The Manchester City Thread.

• Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date
  • Replies 3K
  • Views 240K
Have you not heard about the 1 billion pounds project by the owners?

They're building a huge development centre in the shadow of the stadium with a view to challenging Barcelona's academy along with creating local jobs and investing in the local community projects.

Here's some details:

Manchester City Football Club Submits Planning Application for Proposed Youth Development and First Team Training Centre | Manchester City Football Academy

I can't believe you haven't heard about that. As for Mancini not focusing on the youth, I would class Savic/Balotelli as young players and they get game time, he's sent Guidetti and Nimely out on loan and with Assulin's recent injury problems he's getting game time with the EDS.

Wenger-esque management?

I'm a huge Wenger fan, but when you spend over 300 million pounds on players in a short period you would kind of expect them to play rather than Wenger style investment and profit turning policy.
They are doing a project, but still haven't done much to welcome youth. Stefan Savic and Mario Balotelli are young, promising players but where is Derdryk Boyata or Alex Nimely (they should be in and around the first team, not out on loan). If these two players were at United, they would get their chance - Chris Smalling and Federico Macheda did! They could of started the 'project' sooner, maybe just when they took over and I have heard about it, just didn't think it would work as we are still investing heavily on established players. I meant rather than hired Mancini, we should of gave someone who was more willing to work with youth and more financial cautious than Mancini. That's exactly what I meant, we shouldn't of spent £300m and we probably wouldn't have if we had someone like Wenger in charge - many of that money was absolute waste (Roque Santa Cruz, Jo, Wayne Bridge, Robinho, etc.). However, you are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine, so let's not argue over this (if we were arguing?).

Mario's attitude has improved a lot recently. He's still batshit crazy but I'd rather have an eccentric, childlike figure like him than a total ****** like Rooney.

Even when doing ****, Rooney has more class thn Balotelli.

They are doing a project, but still haven't done much to welcome youth. Stefan Savic and Mario Balotelli are young, promising players but where is Derdryk Boyata or Alex Nimely (they should be in and around the first team, not out on loan). If these two players were at United, they would get their chance - Chris Smalling and Federico Macheda did! They could of started the 'project' sooner, maybe just when they took over and I have heard about it, just didn't think it would work as we are still investing heavily on established players. I meant rather than hired Mancini, we should of gave someone who was more willing to work with youth and more financial cautious than Mancini. That's exactly what I meant, we shouldn't of spent £300m and we probably wouldn't have if we had someone like Wenger in charge - many of that money was absolute waste (Roque Santa Cruz, Jo, Wayne Bridge, Robinho, etc.). However, you are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine, so let's not argue over this (if we were arguing?).

Those were mistakes by a **** manager they call Mark Hughes. Not Mancini....

Umm, well who would you drop for Nimely - Dzeko? Aguero? Balotelli? Tevez? Silva? Nasri? Johnson?
and Boyata.. Kompany? Lescott? Toure? Richards? Savic?

You can't just drop players to give youth a chance. Smalling wasn't supposed to play nearly as much as he played last season but injuries/suspensions forced us to have faith in him. Same with Macheda all those years ago vs Villa. It's luck as much as management.

Those were mistakes by a **** manager they call Mark Hughes. Not Mancini....
I know, but still if we had a good, financially secure manager then, we would have done better. I do agree Hughest wasn't very good with his signings, though!

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 PM ----------

Umm, well who would you drop for Nimely - Dzeko? Aguero? Balotelli? Tevez? Silva? Nasri? Johnson?
and Boyata.. Kompany? Lescott? Toure? Richards? Savic?

You can't just drop players to give youth a chance. Smalling wasn't supposed to play nearly as much as he played last season but injuries/suspensions forced us to have faith in him. Same with Macheda all those years ago vs Villa. It's luck as much as management.
You have a fair point, but sometimes you should give them more chances in 'smaller' or cup games and if they do fairly well, just give them a chance. If you don't give them a chance, what can they do? However< I do think Joleon Lescott should be dropped, and Kolo Toure is not on form at the moment after not playing for ages. Boyata is a good player, and should be given a chance - not farmed out on loan at the first opportunity.

I know, but still if we had a good, financially secure manager then, we would have done better. I do agree Hughest wasn't very good with his signings, though!

Dunno really. Every manager would spend if they had the money available Mancini has. It's about short-term success aswell as long-term. You will surely see more youth players getting chances at City in the coming years....

As for Nimely and Boyata, 1 season at Bolton playing regulary in the prem will do Boyata good. He has gotten some good reviews even when playing for a **** side like Bolton.

He will surely be part of City's next seasons squad, and will be ready to play more games for City because he will have much more experience.

As for Nimely, maybe he hasn't developed aswell as expected because of injuries......i dont think Mancini think he is ready or good enough now. And you gotta trust his judgement. 4 apps for middlesborough this seasons and no goals....i dont think he is as good as you think he is.

As for Nimely, maybe he hasn't developed aswell as expected because of injuries......i dont think Mancini think he is ready or good enough now. And you gotta trust his judgement. 4 apps for middlesborough this seasons and no goals....i dont think he is as good as you think he is.

