The Manchester United Thread

Pure Richard Keys banter when we sign dante, de jong, gaitan and berahino.

I think Leno will be class and be my choice. Otamendi is a massive upgrade on what we have, cant see Hummels leaving this summer. Marquinhos and Varane are unrealistic. And Laporte has gone of the boil this season. I like Stones but I would want to see how he does next season first. Don't rate Coleman or Darmian that highly tbh.

We should be targeting Gundogan,Schniederlin,Vidal,Pogba,Schweinstiger,Kondogbia for CM imo.

I think Bale,Ronaldo,Sterling are all unrealistic. Think Reus would move for the right cash but would be hard due to his new huge contract and his release clause removed.

Lacazzette and Higuian would be best and most realistic STR choices.

Yeah Kondogbia is a player that I wouldn't mind at all. Otamendi is one that could be great, but it depends how long it takes him to settle. He's not the commanding centre back we need yet, but I don't think there are many of them in world football right now. If we signed Otamendi, Alves, Kondogbia, Reus and Lacazette, I'd be really pleased. More than anything, I just want De Gea to sign.

Yeah Kondogbia is a player that I wouldn't mind at all. Otamendi is one that could be great, but it depends how long it takes him to settle. He's not the commanding centre back we need yet, but I don't think there are many of them in world football right now. If we signed Otamendi, Alves, Kondogbia, Reus and Lacazette, I'd be really pleased. More than anything, I just want De Gea to sign.
That would be an amazing summer. Especially with the few youngsters we have singed already. Hopefully a few more youngsters also.

GK - If DDG leaves, go for Lloris, who'll most likely be horribly expensive. If not him, then Leno. Begovic is backup at best. Nothing more. Probably give Valdes to Tottenham to sweeten the deal?

CB - If no Hummels, then yeah, Otamendi. Laporte is a prospect, but will have his inconsistencies considering his age. Otamendi or Varane are the only two that should even be targeted, imo. If neither of them work out, John Stones is an option, but he is again young, and we already have a lot of those. I like Jan Vertonghen, but it's likely Levy will shaft us for him.

CM - Technically, the only place where we have a variety of options. Since Pogba is most likely a no-show, we should be all in for Gundogan, imo. He's class. Schweinsteiger would be an excellent addition too, but his injury record is something to be wary about. Vidal, I'm not too sure about now, would have loved him here earlier, but I'm not sure the knee won't hold him back. Kondogbia is an excellent option, though.

ST - Desperately need reinforcements here. Rooney is not a clinical finisher, and RvP and Falcao have been disappointing. IMO, we should keep Chicharito, but sadly, that won't be the case. Did someone mention Lewandowski? There is no ****** way that we can convince Bayern to sell him, and I don't want Muller as a striker, too similar to Rooney if played upfront, but with slightly less pace. Lacazette sounds like the perfect signing, but there's likely to be unbelievable competition for his signature. Vietto would have been another brilliant option, but he's apparently Atleti bound. I'd prefer Higuain over Benzema, if that is the scenario.

Winger - Reus would be so, so good, can already begin to salivate. But it's unlikely he'll leave Dortmund. Even if he does, I'd assume Barca/Madrid/Bayern as his likely destination. One player we should be looking at is Pedro, reports are that he'd be available reasonably cheaply, and he is really good. Plus, fairly unselfish.

RB - I don't really like Alves, considering his age and the kind of fee he'll demand, but he'd be good enough for a couple of seasons. I'd love to have Rafael to rotate, but that is seemingly unlikely. Coleman would be a decent alternative;; haven't really followed Darmain, so dunno much about him.

Some really average players being suggested now, we have the money and status to aim much higher.

I like Begovic as a 'keeper and a man, but his biggest weakness is De Gea's biggest strength, and something that every modern day goalkeeper needs: Distribution. He's a decent, fairly cheap option, but not much of an upgrade on Valdes imo.
I'd like Lloris but he'd be expensive. Keep Valdes or take a punt on Leno.

Defensively, we need to replace Evans and Rafael. Smalling has come on a lot over the course of a season, but we cannot trust him to stay injury free. I wouldn't mind going for Hummels, or Otamendi to an extent, but don't see them as a massive upgrade to be honest as neither have been tested in this league. There is a genuine lack of quality central defenders these days, so we should go younger and build for the future. We can look at Marquinos or Laporte, but Varane is unrealistic. I'd go all out for Stones, he has massive potential. Alves is a decent short term option at right back, with Darmian or Coleman as a longer term investment.

