The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
From reading this debate on Suarez diving, the one thing I've really got from it, is how much I admire British football fans in being so adamant about fair play. In Italy (and obviously lots of other countries including those in South America), your seen as being very clever if you can trick the referee into awarding a favourable decision for your side, and it's the defenders fault for allowing the referee to be conned. It's commonplace for a commentator to praise a player for winning a decision with use of gamesmanship (a penalty for example) rather than reprimanding him. Much prefer the British ideas on fair play.

It's just the culture here, I suppose. Perhaps it has roots in our more physical, 'manly' grounding of the game, where if you dived you were widely reviled for not only cheating, but also being a bit of a pansy.

Unfortunately, this culture also led to our nation-wise distrust of passing. :P

It's just the culture here, I suppose. Perhaps it has roots in our more physical, 'manly' grounding of the game, where if you dived you were widely reviled for not only cheating, but also being a bit of a pansy.

Unfortunately, this culture also led to our nation-wise distrust of passing. :P

Lol, yes that may be it.

In Italian culture cheating and corruption goes on so much, it is always expected in every walk of life, from government to football, and thus everything is analysed with this in mind.

Dear diary, today Suarez got stamped on the chest by Shawcross, with no punishment.

Typical day in a Liverpool shirt.

Dear diary, today Suarez got stamped on the chest by Shawcross, with no punishment.

Typical day in a Liverpool shirt.

He also dived twice. Come on, be at least a bit impartial. Stoke should have been down to 9 mine.

Dear diary,

I saw liverpool hit the post. Again. And again.

Typical day watching Liverpool!

Dear diary,

I saw liverpool hit the post. Again. And again.

Typical day watching Liverpool!

FSG will have to put money into the club. Because you have to sign a clinical forward in january.

FSG will have to put money into the club. Because you have to sign a clinical forward in january.

Or put Borini up front and see how he does. I'm still mystified about the way Rogers is to trying to play him out wide, it just doesn't work.

Or put Borini up front and see how he does. I'm still mystified about the way Rogers is to trying to play him out wide, it just doesn't work.

He's played through the middle a few times.

He's played through the middle a few times.

Needs a consistent run there, and let Suarez isolate the full back one on one from out wide. Better fit than the other way round.

Gerrard was unconvincing again.

He's not doing himself any favours whatsoever

The only people he is punishing is the Liverpool fans because when he is not given a stone wall penalty it may cost Liverpool 3 points which will harm their league position at the end of the season.

The only people he is punishing is the Liverpool fans because when he is not given a stone wall penalty it may cost Liverpool 3 points which will harm their league position at the end of the season.

Not defending the dive, but, I seen this on Reddit, thought I'd just repost it.

For the context here: I don't condone this, and I really wish he would cut this **** out, but...
He had been bullied mercilessly by stoke the rest of the game, rarely any decisions which should of been given to him, he has the crowd on his side (of course), everyone feeling sorry for him and then...
He pulls that and he goes from being the victim to suddenly being the aggressor. It annoys me and I am annoyed with Suarez, because without that one dive, he was completely the one hard done by, he still is, but instead of/r/soccer[1] talking about how once again Suarez get shafted, all they'll talk about is Suarez diving again, it'll be replayed mercilessly in highlights, talked about on pundit websites, and once again people will forget that Suarez gets shat on by referees much more than he gets decisions for him.
Where's the footage of Huth stomping on a Liverpool player? (disregard that, it's there, but I'll bet it won't be there as long as Suarez's dive), The rugby tackles? Studs up challenges? They're not there because of this obsession with catching Suarez with his pants down.
He's got himself to blame, it's ridiculous his theatrics.. and ultimately it leads to him getting shafted further, and liverpool fans being shafted as refs just don't trust him.
But it's still not just, as there are plenty of other players who do the same.

tl;dr, diving is wrong, it's bad when Suarez does it, but after being stamped on, elbowed, etc, you'd be a better man than I to get a bit miffed.

