The Manchester United Thread

I'd take a lot of CM's right now, regardless of how they'd fit, we simply can't have Cleverley & Anderson as the only backups. It's literally beyond desperation now in my eyes. We're weaker now than we were last season and even that's saying something, admittedly Carrick's injury can't be helped but it doesn't make it any better either if we just expect this to be good enough for top 4, let alone any hope of a title this season.

If they dont fit then whats the point?

If they dont fit then whats the point?

Well yes ideally they need to fit, but you know, if we did turn down Kroos how silly do we look now (he probably just chose RM over us).. supposedly he wouldn't of fitted but IMO he definitely would, we've lacked that player who can properly dictate play (kind of like how Scholes did).

Tbf I may of over-exaggerated, but we just can't have Cleverley & Anderson as backup options, it's beyond bad.

Well yes ideally they need to fit, but you know, if we did turn down Kroos how silly do we look now (he probably just chose RM over us).. supposedly he wouldn't of fitted but IMO he definitely would, we've lacked that player who can properly dictate play (kind of like how Scholes did).

Tbf I may of over-exaggerated, but we just can't have Cleverley & Anderson as backup options, it's beyond bad.

My guess ( and I stress this is a guess) is that LVG asked him if he was set on United and Kroos probably gave him an honest answer so LVG moved on.

My guess ( and I stress this is a guess) is that LVG asked him if he was set on United and Kroos probably gave him an honest answer so LVG moved on.

Just to make matters worse, lets not ignore the fact that, Fletcher was very poor on Saturday. Whilst we can't judge a player on 1 game, we know that Fletcher has been constantly questioned as to whether he can still perform near his best at this level, in my opinion it's a no, especially as it has to be consistently performing as well.

Pre season is a whole different game, I'm sorry we really can't use it.

Just to make matters worse, lets not ignore the fact that, Fletcher was very poor on Saturday. Whilst we can't judge a player on 1 game, we know that Fletcher has been constantly questioned as to whether he can still perform near his best at this level, in my opinion it's a no, especially as it has to be consistently performing as well.

Pre season is a whole different game, I'm sorry we really can't use it.

How can it be no when he performed last season?

We cant use an entire pre-season, but we can use one game? Not buying that at all

How can it be no when he performed last season?

We cant use an entire pre-season, but we can use one game? Not buying that at all

We don't know how good he was performing last season, as it was all below par, I don't remember a game where I thought he was anything better than average.

Anyway I said we can't judge him on 1 competitive game this season, but at the moment we're relying on him and he had a very poor game, I'm not convinced he'll ever be the same player we want him to be.

Courtesy of someones kind translation on RedCafe... great read on our new player Marcos Rojo and what to expect.

This is the Tor-Kristian Karlsen article translated to English.
Just a few things to note first: I'm danish, so there's a few differences between the two languages which was kinda difficult for me to translate, also i've just come home from an 8-hour school day, so i apologize for any spelling and grammar mistakes i've made.

United wanted Hummels, but gets Rojo. Should the United-fans be pleased?
He’s not a player that the best clubs out there would choose if they get to pick any defender they wanted, but with that said there’s a couple of things that you can’t forget that makes this decision make more sense: Manchester United doesn’t play in the Champions League this season and because of that it’s unrealistic for them to attract players such as Hummels, Höwedes or Varane, just to mention a few of the names that’s being mentioned as ‘’statement signings’’.

Secondly it seems that Louis van Gaal has been very specific with his desire of acquiring a left footed central defender, who presumably will be used as the left sided central defender in a 3-man defense, and with that in mind the signing of Rojo begins to seem more logical.

In a 3-man defense the central defenders have to be more flexible and cover more towards the sidelines, than they’d have to do in a 2-man defense.

And as we saw during the World Cup I anticipate that Van Gaal wants at least one of his central defenders to have freedom to contribute offensively, and with these things in mind I think Rojo could fit in very well.

United acquires a central defender, but is that good enough compared to their rivals?
It might sound a bit strange, but I don’t think that a quality central defender would be the difference for Manchester to be a title contender or not.

Let’s not forget that Manchester City has won 2 league titles with just 1 quality central defender – Vincent Kompany – while those that has played alongside him – Nastasic, Lescott or Demichelis – has been considered as the weak spots for them. Liverpool were in the title race right to the finish line with rotation in their central defense, where all combinations was considered ‘unsatisfying’, and it’s not until now with Lovrens arrival that they seem to have found the answer.

