The Manchester City Thread.

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 79730
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 3K
  • Views Views 244K
They were willing to pay him 30M up front as a sign on fee. Their line was as far down the road as ours.

If their 'line' for the total package had been he'd more than likely be at City now. Utd had to massively overpay to move ahead of them. Just is what it is and Tyton, I think, is just saying Pep and City wouldn't do that for someone who wouldn't be there for the long haul.

No doubt we offered more in the end (wages wise, I doubt bonus), but their initial offer was already so obscene, that there's no moral high ground for them not bettering United's offer as some have suggested.

I've actually seen some people say "fair play for City for pulling out".

For what it's worth, I actually think him being more of a main man at United, as opposed to being just one of many shining stars in Pep's attacking system (which he also could've seen himself rotated, ask Aguero) was also a factor for his ego. Not solely money.

We'll have to make do with De Bruyne, Silva, Sterling, Bernado and Jesus covering the left wing.... and possible Fred as well.

Nightmare

OFFICIAL: Man City have completed the signing of Jack Harrison on a three-and-a-half year deal from New York City FC.He joins Middlesbrough on loan until the end of the season.

Buying a player from a club you own. Good business!

OFFICIAL: Man City have completed the signing of Jack Harrison on a three-and-a-half year deal from New York City FC.He joins Middlesbrough on loan until the end of the season.

Buying a player from a club you own. Good business!

Really looking forward to seeing how this pans out for him. Really interesting story for him to get into English Footie... Good Luck

How does ANYONE compete with this?

Casually drop £57 million on a real promising young centre-half one day. Throw in bids of, reported to this point, £60 million for one of the best wingers. and most exciting players, the league the next to add to an already ridiculous array of attacking talent. Pushed into that down to a player being out for SIX weeks.

Teams strengthen January. Then City, already streets ahead of anyone else, steps up and blows them all out of the water. AGAIN! The later of which they don't even need but who would be another frighteningly good addition under Guardiola and his system.

Talk about locking up the league for the next foreseeable years and throwing away the key. Geez.

Casually drop £57 million on a real promising young centre-half one day. Throw in bids of, reported to this point, £60 million for one of the best wingers. and most exciting players, the league the next to add to an already ridiculous array of attacking talent. Pushed into that down to a player being out for SIX weeks.

Teams strengthen January. Then City, already streets ahead of anyone else, steps up and blows them all out of the water. AGAIN! The later of which they don't even need but who would be another frighteningly good addition under Guardiola and his system.

Talk about locking up the league for the next foreseeable years and throwing away the key. Geez.

Anyone could have cone after that defender, it was his release clause. Why others spend more, its their business.
Peps said yesterday very well. They have spend ton **** of money yeah, but they got many players in for that. They had huge aging team and contracts run out. They spent their money very wisely while some teams just splash it out on few players.

Your way over-reacting.... thought it was only a day or so ago saying Pep won't spend big on a prima donna and blah blah blah?

Looks like they are panicking a bit now if you ask me... one can only assume cos of the Sane injury.

Plus.... why pay £60m for Mahrez who is only 2 years younger when you could of had Sanchez for half the transfer fee. Ok the wages would of been more but it's obvious that the latter is better.

Mahrez is good... but to do it this late in the window... any high ground City thought they held over Sanchez now looks rather daft if you ask me.

Plus I don't really feel anyone fears Mahrez taking City to the next level as much as Sanchez could of.

Laporte is a good signing, but Pep's teams will always concede goals, it's getting at the defence that's the issue.

Last edited:
Mahrez is a 'prima-donna?'

Won't get many Leicester fans agreeing with that. He was at fault the Ranieri coup but before and since those last few months of the Italian he's consistently been one of their hardest working, and most unselfish, players.

And one of the best wingers the league IMHO. Mahrez skill set and work rate under a Guardiola or Klopp is a frightening prospect.

Mahrez is a 'prima-donna?'

