The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
But it was Suarez so he clearly dived.

Much as I agree in principle, I think the theory of reaping what you sow somewhat applies here. If Suarez didn't have a very well earned reputation for diving, then perhaps that clear penalty would've gone his way. I'm an advocate of refs making decisions on what is in front of them rather than reputation, but it's hardly surprising the opposite is happening given Suarez's ongoing attempts to cheat - and it is cheating, let's not beat around the bush here - the ref and his opponents.

What the **** has happened to Reina? ): - I hope we stick with him though, on top form he's one of the best keepers around. Besides, the defence has been absolutely gash this season (apart from Johnson).. I'm sure Reina will pick himself back up, hopefully Skrtel will, too!

No contact.

Not sure about that. However, a karate chop is a perfectly acceptable challenge in the Premier League.. Apparently.

Liverpool, City, Man United are conceding way too many goals for top clubs! well most club besides Chelsea have at least a 50% goals scored to goals conceded ratio! Chelsea have scored 11 conceded 3, the only other team that just beats the 50% marker is Arsenal at like 45%

Pool played well on Saturday, still need to keep those goals out though! it would have been and looked better at 5:1

I hate Suarez but he is a quality player no doubt! It will take at least 15 games for Pool to hit their stride with Rogers approach, it will take time and it seems like the fans and board are allowing the transition phase to transpire, even if it takes the entire season and Pool only come in at 9th or something.. which I wholeheartedly support, even though I am not a Pool fan!

Liverpool have some very impressive youth, Suso, Pacheco, Sterling and Robinson have been rather impressive in their performances as of late. Definately a good omen for Liverpool's future (hopefully) first team regulars.

we've had quality young players for ages, but they've never been given too much of a chance until now. Finally, we have so much quality young players. There's a few I expect to be regulars in a few years, like Sterling, Suso and Robinson. But to be honest any of them could surprise me.
Suso looks like a young David Silva-type of player, no surprise Real Madrid wanted to sign him a few years ago. Also, contract negotiations ongoing for Suso.

Much as I agree in principle, I think the theory of reaping what you sow somewhat applies here. If Suarez didn't have a very well earned reputation for diving, then perhaps that clear penalty would've gone his way. I'm an advocate of refs making decisions on what is in front of them rather than reputation, but it's hardly surprising the opposite is happening given Suarez's ongoing attempts to cheat - and it is cheating, let's not beat around the bush here - the ref and his opponents.

Indeed, and its not as if he has stopped cheating and is still getting pinged, he actually hasnt stopped diving, not too sure now he or the club can feel too aggrieved, it goes both ways.

Indeed, and its not as if he has stopped cheating and is still getting pinged, he actually hasnt stopped diving, not too sure now he or the club can feel too aggrieved, it goes both ways.

In your opinion. Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that he has been turned down a penalty in the past three matches, despite them being clear penalties.

In your opinion. Anyway, that doesn't change the fact that he has been turned down a penalty in the past three matches, despite them being clear penalties.

Yes, my opinion, based on the laws of the game and what they constitute as a penalty and what they deem as simulation/dive whatever you want to call it.

one was a clear pen, one looked soft but have been given, and one was a dive(just because there is contact doesnt equal a foul, throwing yourself to the ground after minimal contact, is still a dive, despite what pundits say abour going to ground because they felt something, thats not accomodated in the laws of the game). He's been unlucky, but you reap what you sow.

Last edited:
Yes, my opinion, based on the laws of the game and what they constitute as a penalty and what they deem as simulation/dive whatever you want to call it.

one was a clear pen, one looked soft but have been given, and one was a dive(just because there is contact doesnt equal a foul, throwing yourself to the ground after minimal contact, is still a dive, despite what pundits say abour going to ground because they felt something, thats not accomodated in the laws of the game). He's been unlucky, but you reap what you sow.

A foul is a foul. Yes it's a contact sport, but it doesn't mean you can kick someone 'lightly' and get away with it.

I couldn't help but laugh at the baldy dude (don't know his name) who ran after the ref shouting dive after he karate elbow'd suarez!!

A foul is a foul. Yes it's a contact sport, but it doesn't mean you can kick someone 'lightly' and get away with it.

I couldn't help but laugh at the baldy dude (don't know his name) who ran after the ref shouting dive after he karate elbow'd suarez!!

You've missed the point . Never disputed a foul is a foul, what i said was contact isn't always a foul. There is a big difference. There is no such thing as being entitled to go down because there is contact under the rules, far too many players, and its not just Suarez, not by a long way, are guilty of this. If there is contact, but you haven't actually been tripped, or impeded in a manner that is a described as a foul in the laws of the game, but you decide to go down, that is a dive.

So any contact = a foul? Were you saying that when there was minimal contact between Agger and Berbatov a few years ago and we got a penalty?

You've missed the point . Never disputed a foul is a foul, what i said was contact isn't always a foul. There is a big difference. There is no such thing as being entitled to go down because there is contact under the rules, far too many players, and its not just Suarez, not by a long way, are guilty of this. If there is contact, but you haven't actually been tripped, or impeded in a manner that is a described as a foul in the laws of the game, but you decide to go down, that is a dive.

Very true. I remember last season when Drenthe and Jelavic started doing it. Drove me up the wall. It was just embarassing to see talented players resorting to cheating like that

Very true. I remember last season when Drenthe and Jelavic started doing it. Drove me up the wall. It was just embarassing to see talented players resorting to cheating like that

Ashley Young is doing it, and now Welbeck it seems, and its doing my head in. And they cant have any complaints the next time its and actual penalty and it goes against them, think its happened to Welbeck already. Refs are human, they have to make instant decisions, and if something isnt clear cut, and they think you have a reputation for conning them, it will go against you.

Ashley Young is doing it, and now Welbeck it seems, and its doing my head in. And they cant have any complaints the next time its and actual penalty and it goes against them, think its happened to Welbeck already. Refs are human, they have to make instant decisions, and if something isnt clear cut, and they think you have a reputation for conning them, it will go against you.

Ronaldo didn't get many decisions earlier in his career and even in 2006-08 seasons, Nani didn't get decisions and I'm sure Young and Welbeck won't get too if they don't sort it out. Young was know for it but very disappointing to see Welbeck going down easily as he was very honest player.

What particularly frustrates me is when players throw themselves to the ground like they have been shor from the most minimal amount of contact.

Back