The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Leave Bale alone please. ;)

I'll place a bet (will put £10 to SOS Children's Villages if I'm wrong) that Spurs will sell at least one player this summer with a low book value in order to generate a book profit to cover the loss of CL revenue.

----

Mike - not sure. It's very 'packaged' as a leak isn't it? Interesting Downing's name is coming up. Ballague is adamant we're after Valencia's Mata too. Interesting times - especially if it's true that neither us nor you lot are willing to bid Young's price up and it seems to be all about personal terms. Not convinced by Young, though can see how he'd fit into the team - but you'd think genuine bit of width on the left (and the ability to put a good ball in the box either early or from the byline) would be a critical position for at least a squad player for next season.

Mike - not sure. It's very 'packaged' as a leak isn't it? Interesting Downing's name is coming up. Ballague is adamant we're after Valencia's Mata too. Interesting times - especially if it's true that neither us nor you lot are willing to bid Young's price up and it seems to be all about personal terms. Not convinced by Young, though can see how he'd fit into the team - but you'd think genuine bit of width on the left (and the ability to put a good ball in the box either early or from the byline) would be a critical position for at least a squad player for next season.

Has Ballague still got contacts inside L'pool these days?

I'll place a bet (will put £10 to SOS Children's Villages if I'm wrong) that Spurs will sell at least one player this summer with a low book value in order to generate a book profit to cover the loss of CL revenue.

----

It could be a red herring to get United to increase their bid, im 90% sure that it was him that was the player we missed out on in jan. Personally not quite sure what he would bring to either side, especially liverpool. I'd have though a genuine left winger would be the priority, Downing rather than Young; still distinct lack of width in the side.

---------- Post added at 03:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 AM ----------

From what I can tell i think so, and Mata would make a **** of a lot more sense as a signing, Valencia are CL bound though, but they are still very financially shaky

From what I can tell i think so, and Mata would make a **** of a lot more sense as a signing, Valencia are CL bound though, but they are still very financially shaky

I would like to see Mata in England, he's a great player, and he can't go any higher with Valencia right now. Would be a **** of a signing for Liverpool.

Would imagine it's most likely to be coming from Valencia as they try to ramp up price for a player they need to sell in order to keep afloat in the short term. Would be a good signing for us, but not at the price he'd be if there's a bidding war.

----

Mike - odd that Ged didn't name you lot when he went on about us trying to sign Young. Know that Spurs put in a bid for him - along with about a dozen other players - just before window closed and that was laughed off because it was less a bid than a PR stunt. Can see why you lot would be interested at a reasonable price - same for us. Just not sure he is as good as people make him out to be or as the raw goals/assists would indicate. Pigeon chaser of a player whenever I've really watched him play. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Would imagine it's most likely to be coming from Valencia as they try to ramp up price for a player they need to sell in order to keep afloat in the short term. Would be a good signing for us, but not at the price he'd be if there's a bidding war.

----

Mike - odd that Ged didn't name you lot when he went on about us trying to sign Young. Know that Spurs put in a bid for him - along with about a dozen other players - just before window closed and that was laughed off because it was less a bid than a PR stunt. Can see why you lot would be interested at a reasonable price - same for us. Just not sure he is as good as people make him out to be or as the raw goals/assists would indicate. Pigeon chaser of a player whenever I've really watched him play. Maybe I'm missing something though.

Not a fan, for someone who has the assets to be a real force for a team, he is actually quite a selfish player. Maybe he needs to be in a bigger team to realise he's not the sole star man i dunno, but not my cup of tea.

We're supposed to go back in for him this summer, perhaps we weren't mentioned because we wanted it to go through quietly with a minimum of a bidding war, which could explain the story making it very public that Liverpool are chasing him.

---------- Post added at 04:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

I dont want us to get into a bidding war over him, we need a central playmaker much more, and if we really are gunning for Sneijder, its going to be costly

Not a fan, for someone who has the assets to be a real force for a team, he is actually quite a selfish player. Maybe he needs to be in a bigger team to realise he's not the sole star man i dunno, but not my cup of tea.

We're supposed to go back in for him this summer, perhaps we weren't mentioned because we wanted it to go through quietly with a minimum of a bidding war, which could explain the story making it very public that Liverpool are chasing him.