Won't get many Leicester fans agreeing with that. He was at fault the Ranieri coup but before and since those last few months of the Italian he's consistently been one of their hardest working, and most unselfish, players.

And one of the best wingers the league IMHO. Mahrez skill set and work rate under a Guardiola or Klopp is a frightening prospect.

Mahrez work-rate isn't anything to behold imo, he has quality moments of magic and is a good player.

Did you not see the summer transfer window? Mahrez was going here there and everywhere to illustrate a move to another club!

One question that does come up though is where does FFP (STOP laughing at the back) come into this?

City would have van Dijk now this window if he had shown any inclination to go there. More than Laporte before you add whatever Mahrez will run to if he goes there. On top of the massive summer spend.

The wage issue was the main prob with Sanchez after United appeared, we were in the middle of negotiation with De Bryune, Sterling and Fernadinho last month. Mahrez will be a 3rd of sanchez wages, and closer to the being offloaded Mangala in the budget. We'll being paying Mahrez & Laporte close enough to sanchez on his own.

As for the spending, the team he inhertited should have been gutted 3-5 years ago. not surprised he released and replaced 50+%tbh, we had the oldest squad in Europe in 14/15. Now look at it... Id rather Redmond than mahrez but meh..

I can see where ZZ is coming from though, not a big fan of Mahrez antics as rumoured, but we're hardly getting a Balotelli level idiot here with less output. Sanchez other role would have been the left. No Sane, No Mendy. No real outstanding front runner in the CL, you can see why Pep is taking his shot at the lot.

I can see where ZZ is coming from though, not a big fan of Mahrez antics as rumoured, but we're hardly getting a Balotelli level idiot here with less output. Sanchez other role would have been the left. No Sane, No Mendy. No real outstanding front runner in the CL, you can see why Pep is taking his shot at the lot.

I was very critical of Mahrez through the disgraceful player power Ranieri coup.

But having talked to a god few Leicester fans twice this season alone down there, along with hearing fan representatives on various pods, all of them can't speak highly enough of his work rate and his unselfish play for the team. He's even started to adapt under Shakespeare and now this fella' to adding defensive responsibility to his game and tracking back on a more consistent basis.

Changes ones outside opinion when you get it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I was very critical of Mahrez through the disgraceful player power Ranieri coup.

But having talked to a god few Leicester fans twice this season alone down there, along with hearing fan representatives on various pods, all of them can't speak highly enough of his work rate and his unselfish play for the team. He's even started to adapt under Shakespeare and now this fella' to adding defensive responsibility to his game and tracking back on a more consistent basis.

Changes ones outside opinion when you get it straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.

Don't think Pep does sentiment either, you cut it or you're gone. Plenty of takers for him I would think if hes a nightmare. If Pep and Klopp are linked you gotta think the lads willing to put a shift in, two worst managers for letting work slide without the ball

There was a Leicester lad on one of the transfer gutter shows the other week on TAW I'd love to let you listen to but sadly can't as it's behind the subscription wall. Basically saying just that. He'd be devastating under Klopp the way we play. And with Pep being of a very similar philosophy, I couldn't see him being anything else but a fantastic addition at City.

Versatile. He's played all over the front three for Leicester to great effect. Though mainly off the right down to the lad who went to Chelsea the other side. Brilliant technically. Superb first touch and dribbler at pace. Inventive. Goalscorer. Two footed. Totally unselfish and real hard worker.

Seriously don't get what's not to like? I'd love nottin' more than L'pool to come in today and gazump this one.

Yeah Mahrez is a top addition. Would've preferred to see him go to a club where he'd be more of a key player though, as I think the lad has the potential to be a tier one player. Could've been that for us, but can't be too disheartened with Sanchez instead, to say the least.

When I heard Liverpool were in for him I kept my mouth shut, but I really didn't want them getting their hands on him, as I really rate him, probably more than most on here. With City, it's a case that they're already that good, that I'm beyond caring who they sign.

Back