The Manchester United Thread

Those asking about Cuadrado: He would be lethal in either wingback position, and lethal in either wide advanced position when we play 4-3-3. He'd be both out best winger and best wingback if we got him. He is perfect for LVGs systems

Rafael is not out for long and Valencia was not bad on tour and LVG rates him, plus Young can play there also we have 3 quality RWBs in the Reserves Cuadrado is not needed imo.
I would not count on RWBs in the reserves, and I doubt Vermiji, Janko or Varela are ready if LVG didn't even bother to bring them to the tour. Cuadrado should not be our primary target, but that doesn't mean he is not needed.

Valencia will probably be backup and rafael is unreliable in more ways than one, he'll choose barca anyway so.

Cuadrado is needed imo as he is quality and valencia is not.
Sorry but were not going to have 3 RWBs the only way I can see this working is if we change to 433. By the way I do rate Cuadrado just no need for 3 RWBs plus Young can play there and we have 3 good RWBs in the Reserves.

Sorry but were not going to have 3 RWBs the only way I can see this working is if we change to 433. By the way I do rate Cuadrado just no need for 3 RWBs plus Young can play there and we have 3 good RWBs in the Reserves.

There isnt a wing back in the side ( and I include Shaw) who is on Cuadrado's level.

There also isnt a winger in the side on his level.

Those asking about Cuadrado: He would be lethal in either wingback position, and lethal in either wide advanced position when we play 4-3-3. He'd be both out best winger and best wingback if we got him. He is perfect for LVGs systems
If he comes which I would not mind, what would that mean for the other 2? I can see him being perfect in 433!

I would not count on RWBs in the reserves, and I doubt Vermiji, Janko or Varela are ready if LVG didn't even bother to bring them to the tour. Cuadrado should not be our primary target, but that doesn't mean he is not needed.
He did not take coz numbers were full and wanted to take a look at the other players.

If he comes which I would not mind, what would that mean for the other 2? I can see him being perfect in 433!

Fight it out most likely. Bear in mind Rafael is very injury prone. also we would be able to move into 4-3-3 at will with Caudrado. This is something Van Gaal very much wants to be able to do

Well maybe valencia isn't good enough which he isn't anymore and LVG might not rate Rafael, plus switching from wingbacks to 4-3-3 with cuadrado in the team is perfect.

People need to stop rating rafael so much and relying on the likes of valencia, we need a step up in quality and cuadrado is that.

Well maybe valencia isn't good enough which he isn't anymore and LVG might not rate Rafael, plus switching from wingbacks to 4-3-3 with cuadrado in the team is perfect.

People need to stop rating rafael so much and relying on the likes of valencia, we need a step up in quality and cuadrado is that.
Rate Valencia enough to give him a new long term contract. I just don't see him as a priority signing that's all, not saying he would not be a good one!

Rely on Rafael, and offload Valencia, if we somehow do manage to get Cuadrado. Having all 3 is useless. I never stated Cuadrado was a waste, I stated we needed to offload Valencia if we got Cuadrado - made more strange by that new contract we supposedly gave him.

Rate Valencia enough to give him a new long term contract. I just don't see him as a priority signing that's all, not saying he would not be a good one!

A CM and CB is needed more but after that a top winger is crucial and just so happens he is also class at wingback, perfect signing.

But like i said not a chance he'll choose united over barca.

A CM and CB is needed more but after that a top winger is crucial and just so happens he is also class at wingback, perfect signing.
The only way I can see this working if Rafa is sold in Jan coz he wont go now due to injury and Valencia signed new contact.

He did not take coz numbers were full and wanted to take a look at the other players.
Well let's face it, if the players were not brought to the tour even though strictly speaking there is no RB/RWB in the squad, it speaks volume about how much LVG rates them.

We could still offload Valencia even though he had signed a new contract, it's just that it might be more troublesome. If we didn't manage to do it in time for this window there is still the next transfer window. Getting quality in is the crucial one this transfer window, getting rid of player isn't, because we already have a relatively smaller/less expensive squad than last season in terms of wages. Not saying that it would be ideal, but it is something that we can live with.

Last edited:
The only way I can see this working if Rafa is sold in Jan coz he wont go now due to injury and Valencia signed new contact.

New contracts don't really mean anything, was surprised he got one though i think he's time is/was up.

We had Valencia and Rafa so we did.
Valencia = RW/RM
Rafael = injured

Maybe we brought one RB, but that's about it. I firmly believe that the 3 "quality" RWB that you mentioned of in our reserves isn't good enough for our first team.

Is he? i thought Louis liked technical footballs that can play a quikc passing or possesion game.

But he did like kuyt for holland so.
He looks for other things in players - Experience, Good work rate and attitude and who is good for team and dressing room aswell as other things, has said this in interview.

Valencia = RW/RM
Rafael = injured

Maybe we brought one RB, but that's about it. I firmly believe that the 3 "quality" RWB that you mentioned of in our reserves isn't good enough for our first team.
He wanted to see Valencia play in his new system as RWB/RB and Rafa was not injured. Warren Joyce has spoken to LVG about the quality in our Reserves he said this before one of the friendlies pre season.

Back