The Manchester City Thread.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3K
  • Views Views 244K
Not to mention every team he's left has declined in some way. Best coach in the world, I think everyone knows it deep down. Me along with most United fans are very happy with Jose, but they'd be lying to themselves if they said they've never wondered "what if" in regards to going after Pep.

He obviously hasn't been watching a lot of football outside the PL then. Mbappe wouldn't be far off that tag!

He obviously hasn't been watching a lot of football outside the PL then. Mbappe wouldn't be far off that tag!

I think the fact Jesus, has started with a similar strike rate at international level as well, has swayed his thinking on that one.

Mbappe is just too far down a stacked french squad.

EDIT : [FONT=&quot]Walker has now got more assists for City than all the other fullbacks for City had in the last season put together [/FONT]

Its been a long time since Messi was young lol. There’s been some fantastic young players since and a fair few currently.

No doubt he's a very good player with a goalscoring brain, but I just think Mbappe's out on his own when it comes to u21 talents. He's dominating CL games at 18 years old lol

Goals v City, Juventus, Dortmund etc.. raped Bayern, the kid's crazy. Nothing like Messi style wise though, more of an Henry

Not to mention every team he's left has declined in some way. Best coach in the world, I think everyone knows it deep down. Me along with most United fans are very happy with Jose, but they'd be lying to themselves if they said they've never wondered "what if" in regards to going after Pep.

Woah, hold on, he's the best manager in the world based on what... 8 games in PL? However many has been played. They started last season like a house on fire and then fizzled into nothing at the end.

Sure, if we're basing football on the style, you have an argument. But how is he the best in the world when he has failed to win a CL at both Bayern (who won it the season before with Heynckes) and City thus far?

He can't be considered the best until he has won CL with a different club for me. Football is more than just style, it's winning, Jose still has the edge with his achievements for me.

Sure Pep is up there, but to say he is the outright best, is just not quite true... at least for now.

Last edited:
You misquoted me, I said he's the best coach in the world. Think about it and come back to me.

You misquoted me, I said he's the best coach in the world. Think about it and come back to me.

I don't know, it's kind of all related really, the best coach is the one who gets players and teams winning the most football matches isn't it?

Sure there is a developmental side to it, how they improve players etc. But honestly Pep has spent a fuckton and hasn't exactly done it all from what his predecessor at City had.

So it's hard to judge ultimately, personally I just go on success and the other things usually take care of themselves. A winning team and manager will be getting the best out of certain players regardless.

Personally Mourinho has the edge, not because I'm a United fanboy, because the best coaches can adapt to any situation in any context. Mourinho has shown he can take teams across multiple leagues and guide them to European glory. Most adaptable manager in the world for me, can set records for most goals in leagues like La Liga or set up/park the bus to nullify pretty much any attack in world football.

Last edited:
Jose has spent every bit as crazily as Pep, so neither of them have any excuse to not win the league this season. Both managers have more or less built their identity in their respective squads now.

Can't say he hasn't improved them from Pellegrini. Maybe not results wise, but the improvements in practically every player he sees worthy has been massive. It's like saying Jose didn't improve us from Van Gaal because he finished 6th, which would be false. Sometimes you have to look at the process, not the result.

You can argue Mourinho's success & credentials against him as a manager, but as a football coach, he doesn't come near Pep. Nobody sees the game the way Guardiola does. Does he need to spend a fuckload to achieve his visions? Yes, as does Mourinho and other managers - welcome to an the era of football where an 18 year old costs shy of 200M. It's just his visions happen to be the best. The beauty of his football, the pure tactical intelligence, it goes unmatched. What I like about him is, generally coaches that play beautiful possession based attacking football, as Jose likes to call them, the "poets", don't tend to win a lot of trophies, but Pep plays the best football in the world and still heavily contends with the pragmatic/realist managers.

I despise everything Mourinho represents, but it's not even a contest between him and Guardiola. Yeah they both have spent heavily, but Jose has proven time and time again he can be highly adaptable and have success even with unbalanced and imperfect squads.

Guardiola needs to either inherit a great team, or pull out a checkbook and spend 80 fuckzillion, otherwise all his supposed tactical acumen isn't worth jack ****. Even when he does inherit a great team he has his head too far up his own *** to play anything except his own brand of football. He completely ruined Heyckness's Bayern despite 3 years of work and reinforcements with top class talent brought in every transfer window.

In a perfect scenario where they both have unlimited budget and can bring any talent they want, I would give Pep slight edge in the league because his proactive approach to controlling every game works excellent in the league.

But in cups I would give huge edge to Mourinho. Cups by their very nature require more cagey and reactive football, sometimes you just need to grind it out. Abandon your principles, abandon your hipster style, abandon your vision, and just grind it out. Park the bus and boot it up the pitch for 90 minutes if you have to, nobody cares as long as you win the tie. Ferguson knew that, Mourinho knows that, Guardiola does not, and that will always be his biggest flaw.

Far as I'm concerned, Guardiola is basically Wenger with money - they both stubbornly believe that always walking it in is the best way, but Guardiola actually had funds to put that philosophy in motion.

Last edited:
The Jose/Pep debate is like saying Bob's a better chef than Tim because Bob can cook in various kitchen environments. He'll always grind you some sort of feed, it mightn't be tasty, but it'll fill you. Tim's a little more spoilt, and needs a lot of equipment to work with, but if you get him everything, he'll make you the best ******* meal you've ever tasted in your life.

The Jose/Pep debate is like saying Bob's a better chef than Tim because Bob can cook in various kitchen environments. He'll always grind you some sort of feed, it mightn't be tasty, but it'll fill you. Tim's a little more spoilt, and needs a lot of equipment to work with, but if you get him everything, he'll make you the best ******* meal you've ever tasted in your
life.

Well that's just like, your opinion man. In terms of attractiveness of football, I highly prefer Mourinho's 2012 Madrid, 2015 Barca, or 2013 Bayern, to anything Pep ever did. And that's not even getting into objective metrics that show those teams scoring as much or even more goals than respective Guardiola's teams.

And it's hard to argue that generally more goals means better football, unless someone is watching this sport to see cool passing triangles.

Sterling is a better player now than at any point his career. Absolutely the right move by him. You'd have to he exceedingly bitter to hold it against him still

Smashing this, one of the bar from KDB, and one stopped dead on the line, as well as the 2 already in the net.

City have been good. But my god Napoli have been ***** especially at the back. Don’t look like anything like there league form.

City have been good. But my god Napoli have been ***** especially at the back. Don’t look like anything like there league form.

First 2 were all us, if we get a 3rd though, it'll come from a defensive **** up, we'll strolled 2nd half..

Back