The Manchester United Thread

Why would we need Bale though? Di Maria has been **** this season by his standards but he's played mostly as the left of a midfield 3 and the odd game on the right when we changed formation. If we played a more attacking style with Di Maria as the left winger/inside forward I dont see a problem. Even as an out an out right winger he could do a job with Depay on the left if we get him. I really dont see the point in carting off Di Maria and making a big loss for Bale just yet. Next season maybe, after Bale has had yet another year of stick from Madrid fans and they force the club to sell to make way for the next big thing.

Di Maria will play through the middle/be a left option. He's not going to be carted off as we need 4 wingers and will have a lot more games next season. He's also not a goal scorer in the same way Bale has been, but is a brilliant creator. The whole aim is to build a squad that almost rivals Bayern/Barca/Madrid. Di Maria's issue isnt a positional one, but one of adapting and getting over other off the field issues.

Has 10 assists and creates more chances a game than anyone else in the side (2 a game). Allows us to play a very different style when needed (instead of Fellaini at times)

Last edited:
What's good with Bale is the the way his movement actually creates space, even when not the target. On the left his outside to inside movement is perfect for both Fellaini (doing what he has been doing all season with that attack the left channel for the direct pass) or Di Maria (who likes to move wide before striking the shot, creating a through ball, or crossing).

It's a similar build up on the right when Herrera drifts wide allowing Mata to move inside and shoot.

It's also why overlapping full backs are key.

Bear in mind: There would be times we have to rest/cover Herrera too. Di Maria can do that, though not as good defensively. He gives us a quality attacking threat from all across the pitch, and allows different approaches. Something we will need if we are serious about the title and Europe.

Last edited:
Manchester United
@ManUtd Louis van Gaal tells #MUTV that Wayne Rooney is fit to face West Brom. More from the boss: http://bit.ly/1zygwfM

Manchester United

@ManUtd

The manager also tells #MUTV that Phil Jones is fit but will have his match rhythm assessed, while Robin van Persie is available.

Manchester United

@ManUtd
However, van Gaal says Luke Shaw is out due to a groin problem and Jonny Evans is also injured. #MUTV

Manchester United

@ManUtd
The boss thinks #mufc aren't far off from being title contenders: "You've seen our matches against the top clubs. There is not a big gap."

Manchester United

@ManUtd
Louis van Gaal has confirmed Michael Carrick will miss Saturday's game vs West Brom. #mufc

Its looking likely that rooney will play CM...with persie up front...

Especially with LVG's romance with van persie

Should stick Di Maria or Pereira in CM and Leave Rooney up top

De Gea
Valencia- Smalling-Jones-Blind
Fellaini-Herrera-Periera
Mata- Rooney-Di Maria :)

Its looking likely that rooney will play CM...with persie up front...

Especially with LVG's romance with van persie

Really? I can understand that being said at the start of the season, but now? LvG has shown he isn't reluctant to drop RvP at all.

Keep Calm and carry on posting Theatreof Dreams :)

The only way we buy both Bale and Depay would be selling Di Maria. I'd rather Depay and Di Maria at this moment in time, allowing us to spend elsewhere. I'd also rather go all out for Reus than Bale in all honesty, but there is more risk there.

That's because he's been injured/not match fit

Don't kid yourself, he's probably been ready to play for the past couple of matches. LvG is too pragmatic to bother with romance, he wants to win, and he'll go with the people who'll do the job for the team. The romance business came into focus because of the Dutch connection anyhow, LvG has always maintained that the only undroppable player for him is the captain, and generally the GK.

Besides, RvP came out and stated that he was worried about United not extending his contract, I highly doubt that would be the scenario if this romance bullshit still was present.

Keep Calm and carry on posting Theatreof Dreams :)

The only way we buy both Bale and Depay would be selling Di Maria. I'd rather Depay and Di Maria at this moment in time, allowing us to spend elsewhere. I'd also rather go all out for Reus than Bale in all honesty, but there is more risk there.
Cheers mate! Cant see us selling Di Maria especially after LVG has said he will be very important to us next season. Bale will be almost impossible to get, and I agree I would rather Depay and finish the rest of the squad. But at same time if we can do both im all for it :)

Don't kid yourself, he's probably been ready to play for the past couple of matches. LvG is too pragmatic to bother with romance, he wants to win, and he'll go with the people who'll do the job for the team. The romance business came into focus because of the Dutch connection anyhow, LvG has always maintained that the only undroppable player for him is the captain, and generally the GK.

Besides, RvP came out and stated that he was worried about United not extending his contract, I highly doubt that would be the scenario if this romance bullshit still was present.

Van gaal also doesn't like the rush players back into the team since they lack "match rhythm"

Face it, i have no doubt that had van persie been fit, rooney would still be a central mid and herrera would still be on the bench

Manchester United
@ManUtd Louis van Gaal on Pereira deal: "Andreas has all the attributes to become an integral part of the first team." #mufc

CD7_WTFVIAA95j-.jpg

http://t.co/EGUrdqO37U

Back