The Manchester United Thread

What?! You need to let go of this mythical aura thing for a start.

Secondly Pep having the players at United isn't even up for debate, they would listen to every world. He was a world class player who became a world class manager.

It's not mythical, Fergie always had a presence on and away from the touchline as a manager, had virtually total control over players and media, very few managers have that. Just don't think Pep's profile necessarily fits in to what has been successful for the greatest managers at United.

It's not mythical, Fergie always had a presence on and away from the touchline as a manager, had virtually total control over players and media, very few managers have that. Just don't think Pep's profile necessarily fits in to what has been successful for the greatest managers at United.

More than aura, Fergie commanded both fear and respect equally. It was not just respect out of his ability or what his achievements were, there was fear about when Fergie was around. Ofc, I don't even need to talk about Sir Matt Busby, the old school managers were something else. Pep commands respect yes, but don't think that fear is present.

I'd have thought that out of current managers, LvG would probably be the only one who could command both respect and fear, but he's turned out to be pretty friendly and likeable in his first year - not at all like the pant-dropping, ball-showing manager that Ribery doesn't like. Shame though, that would've been entertaining in the PL xD

But anyhow, amongst current managers, I don't think there's any manager who comes close to the fear-respect combination. Plenty of managers command tons of respect, but the fear isn't there too much. Only one I can see getting to that level is Simeone in the future, and that is if he doesn't burn himself out before that.

This fear talk is all bollocks tbh. As long as the players respect the manager and fight and play for him that's all that matters. Pep would be a fantastic replacement to take over from LVG. Who ever thinks otherwise is a fool. Quality manager.

This fear talk is all bollocks tbh. As long as the players respect the manager and fight and play for him that's all that matters. Pep would be a fantastic replacement to take over from LVG. Who ever thinks otherwise is a fool. Quality manager.

There's a reason why the hair-dryer treatment by Fergie is legendary. I don't really think any other manager could get away with it, and that's because of a reason. Fear is a strong motivator also, and it's dumb to think otherwise.

As for Pep taking over from LvG, I dunno.. I like Ancellotti more, has the tendency to adapt better than Pep (personal opinion).

There's a reason why the hair-dryer treatment by Fergie is legendary. I don't really think any other manager could get away with it, and that's because of a reason. Fear is a strong motivator also, and it's dumb to think otherwise.

As for Pep taking over from LvG, I dunno.. I like Ancellotti more, has the tendency to adapt better than Pep (personal opinion).
Im sure players don't fear Mou,Carlo,Enriquez,Alegri ETC. Respect is a lot more important than fear. Yes call me dumb ouch that hurts lol. Carlo is good manager but his league record is beyond shocking were ever he has been.

Im sure players don't fear Mou,Carlo,Enriquez,Alegri ETC. Respect is a lot more important than fear. Yes call me dumb ouch that hurts lol. Carlo is good manager but his league record is beyond shocking were ever he has been.

Yeah, I know, I'm not denying the respect part. The thing was that Fergie had both fear and respect. Kind of a lethal combination. I'm not stating whether or not Fergie would have been so feared even now, with all the ****** agents and what not, but he definitely commanded both fear and respect, which made players play their skins out instead of just turning up for games;;

Yeah, I know, I'm not denying the respect part. The thing was that Fergie had both fear and respect. Kind of a lethal combination. I'm not stating whether or not Fergie would have been so feared even now, with all the ****** agents and what not, but he definitely commanded both fear and respect, which made players play their skins out instead of just turning up for games;;
Players will play out of there skins and give there all for a manger they respect also. Fear really isn't important imo

Players will play out of there skins and give there all for a manger they respect also. Fear really isn't important imo

I think it is, one aspect for example would be a player is not playing well he has to have a fear of losing his place in the team? This comes back to Moyes where he would constantly pick our best player despite how **** they've been, compare that to LVG this season and Di Maria, he isn't afraid of the implications to do stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Tj8tfWLpyaw Here a little vid of our u18 player of the year winner Axel Tuanzebe. Hes gonna be a beast of a CB in a year or 2. Has everything Pace,Power,Passing,Tackling,Heading the lot. Him with Mensah at DM will be quality to watch.

Tuanzebe is very highly rated by the club and he is rated as our future CB.

We have few excellent prospects in U18s.
Tuanzebe
Fimothy Fosu Mensah
Tyler Reid
Gribbin
RoShaun Williams
Rashford
Borthwick-Jackson

Not all of them will make it but they will have good careers.

Also few good prospects in U16 too, read about few like Gomes.

Today we have game against City and we might see young team. Gribbin is likely to play for U21.

Tuanzebe is very highly rated by the club and he is rated as our future CB.

We have few excellent prospects in U18s.
Tuanzebe
Fimothy Fosu Mensah
Tyler Reid
Gribbin
RoShaun Williams
Rashford
Borthwick-Jackson

Not all of them will make it but they will have good careers.

Also few good prospects in U16 too, read about few like Gomes.

Today we have game against City and we might see young team. Gribbin is likely to play for U21.
Those 7 have been great this season. Also Demi Mitchell till he got injured.

I think it is, one aspect for example would be a player is not playing well he has to have a fear of losing his place in the team? This comes back to Moyes where he would constantly pick our best player despite how **** they've been, compare that to LVG this season and Di Maria, he isn't afraid of the implications to do stuff like that.
Sorry I dsagree most top managers in world football these days don't have the so called fear factor.

Sorry I dsagree most top managers in world football these days don't have the so called fear factor.

Mourinho isn't scared to substitute players in the first half, **** I think he made 3 changes in the opening half of a game once at Chelsea. It's not direct fear, but it's the same principle, if a player knows that if they are performing below par, the manager will replace them at any time. Probably not only a fear factor but more humiliation as well, it's different approaches but ultimately it's the same point.

Mourinho isn't scared to substitute players in the first half, **** I think he made 3 changes in the opening half of a game once. It's not direct fear, but it's the same principle, if a player knows that if they are performing below par, the manager will replace them at any time. Probably not only a fear factor but more humiliation as well, it's different approaches but ultimately it's the same point.
So basically the same as what Pep did with Muller then, which caused him to kick off in the process. Which led to all the paper talk about him leaving. Pep is not afraid to leave out players that's for sure or publicly take sly digs at them either.

So basically the same as what Pep did with Muller then, which caused him to kick off in the process. Which led to all the paper talk about him leaving. Pep is not afraid to leave out players that's for sure or publicly take sly digs at them either.

Not saying Pep doesn't use any, you were just saying that fear is BS in todays game from top managers.

Back