Wikipedia much? He's played a few more games (6?) and most as a substitute. Harsh to judge him yet.

Wikipedia much? He's played a few more games (6?) and most as a substitute. Harsh to judge him yet.

Yup, wikipedia. :D

But still....i dont think he is good enough for City unfortunately. But who knows....he is in the age in which he should break through.

Yup, wikipedia. :D

But still....i dont think he is good enough for City unfortunately. But who knows....he is in the age in which he should break through.

Not saying he'll be a world beater, and I'm definitely not saying he's ready for a first-team place, but I have to agree that sending him out on loan to a club where he's not going to get games is a silly move and is hardly going to do the kid any good. Would've been better off staying with the club and playing cup games and maybe a few cameos against lesser opposition, which, considering City's recent form, would be pretty much 16 out of the 20 clubs in the Premier League.

Nimely picked up a knee knock and because Boro only have 2 other strikers he has had to play when not 100% but now Ogbeche's arrived Nimely's got 10 days non matchday rehab and rest. Feedback on him is good touch but poor movement. As for saying youth should get a chance, Savic gets chances just like Smalling did when he was being integrated and Boyata had chances last season vs Chelsea and Arsenal if I'm not mistaken and clearly was not ready. As for investment in youth, project aside City have spent millions signing teenagers from across Europe. I can't see your criticism point at all, I don't think the Elite Development Centre could have been done sooner at all considering they had to research, plan, design and buy the land to even get to where they are now in the planning permission process.

You must be the ONLY person who would take Balotelli over Rooney. No bias involved here, but Rooney >>>>> Balotelli.

In terms of attitude? That's what I was talking about, thought I had made that clear.

right enough if you cant keep the langauge clean, and back things up without being so obivously baised this is pointless, go argue via VMs rather than clogging up the city thread

lol at the guy saying that our youth shouldnt be out on loan. time and time again have players from many clubs, including united (welbeck/clevery are a good example) gone out on loan to a club where they will play a vital role and come back 10x the player.

Mario Balotelli becomes Manchester's ambassador for fireworks safety

• Italian striker warns children about the dangers of fireworks
• Claims that 'friends' were responsible for the fire in his home

Sergio Agüero may be the expert finisher and David Silva the artist supreme but who can doubt which Manchester City forward is proving to be the club's real value-for-money signing. Step forward Mario Balotelli, the dart-throwing, grass-hating, cash-hoarding maverick who has become the face of fireworks safety days after 'friends' let some off in his house, setting it ablaze. You could not make it up.
The player has been in the headlines since joining City in August last year and was described as "crazy" by his manager, Roberto Mancini, after revealinga 'Why Always Me?' T-shirt having scored the opening goal of City's 6-1 thrashing of Manchester United on Sunday. Balotelli's latest move, however, may be his finest.
"It is important children should not mess with fireworks. They can be very dangerous if they are not used in the right way. People should follow the firework code," warns a man who had to escape from his burninghome early on Saturday after fireworks were set off through a bathroom window. Two fire crews were called and Balotelli escaped unharmed. The 20-year-old Italian claimed the incident was the fault of one of the four friends who were staying with him at the property in Mottram St Andrew, Cheshire.
"The newspapers got the story wrong about me," he said. "I didn't set any fireworks off, it was a friend of mine. I didn't know anything about it until I heard shouting coming from the bathroom. My friend apologised to me for the damage to my house. It was a really stupid thing to do."
Indeed it was and, with bonfire night coming up, Balotelli is, according to City, keen to give his full support to the Manchester-based Treacle campaign, which provides information on how to enjoy fireworks safely. Rule No1? Do not set any off in your bathroom, perhaps.
Balotelli believes City's stunning win at Old Trafford, which has put them five points clear at the top of the Premier League, proves they "can be the best" and he has thanked the City fans for their backing of the players and, in particular, himself. "Even when I have had bad moments they have supported me," he said. "But I don't care what people say about me. I am focused on my football, my manager, girlfriends and my family."

Mario Balotelli becomes Manchester's ambassador for fireworks safety | Football | The Guardian

-- Seriously..

Also, the plural on girlfriend. Playaaaaaaaaa.

haha great post above, i really like balotelli great footballer but what a nutter!

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) - Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini appeared to close the door on a return for outcast Carlos Tevez on Friday, saying there was no way back for the striker who is in Argentina without the club's permission.
Mancini had offered the Argentine an olive branch earlier this month by saying that if he apologised for refusing to warm up in their Champions League match against Bayern Munich in September things could go back to normal.
That option receded on Friday, when Mancini was asked at a news conference if Tevez could return to play for City.
"No, I don't think (so)," the Italian replied.
Mancini has reverted to the stance he expressed after that game in Munich, when he said the player was "finished" at the club, which suspended him after the incident and fined him following an internal review.
Tevez had returned to training but last week failed to show up, saying he had gone to visit family in his homeland.
Asked if he expected to see Tevez at City again, the manager replied: "I don't know because I know that he is in Argentina but I don't know other things."
Mancini managed to crack a small joke over the situation, while also making it clear it was time to move on.
"He can't play tomorrow," he grinned, referring to Saturday's match at home to the league's only other unbeaten team, Newcastle United.