I think what happens with Manchester United midfield and forward will be more decisive of how their season will go.

What can you say about his strengths and weaknesses?
First and foremost he’s a fast and move around very well, which is good qualities as a central defender when you have to press up high. Enthusiastic and intense in his style of play, reaches his opponents quickly and base his a lot of his effectiveness on reading the game and breaking in front of his opponent.

This style of play naturally doesn’t come without any risk, when you encounter as much as Rojo does – even without ‘insurance’ (back up) – it can be pretty ugly at times when he fails. He’ll have to work on his timing to not run into trouble in a league where the ball and players runs around as a flipper game.

Besides that he’s very willing to take part offensively, both from a wingback position, but also as a central defender. Even though he often does offensive runs, I haven’t noticed him contribute with a lot that’s resulted into goals and his left foot is more about power than precision.

As most argentine defenders he’s fearless, he loves duels – both as a wingback and aerial duels – so the physical aspect that’s often mentioned as a threat to newcomers in the Premier League won’t be a problem for him, I believe. As most of his fellow argentines he’s got a temper as well, but I don’t see that as a negative. The threshold for ‘’dirty tricks’’ and rough play is higher in the Premier League than other leagues and it’s often temperamental players from Latin-America that succeed in England.

So where’s he best? As a pure wingback, in a 2-man central defense or as the left sided central defender in a 3-man defense?
I think that when you add up all of his qualities, it’ll suit him very well to play as a central defender in a 3-man defense. In that system he’s allowed to play with high risk, contribute offensively and give his side an extra ‘dimension’ as the ‘’adventurous’’ central defender. As a wingback he loses a bit of the ‘edge’ that makes him a quite unique central defender.

You could say that Marcos Rojo is build as a central defender, but his style of play is like a wingback.

Will he be able to grow more as a player under Louis van Gaal?
Defender, especially central defender has a tendency to develop a lot later than players ahead of them on the field. That’s primarily because the key to good defending is all about reading the situation and being able to put yourself in the right spot. Rojo is as everyone knows not a ‘’talent’’ anymore, but there’s still room for him to adjust certain elements of his game. I like it a lot that he’s enthusiastic when he’s on the field, something that I consider as sign of willingness to learn.

So all in all: A desperate buy or a good alternative?
Time will tell whether the Argentine will be a success or not, but I don’t get the negativity that Manchester United fans feel about this transfer. Although it’s probably about the timing.
If the club had already bought a big name, Rojo could probably have been welcomed with open arms?

Perhaps Manchester United should’ve bought a central defender earlier, but I’d like to believe that the club management had identified a specific profile that they need in the squad and that Rojo was the one who ticked to most boxes accordingly.

I’ve been wrong before, but I’ve got a feeling that Marcos Rojo with his honest, enthusiastic, all action-type of play, has the potential to become a favourite on Old Trafford.​

He puts it better than I ever could. Btw he is one journalist you really listen to on player talent. He is a former technical director, CEO and Chief scout, worked at Monaco among others.

He was bang on about Costa Rica months before the world cup, got mocked by some on twitter, but was completely proven correct. Definitely worth following.

He puts it better than I ever could. Btw he is one journalist you really listen to on player talent. He is a former technical director, CEO and Chief scout, worked at Monaco among others.

He was bang on about Costa Rica months before the world cup, got mocked by some on twitter, but was completely proven correct. Definitely worth following.

One interesting statement from his article is this: -

I think what happens with Manchester United midfield and forward will be more decisive of how their season will go.

One interesting statement from his article is this: -

I agree, I'd much rather have a high calibre mid than a high calibre defender.

Speaking of which. Fellaini has done his ligaments apparently. So we may yet keep Powell and almost certainly need to dip into the market. You might just get Blind after all (H)

I agree, I'd much rather have a high calibre mid than a high calibre defender.

Speaking of which. Fellaini has done his ligaments apparently. So we may yet keep Powell and almost certainly need to dip into the market. You might just get Blind after all (H)

Genuinely can't think of anyone else, apart from Khedira. Maybe LVG has a trick up his sleeve just like no one would of ever guessed Rojo.

Fiorentina have given Manchester United 4 days' time (until Saturday) to sign Juan Cuadrado. [La Nazione]

---

Time to reignite another one of them rumours.

Back