The Manchester United Thread

Nani subbed off after he only came on at HT. Doesn't look good for him :(

I can't be done with valencia and young as our wingers or even worse wingbacks this season.

Young had a very good game as a wing back. Van Gaal will love him because of his versatility. Played well as a striker, LWB and RWB. Not sure what more can he do.

Also Valencia was good as RWB.

Nani subbed off after he only came on at HT. Doesn't look good for him :(

Looks so uninterested. Had 1 or 2 good moments like one two with Kagawa and shot at the goal but his game as a whole has regressed so badly it's unreal.

Also liked the confident Cleverley today. He was very confident and was not afraid to dribble, play expansive game and also make forward runs.

Young had a very good game as a wing back. Van Gaal will love him because of his versatility. Played well as a striker, LWB and RWB. Not sure what more can he do.

Also Valencia was good as RWB.

Was young doing his vintage run at someone, cut back and then do nothing but a wasteful cross or backwards pass?

Next couple of years if we wanna move forward the likes of young and valencia need to be gone.

Was young doing his vintage run at someone, cut back and then do nothing but a wasteful cross or backwards pass?

Next couple of years if we wanna move forward the likes of young and valencia need to be gone.

What do you expect your wingback to do? Dribble all by himself and score a goal?

Young was available for pass and he played some good passes and link up play. He had 1 or 2 wasteful cross but also few good crosses. More than crossing his passing was good, that's more than enough.

If young played as a winger then I would have said he had a poor game, but he was a wingback. He won the ball, passed it forward and always available as an option to pass.

So was it a dream opportunity when Manchester United came to you in April?
“I don't say it's a dream, because I am 62 and I know what I can do and I think Manchester United know what I can do and I think that is why they have come for me and they were not the only club.
“Tottenham Hotspur also came. I am not a child anymore, I know what I can do, but it’s fantastic because not any coach can work with the biggest clubs."

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal interview: the full transcript - Telegraph

His interview with Ogden, it's refreshing to see the honesty.

Young had pretty good pre season so far, this game against Inter was the same. For me close to MOTM.

'Van Gaal was impressed with Shaw's performance against the Serie A outfit, adding: "I think he did very good tonight. "He's working very hard. He was lucky today because I was going to play our friend Reece James, but he was a little bit injured.'.................................Interesting comment 'our friend Reece James' might be a big year for the lad

Last edited:
'Van Gaal was impressed with Shaw's performance against the Serie A outfit, adding: "I think he did very good tonight. "He's working very hard. He was lucky today because I was going to play our friend Reece James, but he was a little bit injured.'.................................Interesting comment 'our friend Reece James' might be a big year for the lad

I thought the same. Looks like Reece James will be promoted to the first team as a back up.

Well with Van Gaal confirming he wants a defender I'm pretty sure we must be confident of getting one.... I wonder if anyone can guess who....

Well with Van Gaal confirming he wants a defender I'm pretty sure we must be confident of getting one.... I wonder if anyone can guess who....

I'm not entirely sure. He said we are short of defenders as we sold Rio and Vidic and have to sign defenders but he said he likes Keane and Blackett. So who knows he is so impressed that he might want to promote them.

Young had pretty good pre season so far, this game against Inter was the same. For me close to MOTM.

Young has done very well so far. For someone who looked like he was going to be sold, he's quickly learning to be a utility player in both Wingback positions and the 10/running striker roles. Oddly he could make himself more valuable now than at any point in his United career, despite less winger opportunities.

Now that's what you want to see from young players.

He cut short his three-week break after the World Cup to return to United training a week early, but still felt he was not at the level he wants to be at.
With United's matches coming thick and fast in the United States, a large part of the first-team training is geared around playing games and recovery.
Shaw felt he needed more intensive pre-season fitness work and asked United officials whether he could do extra training with Strudwick to make sure he is in the best possible condition in time for the opening game against Swansea on Aug 16.
Van Gaal spoke personally to Shaw about the personal training programme and it is understood both men are happy with the agreement

Luke Shaw requested extra training as Louis van Gaal prepares Manchester United for Premier League season - Telegraph

Young definitely looks good so far, so does Valencia, btw. Adapting them as wing backs may best idea yet. They're both not good enough as wingers, and played backup as fullbacks on occasion. Wing-back for them seems perfect.

Be great to flog Fellaini for 15m+ to Napoli. Get another CM then, I honestly would like Schneiderlin.

Back