The Manchester United Thread

Am I the only one who is super excited about next season even though we haven't signed any player till now? Not saying I would be happy if it continues like this but after watching how we played last season and how Netherlands are playing I just can't help but feel excited.

• Netherlands are in the toughest group but they have scored most goals than any team.
  • Even in qualification only Germany and Argentina scored more goals than Netherlands. Argetina played 6 more games and scored just 1 goal more.
  • Netherlands had the best GD in the qualification.
  • Even in this world cup, Netherlands conceded only 3 goals but 2 of them were controversial penalties. Superb achievement when you consider the teams they played, experience of their defense and the last minute switch to 5-3-2.
  • LVG tactics brought the best out of RVP. He was the leading scorer in qualifiers and second in this world cup (played 1 game less).
  • LVG knows how to set up the team and play his star playing more attacking role without unbalancing the team. His post match conference was superb after Chile game.
  • Finally we can again look forward to Manager's pre and post match conference and biggest of them all we can look forward to ManUtd games with a hope that we will play attacking football.

I missed post match interviews like this.

It was put to Van Gaal that he adopted a negative approach against Chile in Robin van Persie's absence, but the Dutch coach immediately turned the conversation on its head. "Could you give a definition of attacking football? That's my question to you. You have such a clever question. Now give me an answer," said an irritable Van Gaal. The journalist stuttered that it wasn't a criticism but the can of worms had been opened.
"If I played 4-3-3 against Chile, Robben and Lens would have had to run after them. They can't do that for 90 minutes," Van Gaal continued. "It's all about winning. I want to win so I'm going to pick a system that will help me win. I believe that's what football is."

Am I the only one who is super excited about next season even though we haven't signed any player till now? Not saying I would be happy if it continues like this but after watching how we played last season and how Netherlands are playing I just can't help but feel excited.
  • Netherlands are in the toughest group but they have scored most goals than any team.
  • Even in qualification only Germany and Argentina scored more goals than Netherlands. Argetina played 6 more games and scored just 1 goal more.
  • Even in this world cup, Netherlands conceded only 3 goals but 2 of them were controversial penalties. Superb achievement when you consider the teams they played, experience of their defense and the last minute switch to 5-3-2.
  • LVG tactics brought the best out of RVP. He was the leading scorer in qualifiers and second in this world cup (played 1 game less).
  • LVG knows how to set up the team and play his star playing more attacking role without unbalancing the team. His post match conference was superb after Chile game.
  • Finally we can again look forward to Manager's pre and post match conference and biggest of them all we can look forward to ManUtd games with a hope that we will play attacking football.

Yeh and just to add, I think one of the best things about LVG is his ability to get the best out of average players... I mean that Dutch side on paper is pretty **** average.

Like I mentioned on the WC thread... that has really stood out to me... managers of teams with average players but getting them to perform at a great level.

AS now running the story too. Ander Herrera will sign for Manchester United tomorrow for €36M.

Ander Herrera se va al United | Liga BBVA | AS.com

Story says that his release clause goes up to €40M from July 1st as he enters final year of his contract so Man United had to move now to make the deal. Seems done.

******* Spanish media always fools us.

According to them Thiago was signed 100 times and also Herrera some 50 times.

Hopefully at least this time they are correct.

**** this, Telegraph reporting that deal is agreed to sign Herrera.

Someone tell me, do we have right to get excited after the season and the transfer sagas we had?

**** this, Telegraph reporting that deal is agreed to sign Herrera.

Someone tell me, do we have right to get excited after the season and the transfer sagas we had?

Woodward has sent the release clause package payments in chocolate coins...... so no, not yet.

Yeh and just to add, I think one of the best things about LVG is his ability to get the best out of average players... I mean that Dutch side on paper is pretty **** average.

Like I mentioned on the WC thread... that has really stood out to me... managers of teams with average players but getting them to perform at a great level.

Yeah and also I would love to see us signing Blind. I'm impressed with him in the 4 games I watched and in those games he played as LWB,CB and CM and in all the roles he was very good.

He is a tackling machine and I love to see those players in ManUtd shirt.

Woodward just needs to buy him the Dutch team, and you're sorted :)

Future does look brighter, but its gonna be awhile before he stamps his imprint on the team especially with the WC and new players coming in. Herrera is a great buy but DEF is still needed more than your options going forward. United still look great with the ball, and **** without it.

Yeah and also I would love to see us signing Blind. I'm impressed with him in the 4 games I watched and in those games he played as LWB,CB and CM and in all the roles he was very good.

He seems a real good player.. you get the sense that the Shaw deal is probably too far down the line for that not to happen now though.

Herrera deal done. Being reported across all outlets in Spain and England. Confirmed within 48 hours. €36M, which would have risen to €40M on July 1st which is why the move has accelerated.

Great signing.

Herrera deal done. Being reported across all outlets in Spain and England. Confirmed within 48 hours. €36M, which would have risen to €40M on July 1st which is why the move has accelerated.

Great signing.

I read about Herrera deal on FM base first then checked twitter and Telegraph.

If the deal is not done, I'm gonna chase you and kill you. :P

Great signing.

I honestly always like the look of the guy but how was his last season? I know Bilbao were really good but did he play a key part?

He seems a real good player.. you get the sense that the Shaw deal is probably too far down the line for that not to happen now though.

If the rumours Koeman has upped the price, is true cut your losses and take Blind for a 1/3 of the price.

Herrera already at Man U, on Wikipedia.. ffs.

If the rumours Koeman has upped the price, is true cut your losses and take Blind for a 1/3 of the price.

Well I heard a rumour that LVG didn't really want Shaw but Ed Woodward really wanted the deal to go through still... but surely if the manager has his eyes on someone else (Blind Blind Blind) we should just go for him.

Well I heard a rumour that LVG didn't really want Shaw but Ed Woodward really wanted the deal to go through still... but surely if the manager has his eyes on someone else (Blind Blind Blind) we should just go for him.

I've not seen enough of Blind to make a certain call, everyone on here is pretty much rating him from the Spain game, looks like he likes to get stuck in, looking at the Chile game (could have easliy picked up a booking or two), but one awesome cross and decent game. He only signed a new contract last April, till 2016 he might cost more than most people on here think.

Would be happy to go back to LB nows hes a CM, for a full season, he might be happy there once a month of Holland, but perm? never really know which players will strop when given less time on the ball.

Last edited:

Blind is a very solid players and had massive improvements in the last 3 years, but he's really slow. For example he got outsprinted by Sanchez. It was a bigger difference than Robben vs Ramos... That's also a reason why De Boer and Van Gaal see him more as a player for a central role, but the Netherlands don't have any better option for left back right now.

I think I'd personally still prefer Shaw... I mean the lad has it all... he's English and over-priced admittedly, but is undoubtedly a huge talent.

Now we need a fighter as Vidal or Carvalho on his side and the midfield seems like 200x better already.

Blind is a very solid players and had massive improvements in the last 3 years, but he's really slow. For example he got outsprinted by Sanchez. It was a bigger difference than Robben vs Ramos... That's also a reason why De Boer and Van Gaal see him more as a player for a central role, but the Netherlands don't have any better option for left back right now.

Yeah he looked bit slow but getting out paced by Sanchez it not a valid reason though as Sanchez is super quick.

Yeah I agree he is bit slow to play LB role but we need someone like him who covers most of the positions and good at it. Not to forget he has an eye for killer pass too if we go by his world cup performance.

Our CBs are injury prone, not good enough CM so he would be good choice for around 8-10 Million.

Back