The Manchester United Thread

No thanks to Song.

Hear hear! or to Alves.

Also lets face it DDG WILL go. Otherwise why hasnt he signed or said anything about staying ?!!

Also, for the CM position - and since Im not convinced GUNDOGAN is the same player after his injury - we should consider the younger KONDOGBIA.

You have pretty much just summed up everything ive been saying already. We are already building a team and style of play that will regularly have 70% of possession and defending from the front. Our problem has been not taking our chances when we have them. Which is why I said we need more pace, directness and cutting edge up front. The 0-0 v Hull and the 1-0 v Chelsea wouldnt have mattered if we took our chances. Along with loads of other games. Also we need a solid defence and a leader at the back, which will stop teams from getting most shots off in the first place.

The GK part would be covered by Begovic like I keep saying. Good at coming for crosses, strong in the air, not a bad shot stopper and solid all round keeper. He knows the league well.

If De Gea goes, Begovic will do. We have already laid the foundations of a team which can keep the ball and defend as a team. Sort out a defender which can lead from the back, a quality screen infront of the back 4 and someone to put the ball in the net consistently and we are laughing. No major overhaul needed. Just 3 quality players to go into the starting 11.

Just because we are averaging over 60% possession doesn't put us anywhere near Barca team. They got away with Vales in the goal but we can't.

Btw I agree, Begovic is a good choice but he is clearly level or 2 below De Gea. Still as solid replacement as they get when it comes to choosing from the league.

Hear hear! or to Alves.

Also lets face it DDG WILL go. Otherwise why hasnt he signed or said anything about staying ?!!

Dani Alves would be fantastic signing at least for short term. His performances against big wingers is class and never get outpaced. His recovery pace is unreal and also his ability on the ball.

Dani Alves would be fantastic signing at least for short term. His performances against big wingers is class and never get outpaced. His recovery pace is unreal and also his ability on the ball.

Not really on Alves, wouldn't be bad but is it what we really need? We should be building something and I don't see how signing Alves is an exception to LVG's philosophy considering his age. He'll demand big wages, more than suspect defensively - his pace does help him recover a lot though, mayswell just get Clyne/Darmian/another younger option out there and make them become the finished article. Barca will do exactly that if they let him go so why can't we?

What I am failing to see is why we always can't sign these players BEFORE they are made REALLY big, Otamendi at Porto, Vidal at Leverkusen - the list goes on and on. Our scouts and transfer policy should be based around getting good quality players who can fit into the first team but whilst also thinking of the future. To be fair Depay is an example of this, but lets face it that was all down to LVG. Compare that to Di Maria who we ended up spunking on from Real Madrid, why couldn't we of been someone who got him at Benfica in the first place. Atletico and Dortmund are amongst quite a few clubs who do this kind of thing really well.

We seem to do it moreso with English players these days such as Shaw, Smalling and Jones but no so with foreign players, kind of disappointing because there is plenty of talent out there, saves us shedding out so much in the first place and putting a lot of pressure on players who may not live up to the hype anyway.

For striker option we should go for Lacazette rather than spending so much on Higuain/Benzema, totally pointless doing it, Rooney will be first choice no matter what.

Last edited:
Yeh but that's suggesting that we never had alternatives, which is wrong, quite a few good RB's, Darmian and Clyne should be a priority over him.
Im not saying he would be my first, but would be good on a free and has had a good season. Clyne and Darmian are good but still not great tbh. Cant see Clyne leaving now anyway.

Not really on Alves, wouldn't be bad but is it what we really need? We should be building something and I don't see how signing Alves is an exception to LVG's philosophy considering his age. He'll demand big wages, more than suspect defensively - his pace does help him recover a lot though, mayswell just get Clyne/Darmian/another younger option out there and make them become the finished article. Barca will do exactly that if they let him go so why can't we?

Dani Alves is underrated as a defender. Much better than Valencia and I don't think Clyne is all that. Dani Alves is a winner, his game is fantastic even when he was at Sevilla. He can run all day long and still can make a full length sprint. We can build for future and sign better RBs in year or 2 but as a short term we should be signing quality players. Also building for the future doesn't mean we can't sign old players. We can sign old and wait for right young players.

What I am failing to see is why we always can't sign these players BEFORE they are made REALLY big, Otamendi at Porto, Vidal at Leverkusen - the list goes on and on. Our scouts and transfer policy should be based around getting good quality players who can fit into the first team but whilst also thinking of the future. To be fair Depay is an example of this, but lets face it that was all down to LVG. Compare that to Di Maria who we ended up spunking on from Real Madrid, why couldn't we of been someone who got him at Benfica in the first place. Atletico and Dortmund are amongst quite a few clubs who do this kind of thing really well.

Vidal was a huge shame, I was a big fan of his right from Leverkusen days, we should have signed him as he wasn't even prospect when playing for Leverkusen, he was class player already. Otamendi, I don't know how he was at Porto.

Also tbh we signed few excellent young prospects like Nani, Anderson, Smalling, Jones, Rafael, Fabio. Few players develop well and some won't. Porto and other clubs makes many signings and only who makes it big makes the news. Also players get enough game time at smaller clubs to develop than at bigger clubs with enormous pressure.

We seem to do it moreso with English players these days such as Shaw, Smalling and Jones but no so with foreign players, kind of disappointing because there is plenty of talent out there, saves us shedding out so much in the first place and putting a lot of pressure on players who may not live up to the hype anyway.