Anyway, not the best performance, I actually missed the match with the worlds worst hangover but I caught most of it from my vegetative state. all talk of transitions etc are pointless until we replace the striker we lost 2 years ago. But we won't, I know we won't. We'll probably sign a striker, sure, but he won't be a 30 goal guy, he'll be another 10 at most, or something because Rodgers has this idea of not depending completely on one player, even though that's what we do with Suarez.

also Gerrard would be on the bench if he wasn't the name he is.

Suarez shouldn't dive, but then again he gets fouled and nothing is given, he stays on his feet and nothing is given, he dives and nothing is given..

Im sorry but he built his own reputation but the amount of decisions he doesnt get is ridiculous Stoke just tried to kick him out the game today

For the context here: I don't condone this, and I really wish he would cut this **** out, but...
He had been bullied mercilessly by stoke the rest of the game, rarely any decisions which should of been given to him, he has the crowd on his side (of course), everyone feeling sorry for him and then...
He pulls that and he goes from being the victim to suddenly being the aggressor. It annoys me and I am annoyed with Suarez, because without that one dive, he was completely the one hard done by, he still is, but instead of/r/soccer[1] talking about how once again Suarez get shafted, all they'll talk about is Suarez diving again, it'll be replayed mercilessly in highlights, talked about on pundit websites, and once again people will forget that Suarez gets shat on by referees much more than he gets decisions for him.
Where's the footage of Huth stomping on a Liverpool player? (disregard that, it's there, but I'll bet it won't be there as long as Suarez's dive), The rugby tackles? Studs up challenges? They're not there because of this obsession with catching Suarez with his pants down.
He's got himself to blame, it's ridiculous his theatrics.. and ultimately it leads to him getting shafted further, and liverpool fans being shafted as refs just don't trust him.

tl;dr, diving is wrong, it's bad when Suarez does it, but after being stamped on, elbowed, etc, you'd be a better man than I to get a bit miffed.

Plenty of other players? Are there really? The whole reason why everyone's shafting him for it is because there AREN'T that many other players doing it, and certainly not with the regularity Suarez goes down.

The difference between Suarez and other players is that when they get a 'bit miffed', they just knuckle down and deal with it. Few others feel the need to playact so petulantly.

Anyway, not the best performance, I actually missed the match with the worlds worst hangover but I caught most of it from my vegetative state. all talk of transitions etc are pointless until we replace the striker we lost 2 years ago. But we won't, I know we won't. We'll probably sign a striker, sure, but he won't be a 30 goal guy, he'll be another 10 at most, or something because Rodgers has this idea of not depending completely on one player, even though that's what we do with Suarez.

also Gerrard would be on the bench if he wasn't the name he is.

To be fair, a lot of what I was following was (rightly so) pointing out that Stoke came out with an agenda, and not just with Suarez, they were filth today, and the good thing about Huth not getting carded is that it can be looked at again and hopefully given a 3 game ban. That said, Rodgers needs to have a strong word with him, because there have been decisions going against when they should have been given, but when you have that rep, in a close call, the ref will err the other way.

But Stoke today were a disgrace, sadly the MOTD pundits usually love Pulis and it may not get pulled up.

Suarez needs to clean his rep, and while doing so, he may not get the calls even when right for a while, but he will benefit in the long run, we had the same thing with Ronaldo and Nani.

Also i hope Bale gets plenty of flak, because that was an absolute shocker of a dive.

This is why I'm not entirely happy about Shawcross being picked for England. Excellent defender-but if he takes some of Stokes style to the international pitch he won't last 5 minutes with the refs

This is why I'm not entirely happy about Shawcross being picked for England. Excellent defender-but if he takes some of Stokes style to the international pitch he won't last 5 minutes with the refs

Either that or he'll put the fear of god into the opposition. Or both. But it'd certainly be a lot of fun if he ever gets to play against, say, Robben. I don't think the dutchman will want to get anywhere near him...

Just seen it again, and yes it was a dive and a poor attempt at that,

But, this is also partly due to him getting no decisions what so ever, he now has to make it look a foul and over exagerate for it even to be considered which is wrong, a player gets a reputation but in certain circumstances Suarez has been given absolutely nothing for a while now

Also, again im not defending, but the amount of players that dive, Bale is a perfect example today, nothing is said, Suarez does something and its a massive witch hunt

Back