performance and had great performances compared to when he first started. He can dictate play, and has outmuscled players like Scholes and Carrick, Essien, Drogba. I'd rate him up there (but not ahead of) players like Alonso. He's made fantastic improvements to his game. Can't see why some Liverpool fans don't rate him

Yup. His muscular side is still quite under-rated, he's surprisingly strong in that role, like Mascherano. Both small players, but ******* hard as nails. Got a fantastic leep on him too. I believe he's made more tackles this season than any other Liverpool player, still....

Yup. His muscular side is still quite under-rated, he's surprisingly strong in that role, like Mascherano. Both small players, but ******* hard as nails. Got a fantastic leep on him too. I believe he's made more tackles this season than any other Liverpool player, still....

I think what's also remarkable, is dispute all the stick he got because of when he first started, he still worked tremondously hard to improve himself when some players would've capitulated. Absolute credit to himself

Fair enough, I not seen too much of him apart from last season, never seen much of him at all at the start of this season, hope the injury he has does not effect him in the future though :)

Fair enough, I not seen too much of him apart from last season, never seen much of him at all at the start of this season, hope the injury he has does not effect him in the future though :)

I'm hoping it won't too. He's only 24/25, and even though he's playing for rivals, it would be a shame to see his career suffer due to his great progress

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, as I personally can't see it happening. But we've been linked with
Gaston Ramirez a lot recently, and 2/3 of the more reliable Liverpool sources have said it may happen, too.

He's a great player, who'd be welcome for me.

Honestly I think if Lucas returns like he was prior-injury, we don't need a back up. He hardly ever gets injured, Spearing is very adequate back up, and he's only on small wages. We'd need to concentrate more on a more creative midfielder.

Aye, but at the moment with him out, we're struggling. Think the world of little Jay because he loves the club and gives his all, yeah there's a but, but when he's put under pressure he gets himself into trouble. Problem is that if Lucas comes back as good as he was when he got injured, a replacement has to be either better or be willing to fight with a top notch player. That's why I'd take Tiote right now. Much more limited player than Lucas, but you'd see him giving options alongside a fit Lucas too.

Javi Martinez is a good shout - we were tracking him for a while under Rafa but could never afford him. Price kept going up out of the transfer budget's range - or was it the transfer budget kept doing every year? I forget now. Thought was that he seemed like a ready made replacement for Gerrard in his style of play. He's a really intelligent player. Like him a lot but can't see us affording him or him moving from Athletic just now.

Honestly don't think Aquilani or Meireles are the ones being missed right now in our midfield. Neither of them are particularly keen on doing the gritty side of the midfield work. We need our intelligent passer who can read the game and protect the back four back.

andy carroll is a good striker, he just isnt getting the right type of service, with stevie G back, i can already see some progress. but he is still yet to impress me. get another player like steven and we might have a chance for him to score becasue right now spearing and henderson and playing rubbish football. we need lucas back asap! YNWA!!

he would be a good player for us, better than spearing or henderson by a mile.

I can't believe we haven't picked up any points today. Sigh.

Aye, but at the moment with him out, we're struggling. Think the world of little Jay because he loves the club and gives his all, yeah there's a but, but when he's put under pressure he gets himself into trouble. Problem is that if Lucas comes back as good as he was when he got injured, a replacement has to be either better or be willing to fight with a top notch player. That's why I'd take Tiote right now. Much more limited player than Lucas, but you'd see him giving options alongside a fit Lucas too.

Javi Martinez is a good shout - we were tracking him for a while under Rafa but could never afford him. Price kept going up out of the transfer budget's range - or was it the transfer budget kept doing every year? I forget now. Thought was that he seemed like a ready made replacement for Gerrard in his style of play. He's a really intelligent player. Like him a lot but can't see us affording him or him moving from Athletic just now.

Honestly don't think Aquilani or Meireles are the ones being missed right now in our midfield. Neither of them are particularly keen on doing the gritty side of the midfield work. We need our intelligent passer who can read the game and protect the back four back.

Should have gone for him then, his value has only gone up (min fee is at 35, although Bilbao would sell for 30). Could he move this season, quite possibly, if Bielsa does move to another club.

Tbh, I'd think LFC would have a better chance against Newcastle with Collocini being out. Carrolls height should wreak havoc. With him doing his linkup with Suarez like they've done before should do enough to get some goals. And past few matches Suarez has shown some brilliant glimpses of what he's capable of. Though I'd hope it wouldn't tbh-as we're above Liverpool right now lol

Reina
Flannaghan Carragher Skrtel Enrique
Gerrard Spearing Shelvey
Bellamy Carroll Suarez

Good line-up, nice to see Shelvey. Shame no Coates.

Back