The Manchester United Thread

SSN reporting that we will assess the fitness of Herrera and Smalling ahead of MK Dons match tomorrow night. Would not risk them myself!

what i dont get is he is a good player then we get him and its like he does not know how to play football wtf went wrong

With ADM in we ll actually be very close to having a perfect window - get in Guarin/De Jong (I want Vidal bunt cant see it happening now) plus Benatia (I know he's going to Bayern but he's EXACTLY what we need) and it ll be awesome.

Dunno much about Lucas Silva(?) btw who may well be a brill option at cm instead of the above.

Urmmmmm, forgetting a certain Jonny Evans?

;)

No mate Im not. He tends to make too many errors if not partnered with a better player and also tends to get injured too much. Point Im making is that Im comfortable with him plus benatia (or a benatia type player) rather than him and blackett or even jones. Same goes for jones and smalling. They are unstable together.

Also if Rojo plays at cb you need deffo a proper right wingback instead (or preferably as well as) a cb.

No mate Im not. He tends to make too many errors if not partnered with a better player and also tends to get injured too much. Point Im making is that Im comfortable with him plus benatia (or a benatia type player) rather than him and blackett or even jones. Same goes for jones and smalling. They are unstable together.

Also if Rojo plays at cb you need deffo a proper right wingback instead (or preferably as well as) a cb.

Don't worry, I was joking. I like Evans but I don't think he is a leader type of CB. I think Jones should be a first choice CB as he has been strong on and off the ball, tracking players well and he has seemed to stop making rash tackles and I think he has been one if not the best players these first few games( not saying much I know, but still)

Urmmmmm, forgetting a certain Jonny Evans?

;)

I don't think Evans is the dominant leader style of CB who puts fear into players like Vidic, Stam, all the typical ones we have had in the past.

Plus he constantly picks up niggly injuries.

I agree with TheatreOfDreams we need to start dictating and controlling games in midfield, that will only happen if we get a player like De Jong, someone with aggression and can win the ball back, also help give back four protection, this is our biggest weakness atm.

I don't think Evans is the dominant leader style of CB who puts fear into players like Vidic, Stam, all the typical ones we have had in the past.

Plus he constantly picks up niggly injuries.

I agree with TheatreOfDreams we need to start dictating and controlling games in midfield, that will only happen if we get a player like De Jong, someone with aggression and can win the ball back, also help give back four protection, this is our biggest weakness atm.

I was joking guys, next time I will do bigger winky faces :D

Hold on... so if the defence is improved, that shall make the issue of our weak midfield better? Sorry don't get that logic, midfield has been the biggest issue for a long time now, one signing of Herrera does not solve it, we're lacking a destroyer, or a ball-winning aggressive midfielder and have done for some time. Someone to just protect the defence better in some way.

Just look at the game against Swansea, we struggled against Shelvey and Ki!

Improving our defence won't make Cleverley, Fletcher, Anderson or Fellaini any better. Or suddenly match them to a role we need in our midfield either.

Cattermole was MOTM yesterday.. says a lot huh?

No, it doesn't really. It just says that our midfield is sub-standard, which clearly needs improvement.

It's evident that it needs more depth, and that has been long-standing since before last season. Even during our league treble, the same issues were still raised. Whether Scholes, Hargreaves and Fletcher could work in partnership after Keane's departure. If Hargreaves could maintain fitness long enough to be relied on. If Fletcher was up to scratch.

And even so we still managed to compete fiercely on most fronts. In the league and in Europe. It was a great back four and an arsenal of attacking options that did help mitigate the problems we had in the middle. Playing the likes of Ji-Sung Park to counter the opponents' threats centrally was never a solid plan, but having two world-class defenders did (Ferdinand, Vidic), as well as a goalkeeper (Van Der Sar) and reliable full backs (Evra, Neville) did.

The point isn't to make the midfield better through the defence.

Last edited:
Back