Utd's defence desperately needs defenders first and foremost.

Darmian is that who can contribute pushing forward.

Alves is the opposite, far better forward than he is defensively.

I appreciate the need for attacking full backs/ wing backs in the way Van Gaal plays, but I'd take the full back that can defend properly first and foremost ANY day of the week personally. Throw in the age difference and it's a no brainer to me.

Last edited:

Because we can't just buy every hot prospect and hope they come good. that isn't smart.

Tbf Vidal wasn't really a hot prospect, he was already a class player and i agree with him on that one that he'd have been the one to sign back then.

Hear hear! or to Alves.

Also, for the CM position - and since Im not convinced GUNDOGAN is the same player after his injury - we should consider the younger KONDOGBIA.

Maybe DDG isn't sure...

Utd's defence desperately needs defenders first and foremost.

Darmian is that who can contribute pushing forward.

Alves is the opposite, far better forward than he is defensively.

I appreciate the need for an attacking full backs/ wing backs in the way Van Gaal plays, but I'd take the full back that can defend properly first and foremost ANY day of the week personally. Throw in the age difference and it's a no brainer to me.

Dani Alves is a good defender. He was second or third best player against Bayern in Semi Finals, that's the kind of players we should be signing.

Some really average players being suggested now, we have the money and status to aim much higher.

I like Begovic as a 'keeper and a man, but his biggest weakness is De Gea's biggest strength, and something that every modern day goalkeeper needs: Distribution. He's a decent, fairly cheap option, but not much of an upgrade on Valdes imo.
I'd like Lloris but he'd be expensive. Keep Valdes or take a punt on Leno.

Defensively, we need to replace Evans and Rafael. Smalling has come on a lot over the course of a season, but we cannot trust him to stay injury free. I wouldn't mind going for Hummels, or Otamendi to an extent, but don't see them as a massive upgrade to be honest as neither have been tested in this league. There is a genuine lack of quality central defenders these days, so we should go younger and build for the future. We can look at Marquinos or Laporte, but Varane is unrealistic. I'd go all out for Stones, he has massive potential. Alves is a decent short term option at right back, with Darmian or Coleman as a longer term investment.

We need to be aiming for an upgrade on our midfield, that is, an upgrade on Fellaini. Carrick and Herrera are top quality, we just need a player who can cover for one or both, or play alongside them. See Schweinsteiger, Vidal, Pogba for the high end player, or Aranguiz, Kranevitter, Kovacic for a more left field option.

We probably need another top, top winger if we let Nani leave. It seems that Bale, Ronaldo and Sterling would be a stretch, so I'd go all out for Marco Reus, love the guy. Like Depay, he can play anywhere across the front. If not, Griezmann would be a player I'd like, but again, unrealistic. And I've always like Draxler as a left field option, although he's gone off the boil a bit.

Let Falcao, Van Persie and Hernandez go, and we'll need at least one forward. If Wilson goes on loan, we'd need two. I'd try and prise one of Lewandowski or Muller from Bayern, or take a chance on Lacazette or Higuain.

Some really average players being suggested now, we have the money and status to aim much higher.

I like Begovic as a 'keeper and a man, but his biggest weakness is De Gea's biggest strength, and something that every modern day goalkeeper needs: Distribution. He's a decent, fairly cheap option, but not much of an upgrade on Valdes imo.
I'd like Lloris but he'd be expensive. Keep Valdes or take a punt on Leno.

Defensively, we need to replace Evans and Rafael. Smalling has come on a lot over the course of a season, but we cannot trust him to stay injury free. I wouldn't mind going for Hummels, or Otamendi to an extent, but don't see them as a massive upgrade to be honest as neither have been tested in this league. There is a genuine lack of quality central defenders these days, so we should go younger and build for the future. We can look at Marquinos or Laporte, but Varane is unrealistic. I'd go all out for Stones, he has massive potential. Alves is a decent short term option at right back, with Darmian or Coleman as a longer term investment.

We need to be aiming for an upgrade on our midfield, that is, an upgrade on Fellaini. Carrick and Herrera are top quality, we just need a player who can cover for one or both, or play alongside them. See Schweinsteiger, Vidal, Pogba for the high end player, or Aranguiz, Kranevitter, Kovacic for a more left field option.

We probably need another top, top winger if we let Nani leave. It seems that Bale, Ronaldo and Sterling would be a stretch, so I'd go all out for Marco Reus, love the guy. Like Depay, he can play anywhere across the front. If not, Griezmann would be a player I'd like, but again, unrealistic. And I've always like Draxler as a left field option, although he's gone off the boil a bit.

Let Falcao, Van Persie and Hernandez go, and we'll need at least one forward. If Wilson goes on loan, we'd need two. I'd try and prise one of Lewandowski or Muller from Bayern, or take a chance on Lacazette or Higuain.
I think Leno will be class and be my choice. Otamendi is a massive upgrade on what we have, cant see Hummels leaving this summer. Marquinhos and Varane are unrealistic. And Laporte has gone of the boil this season. I like Stones but I would want to see how he does next season first. Don't rate Coleman or Darmian that highly tbh.

We should be targeting Gundogan,Schniederlin,Vidal,Pogba,Schweinstiger,Kondogbia for CM imo.

I think Bale,Ronaldo,Sterling are all unrealistic. Think Reus would move for the right cash but would be hard due to his new huge contract and his release clause removed.

Lacazzette and Higuian would be best and most realistic STR choices.

Back