The Manchester City Thread.

• Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date
  • Replies 3K
  • Views 237K
City need to start looking at players for their attitude as well as their ability. Having Nasri, Balotelli and Tevez in the same team can't be a good thing.

SAF copped bit of flak for not making him a permanent signing, so glad he didnt
]

I slammed Fergie for not signing him on a perminant too and he got this call so right. Serioisly id rather have Torres without the goals but the passion than Tevez with the goals and the moods..

another great SAF decison, must have seen this comming.

We saw the first signs of it, clearly SAF saw more in training. But I really feel for Mancini, he's done everything possible for him

]

I slammed Fergie for not signing him on a perminant too and he got this call so right. Serioisly id rather have Torres without the goals but the passion than Tevez with the goals and the moods..
I wasnt too happy either, but i'm so glad i was wrong.

Agreed, at least Torres is playing for everyone around him

Tevez is an absolute disgrace. He signed a contract to play football and shood play when asked to unless he is physically or mentally unable to. In my eyes that's breach of contract.

DId I ever said I have utter dislike ( which bounds with hate) for Tevez ?

Think the Tevez situation is one of the worst examples of player power I can recall.

Think the Tevez situation is one of the worst examples of player power I can recall.

time for city to flex their muscles, find a way to tear up his contract

time for city to flex their muscles, find a way to tear up his contract

I would. Thought Gallas was bad when he threatened to score an own goal for one of his old clubs, but this is an absolute disgrace. Probably won't tear up his contract though-have a feeling they could just stick him in reserves and dock him a large amount of his pay, and get rid of him in Jan. And to think Chelsea showed an interest. Hopefully the other players will just blank him out and show him the resepct he deserves. None.

I swear you guys put a bid in for him?

We offer to match Rooney's wage, he refused, and we never went back. I remember being ****** off at the time. We dodged a ******* big bullet.

It also turned out he had no intention of ever siging that contract

City lined up with 4-2-3-1, which is fine when you push your lines up and have them at a reasonable distance inbetween. But to counter-act Bayern's strength from the midfield the two defensive mids got told to sit a few yards deeper than usual and the line of 3 in front just had no visible structure in possession it was either to deep and isolated Dzeko or far too high up for the DM's to pass the ball. When you think of people mentioning Song/Busquets/Scholes starting attacks for top teams from the deep end of the midfield, that point was never more apparent than tonight. Yaya Toure had his worst game in 2 years in my opinion and Barry was just plain old Barry, very plain/ordinary/bland with no energy off the ball and too slow on the ball to be effective.

Without the 2 DM's on song in City's system, mainly Yaya driving with the ball pulling in players to him to create space, they will struggle. The reason I think they didn't do that well was simply because the lines were all wrong and the gap between them and the 3 in front was far too big. Aguero was always doubled/tripled up on and Silva was just stone walled and shielded by the DM/full back so he could have no effect. Nasri picked up the ball on the touchline, got crowded out and tried 1-2's with Clichy but Clichy was hesitant to run in beyond Rafinha so stayed pretty deep leaving Nasri with no option but to 'wait for support' and get tackled/concede a throw in.

Dzeko was essentially the escape route for the City defence/DM/Hart in the first half, they'd just give the ball a hoof up to the big man and he would try to control and wait for support. Too often he either missed the opportunity to find Aguero running off him or the 3 behind him stayed behind him or square of him too often. Which was a massive problem in City's game, we can say they were too open and when Kolo Toure goes on a 45 yard run forward and gets countered it's hard to argue they weren't open. But being open and being 'attacking open' is a bit different, City's passing was backwards/square and granted Bayern did a good job of blocking forward passes but City just never really had many 'vertically directed' passes either in behind or around the box to feet. The one threat they had was the ever dependable Micah Richards with the inside-Lahm through ball but whenever he got to the byline and put in dangerous balls to the centre/near post City had no one there. Dzeko 9/10 will spin off to the backpost and Aguero/Silva just lurked deep on the 18 yard line waiting for a pull back rather than a driven cross. That made it really easy, Aguero/Silva tracked and marked by 2 Bayern mids normally Schwein/Gustavo and then Dzeko taken by one CB and the other CB Van Buyten just picks up a position to block/clear the cross.

