The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
With his wages is it worth it. Who else is there out there that would pay more?

If Henderson's wanted for twenty million, he should be about 30/40 then! I dunno, but 13/4 million, other wise he can stay and be a very good squad player.

Personally, I would sell:

Jones
Kyrgiakos
Agger (If a GOOD bid comes in)
Konchesky
Insua
Degen
Ayala
Darby
Irwin
El Zhar
Cole
Aquiliani
Poulsen
Jovanovic
Eccleston
Ince
Ngog

Ayala? One of the most promising defenders we've soon in some time?! =O
Pretty much agree with the rest though. But Soto/Insua's contracts are up anyhoo.
Oh, and we shouldn't sell N'gog if we're not going to replace him.

With his wages is it worth it. Who else is there out there that would pay more?

No, Milan dont want or need him, same for Inter. Juve is only one of the italian clubs which can pay his wages so they are most likely your only chance.

No, Milan dont want or need him, same for Inter. Juve is only one of the italian clubs which can pay his wages so they are most likely your only chance.

But he is a fine midfielder, as good as Meireles, therefore it'd be easier to just keep him. He's hardly dead wood, just another option which we can cash in on, or use for next season. It'd keep us from spending an extra 10/20m on a midfielder or 2. :)

Guardian article

Jova's actually on less than Cole. Cole has a large number of escalating bonus clauses in his contract which takes him well, well, beyond 100k a week when they're factored in. The loyalty ones for, erm, not asking for a transfer are particularly galling. Plus he had a lump sum signing on fee.

Aquilani is on a fair whack too (80k a week).

It's going to be a real pain to shift on the Hodgson four although Jova will likely draw interest from a number of clubs on the continent. He's had bad luck with injury and just not getting settled in or played in a position which suits him. Think he's a decent player but it's not worked out for him and is unlikely to now.

Oh and a fun fact - the wage bill of £121m doesn't include Hodgson's signings or Jova...

I believe the Jovanovic figure factors in his sign on fee also.

But he is a fine midfielder, as good as Meireles, therefore it'd be easier to just keep him. He's hardly dead wood, just another option which we can cash in on, or use for next season. It'd keep us from spending an extra 10/20m on a midfielder or 2. :)

Yes he's worth more than that 6m offered by Juve. I'd give him a proper season in Prem to see how he copes. Hopefully he stay fit.

Few snipits from Twitter here;
Newcastle fail in last bid to keep Enrique. (rejects contract)
Liverpool have made 10 million pound bid for N'Zogbia

---------- Post added at 10:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Liverpool’s pursuit of the best available young English players has led to an offer of almost £8 million being lodged with Ipswich Town for Connor Wickham. The club are also stepping up their attempt to sign Jordan Henderson, the Sunderland midfield player.

Wickham, who scored nine goals last season, is valued at £10 million by Ipswich and the 18-year-old centre forward has also been targeted by Tottenham Hotspur. However, Liverpool are confident that the opportunity to become part of an array of attacking talent that includes Luis Suárez and Andy Carroll will convince Wickham that his future lies at Anfield rather than White Hart Lane.

Damien Comolli, Liverpool’s director of football, watched Wickham on several occasions last season and is understood to have been impressed by his all-round game, regarding the England Under-21 international as a potential star of the future.

Although their opening offer is likely to be rejected by Ipswich, Liverpool are hopeful that a compromise fee can be reached that will suit both clubs.

Liverpool’s transfer strategy this summer is built on a determination to sign players for the future who can also play an immediate part in Kenny Dalglish’s squad. The desire to lower the average age of the club’s playing staff is derived from the ambition of John W. Henry, Liverpool’s principal owner, to oversee the creation of a team who can challenge for leading honours for years to come, rather than just in the coming season.

The Merseyside club’s transfer targets will be predominantly drawn from players under the age of 26. There will be exceptions to the rule under certain circumstances, but the long-term strategy is built around constructing a young, vibrant squad that is capable of playing fast flowing, attacking football.

No deal has yet been struck between Liverpool and Sunderland for Henderson, but the Anfield club are looking for a fee to be agreed before the 20-year-old goes to Denmark with the England Under-21 squad next Wednesday for the European Championship.

