The Manchester City Thread.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3K
  • Views Views 244K
Yep we pressed your CB's but most importantly gave them no options for a pass into midfield. I like Fernandinho but he has to give an option to his CB. All they could do was dangerous passes across the box that were constantly cut out by our forward line.

Yeah, his positional play was bobbins today. No wonder we're looking a new DMC.

Yeah, his positional play was bobbins today. No wonder we're looking a new DMC.

Yep after the fourth went in you could see Pep shouting at him to stay near the middle so his CB could have an option.

Yep after the fourth went in you could see Pep shouting at him to stay near the middle so his CB could have an option.

Me too. :)

Gundogan should have dropped a bit deeper at that point as well, but he didnt. Meh. 1 goal loss. i'll take it, i thought would be a cricket score when the 4th went in. (As out muscled as he was for the 2nd goal). that was when Stones put his foot on it and calmed it down. Pool legs were hammered and we found some space to play in. hence the quick comeback.

Newcastle at home next week. 15 points clear. before Feb Ill still have that all day

Haha, yeah. You'd think that making a passing triangle for the guy on the ball is basic tactics that kids probably learn in youth teams these days. But try doing that when entire opposing team can suddenly explode forward and close of all the passing lanes.

Even though Man City lost, I was impressed. Even after playing poorly and getting hit with the Liverpool blitz, the team did not change its plan and came within a mistimed Aguero run and escaping with a point.

Yeh the annoying thing is, if you actually get at City they are vulnerable and shaky at the back.

I've noticed some smaller teams of late have actually been trying this and using more off a pressing game against you. Trouble for them is though, that unlike Liverpool they don't have the quality in the final third to make it count.

I just hope, teams are actually taking note of this and will actually learn not to do the whole 'sit deep and let them have all the space in the world' approach that just simply doesn't work.

You mayswell have a go at this City team rather than just sit back and accept a defeat. *cough Mourinho*

Yeh the annoying thing is, if you actually get at City they are vulnerable and shaky at the back.

I've noticed some smaller teams of late have actually been trying this and using more off a pressing game against you. Trouble for them is though, that unlike Liverpool they don't have the quality in the final third to make it count.

I just hope, teams are actually taking note of this and will actually learn not to do the whole 'sit deep and let them have all the space in the world' approach that just simply doesn't work.

You mayswell have a go at this City team rather than just sit back and accept a defeat. *cough Mourinho*

Klopp says there is "no alternative" other than attacking football to beat City. Otherwise, you're just "standing on the edge of your box", "hoping to win the lottery".

Klopp says there is "no alternative" other than attacking football to beat City. Otherwise, you're just "standing on the edge of your box", "hoping to win the lottery".

Definitely. Quite telling as well as Klopp is the only guy that has positive head to head record vs Pep.

Definitely. Quite telling as well as Klopp is the only guy that has positive head to head record vs Pep.

Pep knows very well how to beat him though. I'm not sure he has the right personnel here for that. At Bayern they absolutely murdered the high press with Neuer and Boateng hoofing laser guided balls to Lewandowski. But Ederson aint Neuer, Stones aint Boateng and there's no Lewandowskis out there.

Pep knows very well how to beat him though. I'm not sure he has the right personnel here for that. At Bayern they absolutely murdered the high press with Neuer and Boateng hoofing laser guided balls to Lewandowski. But Ederson aint Neuer, Stones aint Boateng and there's no Lewandowskis out there.

Yep, even remember watching a game once where Pep had Martinez up top as a direct target to beat Klopp's press (and effectively).

As much as twitter seems to think every team can and should do this.. Cant anyone even close to getting it done to claw back the lead... Need a new DMC though.

As much as twitter seems to think every team can and should do this.. Cant anyone even close to getting it done to claw back the lead...

Yeah but when was the last time parking the bus even worked? Chelsea in CL semis 5 years ago? And that was with Drogba up to.

It's not like you have to do it Klopp-style. The way Atletico sets up against Barca is also fairly safe bet. Atletico rarely press that high from what I have seen. Mostly they let them play in their own half, but when the ball goes past the half-line, the middle of a pitch is completely constipated with 10 bodies with barely any room to do scratch your nose. Eventually someone makes a mistake and there goes a counter.

I'm sure teams will all find there own way to get round it, Spurs did the same as Liverpool. last year, and battered us at there place. Tried it again this year and got hammered. Its more the execution of the plan, has to be done perfectly for 90+ in every area. Most prem teams don't have it in the locker.

Just realised I was so busy our thread I never dropped by Sunday to say both commiserations and props for more than playing your part in the game of the season.

Sincerely hope we meet three more times this year the FA Cup and a 2 legged European tie. Can't get enough from the buzz of a game between Guardiola and Klopp.

Would be an epic CL tie that.

I have somewhat lost all interest in footy and fantasy, because of this transfer mill and news everywhere. Cant wait to be back on track with season and some good CL footy.

Also more offtopci, has anyone went to Super Cup game? Any idea how fast the tickets go and when they are available? Cant miss it, because it is in Estonia :)

Been to two. Both in Monaco. Haven't a clue who early/ how many UEFA's sales go sorry. The club allocation was always limited down to the size of the ground in Monaco and there was a mad scramble both games given the amount that went over.

Holding it in an even smaller venue in Talin next year is just nuts. Quite a few good options in.. Either direct or via say Scandinavia. L'pool or United are there it'll be rammend.

Back