---------- Post added at 04:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 AM ----------

I dont want us to get into a bidding war over him, we need a central playmaker much more, and if we really are gunning for Sneijder, its going to be costly

Comolli recently stated that he places great emphasis on a player's game stats as well as his injury record when persuing targets; wide midfielders would come under scrutiny re crosses made, dribbles made, pass completion & goal assists. If a player was expected to join the forwards in certain formations, eg 4-3-3, then goals scored would also be a factor. Hopefully the fact that a player is merely English or is able to play in certain positions, or just happens to be available does not overide such criteria; that would certainly not be a step in the right direction for us.

I remember seeing this too. And Comolli said this would ensure that we didnt land any more flops like we have for the past decade. Even Godcubed doesnt rate Young highly and he would be happy to see him go for 15M+. Its common knowledge that Youngs leaving in the summer. Maybe his agent came out with this story to generate more interest in him? Realy hope it isnt true as i dont like Young as a footballer. Give me Mata anyday :D

Not sure why everyone is talking about aguero. We need to strengthen alot of other positions before striker. Besides, we've scored in every game under dalglish so would we even need him?

And as for depth, if we bought 2 natural wingers as planned, that would leave us with kuyt as backup to suarez and carroll, which would work great.

Not sure why everyone is talking about aguero. We need to strengthen alot of other positions before striker. Besides, we've scored in every game under dalglish so would we even need him?

And as for depth, if we bought 2 natural wingers as planned, that would leave us with kuyt as backup to suarez and carroll, which would work great.

Agree totally: another striker would be last on my list of new recriuts, after: LB/LW/CB/CM/RW. Getting Aguero would be great, but we've other priororitories that must come first.

Mata > Young.

I know, I know they're different types of player but Mata is not only the better overall left-winger, but he possesses what we need much more than young. The only other real interest for Mata that I know of is from Inter and City, I believe United have also shown minor interest. If we can get in quickly and agree a fee, he'd be a great signing.

I remember seeing this too. And Comolli said this would ensure that we didnt land any more flops like we have for the past decade. Even Godcubed doesnt rate Young highly and he would be happy to see him go for 15M+. Its common knowledge that Youngs leaving in the summer. Maybe his agent came out with this story to generate more interest in him? Realy hope it isnt true as i dont like Young as a footballer. Give me Mata anyday :D

I rate him fairly highly on his day, but:

Mata > Young.

Without any shadow of a doubt.

I think the majoritory of knowledgeble fans would choose Mata over Young but very strong rumours say that Kenny has got his heart set on the latter - perhaps because he's English & can operate as a forward too. I can't see us getting both of them in as they'd be getting in each other's way in the same lineup & presumably they'd be recruited as first teamers.

Not sure about Young. He's good, no doubt about that. But... We need real quality players, like mentioned above > Mata.

Might put one of those squad analysis thing, like CJACKO done on the Chelsea thread soon. Just for ***** and giggles.

Might put one of those squad analysis thing, like CJACKO done on the Chelsea thread soon. Just for ***** and giggles.

Yeah it would be interesting to see alright. :)

---------- Post added 12/05/2011 at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was 11/05/2011 at 10:07 PM ----------

Great news to see Kenny and Steve Clarke sign their 3 year contracts today. I know most expected it but at least it will end any other speculation about the matter. The futures looking bright :)

More good news as QPR have been linked with Joe Cole,would be great to get him off the wage bill. Would be nice to see Taarabt come in our direction too :)

Yeah it would be interesting to see alright. :)

---------- Post added 12/05/2011 at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was 11/05/2011 at 10:07 PM ----------

Great news to see Kenny and Steve Clarke sign their 3 year contracts today. I know most expected it but at least it will end any other speculation about the matter. The futures looking bright :)

More good news as QPR have been linked with Joe Cole,would be great to get him off the wage bill. Would be nice to see Taarabt come in our direction too :)

I wouldn't take Taarabt if I were you. He needs to be handled with baby mittens. Warnock had to make him captain and allow him free reign of just about anywhere in the attacking third to get consistently good performances out of him. His attitude is a bit dodgy, really.

Back