(from Reuturs)

Good. Been nothing short of a disgrace. Professional footballers are called professional footballers for a reason, and he was anything but. Mancini gave him a chance, and he threw it back in his face. Totally disrespected him. Addios Carlos. Youl will NOT be missed. Tool.

On a lighter note:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2011/November/Johnson-and-Zabaleta-ink-new-deals

Last edited:
Manchester City announce biggest ever loss in English football

• £194.5m loss eclipses Chelsea's £141m loss in 2005
• Results raise doubts about City's ability to meet new Uefa rules
Manchester City have announced the biggest loss in English football history, £194.5m for the most recent financial year. The loss on that huge scale, bankrolled by the club's oil-rich owner, Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed al-Nahyan during the third year since he bought City in 2008, eclipses the previous biggest loss ever made, £141m by Chelsea in 2005, the second year of their ownership by the oil oligarch Roman Abramovich.

City's loss was made principally by buying players to make Roberto Mancini's squad strong enough to top the Premier League, and paying wages beyond the club's own turnover. During the 2010-11 financial year City signed Jérôme Boateng for £10.5m, Edin Dzeko for £27m, David Silva for £26m, Yaya Touré for £24m, Aleksandar Kolarov for £19m, Mario Balotelli for £24m and James Milner for £26m, an extraordinary series of player purchases totalling £156.5m.

Mansour made it clear when he took over that he would spend the fortunes necessary to make City successful, and since June 2010 he has personally poured a further £291m into the club. Added to the £500m Mansour invested up to May 31 2010, he has now spent an unprecedented £800m on the football club, to bankroll the expenditure on transfer fees and wages the club would otherwise not have been able to afford. All the money has gone in as equity, in new shares, making it permanent, not as loans. The net loss City made on their operations, £160.5m, was increased by £34.4m writing off the value of several players signed previously, including the Brazilian striker, Jô.

A loss on such record-breaking scale raises immediate concerns about whether City have any chance of complying with Uefa's "financial fair play" rules, which will apply to clubs in European competitions from the 2014-15 season. Uefa will analyse top clubs' accounts for the three years before that, starting with the current 2011-12 financial year, and the rules allow clubs to lose just €45m (£38.5m) in total over those three years. Uefa's rationale is that such subsidised overspending is relentlessly inflating players' wages throughout European football, which has driven clubs insolvent.

City acknowledged the looming enforcement of financial fair play when releasing their figures, restating that despite this record loss close, they will attempt to comply. Graham Wallace, the club's chief operating office, said the 2010-11 financial year, in which those signings of top players added to the mountainous wage bill already accumulated, will be City's worst.

"Our losses, which we predicted as part of our accelerated investment strategy, will not be repeated on this scale in the future," Wallace promised. "These financial results represent the bottoming out of financial losses at Manchester City before the club is able to move towards a more sustainable position in all aspects of its operations in the years ahead.

"As we undertake the club's commercial transformation, we are cognisant of the incoming Uefa financial fair play regulations and consequently we continue to maintain positive and ongoing dialogue with all appropriate football authorities."

The club's chairman, Khaldoon al-Mubarak, a senior adviser to Mansour's al-Nahyan ruling family and the Abu Dhabi government, also implicitly acknowledged City's need not to depend on such huge subsidy from Mansour in coming years:

"Now that we are witnessing progress, both on and off the pitch, it is more important than ever to work towards achieving our ambition to establish Manchester City as a more successful, sustainable and internationally competitive football club, which remains rooted in the heart of the community it serves," al-Mubarak said.

City are confident that with income having risen 22.5% to £153m during 2010-11, the boost of Champions League football, increased TV and commercial earnings from being successful, the £350m 10-year shirt sponsorship and stadium naming rights deal with Etihad airline and the shedding of players no longer part of Mancini's plans, will draw income and spending closer together. They hope to show Uefa a "trend" towards breaking even by 2014-15 even if the losses have not been sufficiently staunched.

While seeing the need to comply with the rules, privately City are bullish too. Their 6-1 derby victory over United last month highlighted a sudden startling contrast between the Manchester club which has been pumped up by £800m owner investment, and United which, as their latest financial figures revealed this week, has now had £578m drained out by the Glazer family's 2005 debt-laden takeover.

While some clubs, most prominently Arsenal, complain that City's owner-spending is hyper-inflating wages and distorting football, City point out that they have broken no rules – so far at least – and in fact should be credited for investing fortunes in England, and in economically blighted east Manchester, at a time of economic meltdown here and in Europe.

"restating that despite this record loss close, they will attempt to comply." followed by:
"City are confident that with income having risen 22.5% to £153m during 2010-11, the boost of Champions League football, increased TV and commercial earnings from being successful, the £350m 10-year shirt sponsorship and stadium naming rights deal with Etihad airline and the shedding of players no longer part of Mancini's plans, will draw income and spending closer together." THEN it's:
" They hope to show Uefa a "trend" towards breaking even by 2014-15 even if the losses have not been sufficiently staunched."

Think they're going to be ****** personally. But we'll see. Hope for the fans sake it's not the case.