The Liverpool Thread

1653147092687.png

Just seen Richarlison's tweet. Sit down mate, you have less Champions League medals than Djimi Traore :LOL:

32 years since I last saw L’pool lift a league title in person.

God willing, that changes today.

I fully expect City to win. But whilst theres points on the board and games to be played, you have to believe. Live in hope. Die in despair.

Last day pressure is a funny thing …..

I’ve seen L’pool throw the league away when all Johnny Barnes had to do was stay by the corner flag against Arsenal ……Not strictly last day, but I’ve seen L’pool beat Utd to hand Leeds the League when Utd were a FAR better side than Liverpool ….. I’ve seen L’pool beat Blackburn on the last day, only to find Utd had failed to beat West Ham so Blackburn and Kenny still won the league regardless ….. Augero …..

Theres probably more I’ve forgotten. Last day pressure is a funny thing.

32 years is TOO long.

For the last time this season …..

LETS GO WIN A LEAGUE!

Love the appaluse Div got from the crowd a cult hero of the highest order. When its all done and dusted we ran a club backed by unlimited sovereign wealth till the end. Now next week is the big one.

If theirs a prouder Liverpudlian then myself this evening I salute you. That's some pride you have in this historically awesome group of footballers who represent us and everything we stand for as a City as I am absolutely bursting with it. This may ramble a tad as I'm a tad bevvied. Apologies in advance.

Today's Final PL Admin-
28 total wins. 2 wins short of the season win target of 30.
92 total points. 3 points shy of the season points target of 95.

City- Champions.
P 38 W 29 D 6 L 3 PTS 93 F 99 A 26 GD + 73
Liverpool- 2nd.
P 38 W 28 D 8 L 2 PTS 92 F 94 A 26 GD + 68

Current Unbeaten League Run-
19 games: W 16 D 3 F 45 A 10 CS: 11.

Seriously, where do you even begin with this ridiculous gang of Reds? I mean, just look at the final standing there. Yet again, we've pushed a State backed team to the very limit. They won 1 more game than ourselves. They lost one more game than we did. They scored 5 more goals. And that's it! There is literally absolutely NOTHING to separate ourselves and Manchester City at this football lark! Over the last 4 seasons worth of PL football, the total points difference between the two teams is exactly ONE point! 358- 357. The next closest in the PL? Chelsea. on 279 points. 89/ 88 points behind City and Liverpool respectively. Over a SEASONS worth of points!!!!!

This is the THIRD time in the last FOUR seasons we've put up 92 or more points. Which is just mind blowing. Today's 92 being the third highest in our storied history. And the 8th highest in the history of the English top flight. And on two of those occasions, we haven't won the league. Which is just utterly mad. It's amusing as F when opposition divvy's try to paint that as a 'failure.' There's literally NOTHING more we, or City when they finish behind ourselves, which they will again, can be doing. Looking back at points dropped and lamenting draws hat when both sides are this historically good is a proper silly exercise. You don't put up 90 plus points and then bemoan a draw here and a draw there. No amount of Haalands for them, or Tchouaméni's, Bellingham's or whoever else we add is going to increase those points totals to any significant degree. These two teams are running at the absolute max. Season in. Season out. Like no other two teams in the history of the English top flight. We've gone through the second half the season unbeaten with 16 wins and 3 draws ..... Just HOW can you even begin to criticise or lament ANYTHING when they are that stupendously brilliant? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Is it disappointing to finish second again by a point to them in another mammoth title race? No question. But it's disappointment that is completely overridden by tremendous pride in knowing we MORE than did all we could from coming from 14 points behind, in January, with our players going off to the AFCON and every man and his dog outside of the match going support writing Liverpool off, to take them to the last second of the league season and make them fight ridiculously hard to retain their title.

I've been going the match since 1980. Consistently, all over this Country and Europe since 1987 when I got my first seasie and broke out on my own. And I've honestly not only never seen a gang of Reds as consistently brilliant as these Reds are. But I'd now put them, in the context of the opposition we are battling at home and abroad, clubs run by whole Country's, as the single best Liverpool side in our storied history. Better than the '77/ '78 side. Better than Kenny's great '87/ '88 side. What these lads are doing is just off the charts mental.

So today has been as much a celebration of immense Scouse pride as any disappointment in falling just a hairs breath short again. And, unlike, say Rafa's '08/'09 vintage, or Brendans '13/'14 group who both fell just short of that elusive PL title, you know this isn't a 'one off.' You know we'll be busting a gut from the first day of pre-season to go one better. And we'll be there, neck and neck, with City again to the death next year.. And the season after. And the season after that. The battle is just going to get more intense and more brilliant. Some years they'll come out on top. Some years we will. That's the finest of fine margins between the two greatest sides the PL has ever seen. And well arguably English football period. And the appreciation both during and after the game I sincerely hope came through the TV screen and reflected that,

Massive congratulations to City. You were just that smidgeon better this year and deserve to retain your crown. Fair play to you. Absolutely exceptional season. We relish going toe-to-toe again next season in what is fast turning into a battle for the ages the other 18 clubs can only watch in awe at.

As for ourselves ..... Well, I have 4 days to recover from today's excess before I jet off to Amsterdam Friday morning to connect with a train Friday avvy and yet another European Cup final weekend in Paris in the late spring sun ...... Man it's tough being a Red getting over days like today aye?

2 trophies down. 1 more to go for yet another treble and what will be this ridiculous football clubs third! This one being the biggest prize in all of football.

Up the 'Thank you. For EVERYTHING ' MIGHTY Reds! FTT!!!!!

Last edited: