The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Not sure whether I want maxi to stay or not. One one hand yes because of his recent form under dalglish. But on the other hand he's on 90k a week. That's way too much for a "bit part" player.

Not sure whether I want maxi to stay or not. One one hand yes because of his recent form under dalglish. But on the other hand he's on 90k a week. That's way too much for a "bit part" player.

Hardly a bit part player at the moment.

Hardly a bit part player at the moment.

He has been most of the time since he joined though. It's only recently that he's stepped up to the plate, to but it mildly.

90k a week is an awful lot for a 30yr old player whose name isn't Pele.

Last edited:
He has been most of the time since he joined though. It's only recently that he's stepped up to the plate, to but it mildly.

90k is an awful lot.

thats nearly double Valencia's wage, a lot for a rotation player

90k a week is an awful lot for a 30yr old player whose name isn't Pele.

thats nearly double Valencia's wage, a lot for a rotation player

Yes, it is, but I think I'd rather like to question where the "90k a week" thing came from. FM, for example, says it's 55k a week. Not that I'm saying FM is a good source, it's just 90k a week seems VERY hard to believe.

Cheers lads on Phil Jones. Seems like he's fitting the profile then so can understand a bit more the interest we've been showing.

3. So our summer spending could hit £90m..alot more than i originally thought! #startdreaming (he later said this would be net spend!!!)

Just on this. Told you guys this many months ago :p Latest accounts are pointing to the same thing. What Hicks and Gillett did was force the club to be more commercially successful - it was the only way they were ever going to pay off the debts they'd placed on the club. Remove that debt from the club, and you've got a very healthy club (in most aspects) which has choices moving forward.

If I get chance, I'll go into it in more detail. But briefly, we've c.£25m surplus to spend a season now. On top of that, we're breaking even in the transfer market when in the past we've ran a negative total of c.£20m - £30m. This is without any equity coming in from owners. This is also without CL revenues and/or the new sponsorship since the 09/10 season - if the sponsorship is loaded up front, then that could well get us another £40m for this coming summer just form one deal. On top of that, before the FFP rules come in might be the best time to max out the overdraft we have to pay for transfers which could add another £10m - £20m on top of all that. (Taking some shortcuts here but as a very rough overview it's ballpark.)

Couple of problems though which need raising. Our wage bill needs trimming - or at least being kept under control. Part of the problem was that we were picking up free agents who are on higher wages than players who come with a fee because of need to massage accounts under previous owners. We've also got the issue of what happens next with stadium. It's looking very likely the Hicks plans will be scrapped very soon (accounts hint that we'll get told 'officially' within the next couple of months). What next and how to pay for it? Lots of rumours of tenders being invited for rebuilding work at Anfield. We'll see, but keep in mind that it has to be paid for in a sustainable way somehow.

Soooo... there is money there to be spent. How much exactly will depend on a few things. On the plus side, the work done on the academies under Rafa is now showing its first results - and they're ****** brilliant. This will hopefully reduce the need to bring in players to backup some positions - and arguably, some of the young lads should be first choice in and of their own right and really need someone just to cover them. I'd expect a number of older players on big contacts and/or poor injury records to be shown the door even though it will be at significant loss to the club for some of those brought in on fees.

Yes, it is, but I think I'd rather like to question where the "90k a week" thing came from. FM, for example, says it's 55k a week. Not that I'm saying FM is a good source, it's just 90k a week seems VERY hard to believe.

Hope 55k is accurate as that would be a more sustainable salary for a squad player.

Maxi was on 85k a week at Atletico. He took a paycut to come to us. Though wouldn't imagine it was a huge one.

Nice to see Peter Crouch is doing his old club some favours... Not.

Phil Jones, James McCarthy, and a top class winger (I.E Mata), and a left back (Coentrao preferably since he likes Liverpool) would be a good summer.

My ideal REALISTIC summer would see us sign Baines, Cahill, Adam, Young, Lennon and Aguero.

My IDEAL summer would have us buy Coentrao, Cahill, Alonso, Mata, Lennon and Aguero. Can't see it though :S :(

Any ideas on who to sign lads ? first season as Liverpool. Thanks

Id go for Eden Hazard and a good young CB. That will get a top 4 finish in season one and you can strenghten the next season then.
This is only IRL though not FM discussion

Hope 55k is accurate as that would be a more sustainable salary for a squad player.

I cant see it being 55k as he was on about 75k a week at Atletico tax free so i imagine it is somewhere around the 90k a week. Thats why i think he should be sold on as we realy need to slash the wage budget and his chances will be limited next season.

Maxi was on 85k a week at Atletico. He took a paycut to come to us. Though wouldn't imagine it was a huge one.

That was tax free though in Spain zeb. And i imagine there was a seasonal increment every year aswell...

My ideal REALISTIC summer would see us sign Baines, Cahill, Adam, Young, Lennon and Aguero.

My IDEAL summer would have us buy Coentrao, Cahill, Alonso, Mata, Lennon and Aguero. Can't see it though :S :(

Wouldn't expect Lennon or Aguero. I mean Aguero's a Liverpool fan, but the only way we'd use him is if Suarez reverted a left winger and Aguero went up top with Carroll.

Wouldn't expect Lennon or Aguero. I mean Aguero's a Liverpool fan, but the only way we'd use him is if Suarez reverted a left winger and Aguero went up top with Carroll.

It's all about depth. Look at Arsenal with Chamakh on the bench, United with Berbatov, Chelsea with Anelka, City with Dzeko/Balotelli. We need options, Aguero would give us that :)

We're looking on track for the Europa League & probable utter derailment for the Champions League.

Sheikh City 1 The Spuds 0 - HT

That was tax free though in Spain zeb. And i imagine there was a seasonal increment every year aswell...

Aye, but we needed to shift two players out to cover his wages, so I can't see him being on too much less as far as the club is concerned (his end wage may be less, but club'll still be paying out).

It's all about depth. Look at Arsenal with Chamakh on the bench, United with Berbatov, Chelsea with Anelka, City with Dzeko/Balotelli. We need options, Aguero would give us that :)

aguero isnt an option, he's first team, and he isn't one to be happy on the bench, certainly when there is no CL involved, and that is what he wants more than anything. He's already said he wont leave this summer too

aguero isnt an option, he's first team, and he isn't one to be happy on the bench, certainly when there is no CL involved, and that is what he wants more than anything. He's already said he wont leave this summer too

If aguero was signed he wouldnt be on the bench IMO they would work a 3 man attack with suarez floating like he does..
and although he wants CL football i think him being a fan, friends already at liverpool and the bright future would be enough to lure him
also i wouldnt read too much into he said he wants to stay... the amount of players that say that and leave is huge..

Cheers for nipping that in the bud.

He would also be on double the wages of Gerrard an probably take up more than half our budget. Striker isn't priority not yet anyway.

If we're to get another striker, I'd rather look for a quick poacher type striker (Hernandez mold) who wouldn't take up tons of wages, young and eager to learn.

Back