The Manchester United Thread

Not a bad signing if we keep Rafael, if we let Rafael go I think it's a bad signing and very short-term thinking. Personally I would still like us to be more ambitious and get a good younger RB whilst keeping Rafael, with Valencia there we'd be fine.

Not sure that would be more ambitious

Not sure that would be more ambitious

It would... at the end of the day Alves is about his attacking and pace that he offers, he's 32 now and we'll be lucky if we got three seasons out of him at his best. I really don't see much appeal on this one at all, we're meant to be building a team, with players like Alves I don't see how that really helps the process. Schweinsteiger is an exception to LVG's transfer philosophy but I don't see how Alves is.

My other reservation is the fact that Barca suits him right down to the ground, he's going to be tested much more heavily on his defensive game in the Premier League and I think he may struggle to adapt.

It would... at the end of the day Alves is about his attacking and pace that he offers, he's 32 now and we'll be lucky if we got three seasons out of him at his best. I really don't see much appeal on this one at all, we're meant to be building a team, with players like Alves I don't see how that really helps the process. Schweinsteiger is an exception to LVG's transfer philosophy but I don't see how Alves is.

My other reservation is the fact that Barca suits him right down to the ground, he's going to be tested much more heavily on his defensive game in the Premier League and I think he may struggle to adapt.

LVG wants to play 4-3-3, with one traditional full back, and onw very attacking full back. Name me a better attacking full back in the world who can still press defensively press and win the ball back, and defend against his man 1 on 1?

3 seasons is plenty of time to develop another young player, or even Rafael. We need players who can deliver now just as much. We have lost so much leadership and winning experience.

We don't need more young promise.

LVG wants to play 4-3-3, with one traditional full back, and onw very attacking full back. Name me a better attacking full back in the world who can still press defensively press and win the ball back, and defend against his man 1 on 1?

3 seasons is plenty of time to develop another young player, or even Rafael. We need players who can deliver now just as much. We have lost so much leadership and winning experience.

We don't need more young promise.

I'll reserve judgement until I know exactly what we do because it depends on Rafael and whether we replace him with an alternative if he goes. If so then Alves may make sense, but if Rafael goes and then we rely on Alves with just Valencia as cover I'd be worried and argue we haven't really solved anything.

I still reckon he may end up staying at Barcelona anyway, can't see him leaving a champions league winning team.... if they win.

98e2e6f79ad93eac763f3042c682bc75_normal.jpeg
Steve Bates@sbates_people As we told you on April 18 Angel di Maria has no desire to bail out of #mufc

Anyone heard anything more about De Gea?
why would they be telling their backup keeper to stay if they were getting De Gea and casillas is staying?

Jonas Giæver@CheGiaevara Marca reporting today that Real Madrid have told Keylor Navas that they are counting on him and that he'll stay at the club.

Not a bad signing if we keep Rafael, if we let Rafael go I think it's a bad signing and very short-term thinking. Personally I would still like us to be more ambitious and get a good younger RB whilst keeping Rafael, with Valencia there we'd be fine.

Our squad is among the youngest in the league and with RVP and Falcao leaving, average age should be even lower. Also our defense has not a single player above 30 and IIRC Smalling is the oldest. So we can afford to sign experienced defender.

Also yeah should retain Rafael and rotate with Dani Alves.

Our squad is among the youngest in the league and with RVP and Falcao leaving, average age should be even lower. Also our defense has not a single player above 30 and IIRC Smalling is the oldest. So we can afford to sign experienced defender.

Also yeah should retain Rafael and rotate with Dani Alves.

If we keep Rafael I'm fine with it, yeh we still need experience don't get me wrong but I feel the most important position for that is CB, which we should be addressing.

why would they be telling their backup keeper to stay if they were getting De Gea and casillas is staying?

Jonas Giæver@CheGiaevara Marca reporting today that Real Madrid have told Keylor Navas that they are counting on him and that he'll stay at the club.
No one knows tbh.

Think it's just a matter of time. We may be stalling as we get a deal done for a replacement, or we may be playing hard ball with the figure from Real for De Gea. We are still in a position to keep him for another year and Real know this, so it could run and run all preseason until one party caves.

Pure conjecture of course but just my thoughts. I think De Gea has agreed a deal with Madrid already.

Transfer Related @TransferRelated
BREAKING: Lazio have reached an agreement with Manchester Utd to sign striker Robin van Persie for 15m. [Il Messaggero]
4:40 PM - 5 Jun 2015
217 217 Retweets 112 112 favorites

RVP having a bit of stinker atm for Holland. Blind has been solid. Memphis has been class good dribbles,skills and a great cross which turned into an assist for Hollands first goal. 1-1 ht.

Depay was excellent against US in the friendlies. He played peach of a cross for opening goal and got luck with the goal he scored. Deflected off his chin but he was constant threat. Always made runs behind defense, played excellent ground passes and also created few excellent chances. He played 1 more peach of a cross which was missed from point blank range.

Very excited to see him at United. It was very mature performance and he was in complete control of everything he tried.

4x6pwu9yoiayhjwzgsjc_normal.jpeg
Sport Witness @Sport_Witness Man United playing hardball on De Gea, saying not for sale even with contract situation. Benzema or another could sweeten things.

We will be saving huge wages this summer IMO.
RVP and Falcao around 500K per week (combined)
Nani - 100K (even though I want him to stay)
Lindegaard - 30-40K
Hernandez - 60K
Cleverley - 40K
Fletcher - 80K
Zaha - 40K
Evans - 60K

That's around 48 Million wages saved and most of these players weren't even used much last season.

So we can sign few good players on good wages. Also hopefully we trim our squad and retain quality over quantity.

GK: De Gea, Valdes, Johnstone

RB: Dani Alves*, Rafael, Valencia
CB: Smalling, Jones, Otamendi, Rojo
LB: Shaw, Blind, Rojo

CM: Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini, Blind, Schneiderlin/Gundogan*
RW: Di Maria, Mata, Januzaj
LW: Depay, Young

ST: Rooney, Wilson, NewST*

IMO this is good enough squad with 3-4 new signings. Also we should sign players who will improve first 11.

Rafael might leave but hopefully we will retain him.

Alves is off to milan, hopefully or if he had any brain cells he'd stay at barca.

He aint going to Milan! He was asked if he would like to play for a club like Milan he said yes. Barca already signed his replacement.

Don't be so sure of it. Milan are getting new investors and Alves has won it all and has nothing to prove. He might not fancy England at all and Milan is more closer to South America when it comes to lifestyle and culture so it's easy for South Americans to adapt in Italy.

Back