The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
I said it last year that Newcastle were massively overachieving, and its proven this season

However, it seems that last season may ultimately cost Pardew his job.. I'm sure when he first joined the club a mid table finish would have been the standards accepted for the Toon

Do actually feel sorry for Pardew, he has done a good job

I said it last year that Newcastle were massively overachieving, and its proven this season

However, it seems that last season may ultimately cost Pardew his job.. I'm sure when he first joined the club a mid table finish would have been the standards accepted for the Toon

Do actually feel sorry for Pardew, he has done a good job

I wouldn't say they overachieved. Their squad is very good. I would have imagined them fighting for top 4 this season as well. I think it was the French revolution that they introduced that has ultimately hurt them. It doesn't help that they had injuries but Pardew is really the one to blame. He didn't strengthen last offseason like he should have.

I wouldn't say they overachieved. Their squad is very good. I would have imagined them fighting for top 4 this season as well. I think it was the French revolution that they introduced that has ultimately hurt them. It doesn't help that they had injuries but Pardew is really the one to blame. He didn't strengthen last offseason like he should have.

Sorry but they definitely overachieved last season. Their squad was ok but so many results went their way. Every time something important that was linked to winning games was statistically analysed Newcastle were the one anomaly sitting towards the top of the table and at the time the majority of people said they would regress back to their mean next season. Which they have.

The main reason they did so well last season isn't because they played fantastic football, or dominated games, it's because their strikers were extremely clinical and other teams just couldn't seem to score enough goals past them despite all their efforts.

Agreed. Demb Ba carried them through the first half of the season. As soon as he started to tail off, Papis Cisse came in and carried them through the second half. The rate at which those two were scoring last season was never going to be sustainable. Pardew also did not strengthen last summer like he should have.

Frankly, I feel the position they are at now is still below what their squad is capable of achieving but not entirely unexpected

Without Cabaye, Newcastle are a lower midtable side. Plus they don't have a decent strike partnership, they have one guy who had a 1/2 season wonder.

There's nothing wrong with scoring sweaty goals, the work was put in to get into those positions.

Exactly what I thought. The Sturridge at Chelsea would've tried to beat the keeper there.

Probably missed too. His biggets weakness was always his decision making, but that's starting to improve, still got a long way to go though. Would like to see him lead the England line in a friendly, Rooney behind, Welbeck on the left flank.

also shows personal growth from Sturridge to recognise Henderson was in a better position

Exactly!

What everyone needs to remember is that liverpools front line is like 23 average age? They did very well against an experiences defense.

Really like Henderson this season also. He has progressed ALOT in just one season... seems a very good squad player now

This is random.. But I really hope we don't get rid of Spearing, would be great to see him back here next year!

Probably missed too. His biggets weakness was always his decision making, but that's starting to improve, still got a long way to go though. Would like to see him lead the England line in a friendly, Rooney behind, Welbeck on the left flank.

Let's not forget about Henderson, he deserves a chance in the squad too. All the people laughing hysterically over him signing for us have gone awkwardly silent... I like it. (;

Exactly!

What everyone needs to remember is that liverpools front line is like 23 average age? They did very well against an experiences defense.

Tbf, we have one of the youngest squads in the league. Pretty sure there's one, maybe two teams with a younger average age.

This is random.. But I really hope we don't get rid of Spearing, would be great to see him back here next year!

Let's not forget about Henderson, he deserves a chance in the squad too. All the people laughing hysterically over him signing for us have gone awkwardly silent... I like it. (;

Tbf, we have one of the youngest squads in the league. Pretty sure there's one, maybe two teams with a younger average age.

They've gone silent because they're forgotten about him. £20m, he is just about starting to what is expected, lets not go overboard here.

Still easily good enough for our incredibly average England squad.

No.. I like him ):

Certainly not ahead of Carrick, or Gerrard, or Rooney/Osman/Wilshere. Finishes better than Cleverley, but yet to have his metronomic pass and move accuracy.

Really like Henderson this season also. He has progressed ALOT in just one season... seems a very good squad player now

His primary attribute is still his ability to run a lot, but that's no bad thing. Every good squad needs a player that puts a shift in. Could be the next Dirk Kuyt.

Still easily good enough for our incredibly average England squad.

Bold statement. Ahead of whom? I don't see him being better than any single one of our current crop of central midfielders, and the utility midfielder spot is taken up by Milner, one of the best in the world at 'doing a job'.

Back