We need to be aiming for an upgrade on our midfield, that is, an upgrade on Fellaini. Carrick and Herrera are top quality, we just need a player who can cover for one or both, or play alongside them. See Schweinsteiger, Vidal, Pogba for the high end player, or Aranguiz, Kranevitter, Kovacic for a more left field option.

We probably need another top, top winger if we let Nani leave. It seems that Bale, Ronaldo and Sterling would be a stretch, so I'd go all out for Marco Reus, love the guy. Like Depay, he can play anywhere across the front. If not, Griezmann would be a player I'd like, but again, unrealistic. And I've always like Draxler as a left field option, although he's gone off the boil a bit.

Let Falcao, Van Persie and Hernandez go, and we'll need at least one forward. If Wilson goes on loan, we'd need two. I'd try and prise one of Lewandowski or Muller from Bayern, or take a chance on Lacazette or Higuain.

This is the most reasonable post I have seen in quite some time!

FWIW, Benzema is hated in France for his arrogance, attitude and lack of work ethic/ team play.

Heck of a talented player, but I wouldn't personally want to bring that ego into my club. And as regards Utd, with the work ethic Van Gaal demands, I wouldn't foresee that one going down too well.

Then France are 3 years behind because he isn't that player anymore, very level headed with a great work ethic these days, brilliant link up play.

There is not a chance Stone is the answer. We badly lack leadership at the back. Hummels and Otamendi answer this and they would certainly a)be fair superior to what we have and b) be among the best in the league

Then France are 3 years behind because he isn't that player anymore, very level headed with a great work ethic these days, brilliant link up play.

Try telling that to the French over he and certain teammates recent International tournament disgraces.

There's a talk brewing of a possible player push cash swap involving Benzema and Sterling, which on the one hand excites you because of the top class talent he is; but it gives you equal pause on the other listening to French friends on him.

Try telling that to the French over he and certain teammates recent International tournament disgraces.

There's a talk brewing of a possible player push cash swap involving Benzema and Sterling, which on the one hand excites you because of the top class talent he is; but it gives you equal pause on the other listening to French friends on him.

They can hate him over internationals all they want, his club form is excellent and in the end that is what would matter for us. I'm not going to lose sleep over what the french say when having watched him for the last few years I see how good he is.

View image on Twitter

Peter Schmeichel ✔@Pschmeichel1
LIVE from #BayernMünchen dressing room:
Is this fellow gonna play in this shirt next season or will he be at OT?
7:59 PM - 28 May 2015
273 273 Retweets 219 219 favorites

I'll say something everyone on here is afraid to say..

If we do get a striker, what do we do with rooney?

Obviously, rooney won't settle to be a backup striker...

Rooney is too slow to be a winger...And dropping him to midfield would mean benching either Gundogan(hopefully), herrera or carrick...

So, where is our dear captain going to play?

Why all the hate for Alex Song? Not a big enough name? He's been brilliant for West Ham this season, and was excellent for Arsenal.

Re Rooney I would play him behind a main striker.

Why all the hate for Alex Song? Not a big enough name? He's been brilliant for West Ham this season, and was excellent for Arsenal.

He started brilliantly then tailed off. He would be a good squad player but we should aim higher for first team players. He wouldn't start ahead of Herrera and Carrick. Someone like schneiderlin would be perfect for us.

I would take the Alex Song of Arsenal. But after moving to Barca, they didn't use him, and now at West Ham, he's ok, but nothing great. As sunil said, backup player, nothing more.

We need someone on par with or better than Carrick/Herrera. Song isn't that. Gundogan, however..

The pink paper in Italy are reporting Galliani as being now '50% confident from 10%' of persuading Carletto to return home and are reporting he's promising certain signings. Among them Gundogan.

I would take the Alex Song of Arsenal. But after moving to Barca, they didn't use him, and now at West Ham, he's ok, but nothing great. As sunil said, backup player, nothing more.

We need someone on par with or better than Carrick/Herrera. Song isn't that. Gundogan, however..

Why Gundogan? We already know Song can perform in this league and in a better team im sure would get back to the player he was at Arsenal if not better. Gundogan is a risk, injury wise and performance wise if he cant do it in this league. And when you compare the price of the two, its a pretty expensive risk aswell.

The pink paper in Italy are reporting Galliani as being now '50% confident from 10%' of persuading Carletto to return home and are reporting he's promising certain signings. Among them Gundogan.

Apparently all set if his back surgery goes well and he feels up to task. Would be great for italian football especially if Milan intend to make a splash this summer.

Back