The Manchester United Thread

Agreed. But I also agree that he is a risky appointment (as is shown by his history). But at the same time he does have the personality as well as experience of winning stuff and/or working at big clubs (which DM didnt have). He is also an attractive name for players (tho some may be scared of him I grant you) to choose us over other options for and is known to produce football that is attacking and nice on the eye (couldnt really stand anymore of the tedium under DM).

So yes we are excited and with very good reason. I dont think our squad is as bad as people have been claiming (even LFCMarshal is at it in the previous post!) and his strong, "quirky" personality is exactly what is needed to kick people up their backsides ...

oh its not a bad squad by any means, just a lot of deadwood and ageing players in my opinion.. Long way behind Chelsea and Man City

It's not bad overall, but it is unbalanced, with holes in key areas. needs to 4-6 in.

Jordie Clasie? I would rather keep Anderson. Get Leroy Fer please.

Shaw, Rakitic, Benatia, Clasie, not sure about RB and winger though

Rakitic seems to be Real Madrid bound, so I dunno about that..

Shaw, Clasie, Griezmann, de Vrij/Dede/Martins Indi and one more midfielder among the loads we've been linked to seem to be my guess..

Griezmann because we can guarantee him more game time as opposed to PSG, however, if they were to get him, then Lucas Moura would be a fair bet..

Sell Valencia, Young, Anderson, Lindegaard, Chicharito, Kagawa;; I'd hate to see Kagawa/Chicharito go, but for their career, they'll need to. Nani stays because LvG has blocked his move stating he wants him as a winger.

Vidic is leaving. Evra and Ferdinand need to go too. Although I intensely dislike the way in which Ferdinand was to told to leave.

Promote Nick Powell, Jesse Lingard, Sam Johnstone, Micheal Keane. Give James Wilson cup games. Also, integrate Angelo Henriquez into the first team squad slowly.

That'd be a very good season..

Could be being cynical but all United fans seem very happy with Van Gaal, yet i cant help but feel it is a risky appointment...

Sacked at Barcelona (Twice/ resigned once), sacked at Netherlands after failing to qualify for the world cup, resigned at Ajax due to an internal conflict and finally sacked at Bayern Munich

He seems to have managed the top club, with the top players but the majority of the time has ended up either being sacked or leaving due to differences with the board

Not sure what you lot think, but i am surprised by the level of confidence most fans seem to have
Of course it sounds risky if you put things that way. Most managers in the world would. Let me make an example:

Mourinho were sacked by Chelsea because of his negative football and his inability to win the CL and then sacked by Real Madrid because results under him wasn't good enough and the half of the team are against him.

Lippi, after numerous season with smaller clubs, finally had his big breakthrough when Juventus first appointed him as their manager. He resigned later when the team were 9th in the table. He then went to Inter Milan, where they finished 4th in his first season and then were sacked 1 game into his second season. He also resigned from the Italian national team when the team finished 3rd in the group stages of the World Cup and then dully eliminated, in which they were the defending champions. His group consists mainly of second/third-tier teams - Slovakia, Paraguay, New Zealand.

Heynckes were sacked by Bayern, resigned from Frankfurt, sacked by Real Madrid, resigned from Benfica after becoming unpopular with the fans, sacked by Schalke and also resigned from Gladbach because they were 17th and received death threats to his wife which was so severe that it required police protection.

Even the best managers would look bad if you only mention the downs of his career.

Rakitic seems to be Real Madrid bound, so I dunno about that..

Shaw, Clasie, Griezmann, de Vrij/Dede/Martins Indi and one more midfielder among the loads we've been linked to seem to be my guess..

Griezmann because we can guarantee him more game time as opposed to PSG, however, if they were to get him, then Lucas Moura would be a fair bet..

Sell Valencia, Young, Anderson, Lindegaard, Chicharito, Kagawa;; I'd hate to see Kagawa/Chicharito go, but for their career, they'll need to. Nani stays because LvG has blocked his move stating he wants him as a winger.

Vidic is leaving. Evra and Ferdinand need to go too. Although I intensely dislike the way in which Ferdinand was to told to leave.

Promote Nick Powell, Jesse Lingard, Sam Johnstone, Micheal Keane. Give James Wilson cup games. Also, integrate Angelo Henriquez into the first team squad slowly.

That'd be a very good season..
No chance are we going to sign Shaw,Dede,Martins,Vrij not 4 defenders!

Im with Vanjagl on Clasie. The other three are class. As for winger we should try for Angel Di Maria or risk it with Griezmann.

What about Bruno Martins Indi or indeed Mats Hummels?

Im with Vanjagl on Clasie. The other three are class. As for winger we should try for Angel Di Maria or risk it with Griezmann.

Hummels is a dream, that's all. Martins Indi, on the other hand, could be a pretty good signing. He can play in Central Defence, and can also deputise at LB I believe.

His form this season? I highly, highly doubt di Maria will be leaving Madrid. Plus, Ancelotti seems to love him, so no luck their either. And he's getting lots of games, playing behind the striker. Our best bet for di Maria would have been last season, when it was imminent that Bale would move to Madrid. Now, I highly doubt it'd happen.

We will never get Di Maria, there is a reason they sold Ozil rather than him. Tactically he is just too valuable to Madrid.

We will never get Di Maria, there is a reason they sold Ozil rather than him. Tactically he is just too valuable to Madrid.
Yes Di Maria is crucial to how Carlo wants Madrid to play. Whats your thoughts on Hummels and how good is Classie? Also looking forward to watching Keane and Lingard tonight!

Clasie, de Vrij/Martins Indi

Imo, the 3 dutchies from Feyenoord aren't good enough. They're good players for Feyenoord, but too often they are in bad form or make sloppy mistakes in the Eredivisie. There's alot of discussion in the Netherlands about our defence, because they make so many mistakes with their team and besides Ajax-players they don't have any international experience.

Clasie is lacking body for the BPL, but he's a pretty aggresive defensive midfielder, but his physique is a pretty big downside.

Imo, the 3 dutchies from Feyenoord aren't good enough. They're good players for Feyenoord, but too often they are in bad form or make sloppy mistakes in the Eredivisie. There's alot of discussion in the Netherlands about our defence, because they make so many mistakes with their team and besides Ajax-players they don't have any international experience.

Clasie is lacking body for the BPL, but he's a pretty aggresive defensive midfielder, but his physique is a pretty big downside.
So Classie needs to develop physicaly? Whats his ball playing like? Looked good at weekend.

Michael Keane and Jessie Lingard played very well tonight for the England U21s especially Lingard was always in space and has such awareness for the next pass and good control in tight spaces, also very good dribbler of the ball and very rarely gives the ball away and his weight of pass in just about perfect. Really hope to see him round 1st team next season.

Err, didn't he sign a new contract with Sevilla recently? He doesn't seem intent on leaving any time soon, let alone abroad.