Neither Liverpool nor Sunderland would confirm whether an offer has been made for the player, but talks have taken place in which the North East club have made it clear that they would not accept the £15 million offer that Comolli was hoping would be sufficient to secure the transfer.

It is thought that Steve Bruce, the Sunderland manager, is holding out for about £18 million for Henderson, who has attracted interest from Manchester United and Manchester City over the past 12 months. Liverpool are unlikely to meet that price, but are believed to be ready to return with a bid in the region of £16 million as they continue with their recruitment plans for the coming season.

As revealed in April, Phil Jones, the Blackburn Rovers central defender, is another target for Liverpool, who are expecting a busy summer in the transfer market, according to Comolli.

Steve Kean, the Blackburn manager, warned Jones this week that he may struggle to secure a first-team place at a top Barclays Premier League club, but the defender is thought to have set his heart on a move away from Ewood Park.

Liverpool face competition from Arsenal for Jones, with Arsène Wenger, the North London club’s manager, eager to build his defence around the 19-year-old England Under-21 international and Thomas Vermaelen, the Belgium centre back whose long-term absence with an Achilles tendon injury was keenly felt last season.

Blackburn also face a battle to keep Christopher Samba, with Tottenham interested in the defender.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/premierleague/article3050209.ece

we seem to have made alot of "bids" according to the media :P

For each position we make 1st, 2nd & 3rd choice option offers; if unfortunately we can't get the main target, we have fall backs to persue. We may have as much as 15 players in negotiations at present.

Makes sense when you think about it.

#LFC have bid £8m for Connor Wickham, want Henderson deal done before Wed and hope to beat Arsenal to Phil Jones http://thetim.es/kdoli7

---------- Post added at 11:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

so a lot of activity right now, talks with Aguero reps at the end of the month. Mata's interested in us, and wants to join. Comolli working hard on Henderson and Downing talks.

On the one hand, I'm both surprised and glad to see Liverpool getting back on their feet. Thought nothing could save them this season, but Kenny and FSG have turned things around completely, and the way you're building up for next season is sort of scary. On the other hand, I'm well and truly gutted since I like Everton and we're gonna stand no chance next season if you sign half the people you're trying to sign.

Surely Gerrard is not going to be happy with Aguero being paid more than him (If he did join us..) and tbf I don't blame him, which is why I can't really see Aguero joining Liverpool, although my God if he did :P

Signing Henderson and Jones is pretty **** good business, Wickham is also a very good prospect but I'd only really want him if it meant N'Gog left the club.

What's going on with the Adam deal, I thought it was done weeks ago but still nothing, have United taken an interest?

I'm unsure about Wickham, he's not a goal scorer (yet), and I've not seen enough to judge him. But now tons of sites are coming out about us bidding for him.
The way it's going
Enrique
Mata
Wickham
Henderson
Phil Jones

Looks a possible summer.

Surely Gerrard is not going to be happy with Aguero being paid more than him (If he did join us..) and tbf I don't blame him, which is why I can't really see Aguero joining Liverpool, although my God if he did :P

Signing Henderson and Jones is pretty **** good business, Wickham is also a very good prospect but I'd only really want him if it meant N'Gog left the club.

What's going on with the Adam deal, I thought it was done weeks ago but still nothing, have United taken an interest?

United arent particularly interested, way down the list despite what the media say. Much more focused on Luka Modric or Sneijder, though the former is the priority target. The likes of Defour are also ahead in the list

Cant see the aguero transfer happening in any way, simply becuase it doesnt make sense as a signing. Phil jones would be a cracking buy

I'm unsure about Wickham, he's not a goal scorer (yet), and I've not seen enough to judge him. But now tons of sites are coming out about us bidding for him.
The way it's going
Enrique
Mata
Wickham
Henderson
Phil Jones

I must say that Juan Manuel Mata would be a fantastic signing, and Phil Jones
Looks a possible summer.

From what I understand though, Aguero himself has said himself he wants to join Real Madrid. Shame. Would've been great to see him in the premiership

Back