Whenever City did go wide and get width you had Ribery/Muller helping the full back double up on the attacking player, contrast that to City and the way they normally handled Ribery was Richards show him down the line in case he played in Lahm and then a Defensive Mid would attempt to cut out the cut inside option for Ribery.

Essentially the match ups went: AMR/AML of City were so deep it allowed Rafinha/Lahm to get up tight on them because they know they had the beating of them down the line. The central attacking midfielder of City was picked up by Gustavo, and that left Dzeko with two CB's to deal with. Completely outmatched in all areas of the pitch thoughout the game and City changed nothing even with De Jong who just solidified the central area in front of the CB's which was never the real threat all game.

As for the 2 goals, City's CB's for me should react a lot better than they did, for the first one Kompany was actually in front of Gomez and had him in control before the 2nd phase and Kompany never moved more than an inch whilst Gomez ran 5 yards round the back and tapped in the rebound from Harts double save. The 2nd goal was a testament to Gomez's movement and the way he went back to body on the defender on the turn so he knew he would be onside and ready to get a rebound.

When he brought Milner/Kolarov on it gave them width, but width is not how you beat Bayern. Another factor I looked at is whenever Bayern broke they always had 5 on 3 but when City broke it was 3 on 5. It shows how poor the DM's of City did throughout in my opinion, losing the ball carelessly and slow to track back. Contrast that to Bayerns mid who did work hard but they did give the ball away a lot 1st half and you can see why Bayern won.

As for Tevez, what can I say that's not already been said?

The fact that the one man who has defended him, or attempted to in some half hearted way, was Mark Hughes who is a client of Mr Kia Joorabchian. Make your own minds up on that one.

Dzeko's reaction was understandable given the situation and the pressure of going back to Germany and proving himself to German fans etc. I think Mancini did get this game wrong from the start, I think the players didn't perform well especially the 3 behind Dzeko but this is going to sound either cliche or crazy but City will either get stronger from this whole experience tonight or they will collapse both in the UCL and in the PL and Mancini will be out of the job by Christmas. Squad harmony problems need addressing and then he can work on the individuals and alter some peoples instructions.

Still think City will just get through, Villareal are vulnerable and if City beat them home and away it sets up a must-win game vs Napoli who are actually weaker in Naples typically than they are away tonight's result aside.

I think Super Mario will fix all of City's problems, better professional than Tevez as well. Not saying he's the most professional player in the world but he's more professional than Carlos. Balotelli instructions: Mario put ball in net. None of the 'hold it up Mario and wait for Aguero to overlap', just simply 'put the ball in the net'. He'll either get a hat trick or get an own goal and a red card, he's worth the risk.

I do think Mancini has said Tevez will never play for City again, but this time I think he means it.

Long winded rant over, disappointing but not the end of the road for City,

Just for effort. I have no wish to read your essay :)

Aguero out for 'at least two weeks' with groin injury according to David Platt

Aguero out for 'at least two weeks' with groin injury according to David Platt

**** thing. But good thing is that it's the international break now. And he will probably recover soon after that.

As long as Balo, Nasri and Dzeko are fit, no problem. Balo was amazing today. But that leaves City with only 3 recognizable strikers atleast till january. So let's hope they keep themselves fit.

Brilliant by Balotelli.

Johnson looked poor first half, sharpened up 2nd.

And one of my personal favourite players grabbed his first goal, Savic. He's been superb whenever he's came on for City, from goal line clearances at 1-0 vs Everton to 95% pass completion.

Not that big of an issue, put Silva central behind Dzeko with Nasri/Balotelli wide.

Good 2nd half performance by City, they were struggling first half. Glad Mario's coming through, 3 in 3 for him now. This could, could, be his break out season and put aside this 'potential' tag replacing it with a 'superb consistent ability' tag.