The Manchester United Thread

I wouldn't put Robben or Ribery on a striker position (if playing a 1-striker system)... It's just totally different to attack from the flanks to a single defender (most of the time). It's different to attack from the flanks and having options to go inside or give a cross than playing with your back to the goal and facing two defenders. He actually scores most goals by running at a defender.

4x6pwu9yoiayhjwzgsjc_normal.jpeg
Sport Witness@Sport_Witness Exclusive: Despite offers from top clubs, Adnan Januzaj wants to stay at Man United and become a club legend. http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/exclusive-20-year-old-to-be-at-man-united-next-season-aims-to-be- …

You dont score 20+ league goals in a season without having a strikers instinct. When that ball is in and around the box, are you seriously telling me he doesnt get that strikers instinct and knows exactly what to do? I didnt see any out and out strikers outscoring him in the league last year.

Thierry Henry was always a left winger just like Depay, but he also had the ability to play as a striker, and Wenger noticed that. LVG has probably noticed this in Depay aswell.

As for my comment, i meant that if it was that easy to score goals from the left wing position then wouldnt more of the worlds top wingers be scoring close to that ammount? The answer is no, because they dont have the strikers instinct that Depay has. Do wingers not know how to exploit defenders? Attack space? Of course they can. And his goal tally proves he knows how to put the ball in the net. He outscored every single "striker" in the league last season, but he cant play as one?

Just because he doesnt start out as a striker on the little graphic line-up before a game doesnt mean he doesnt take up a strikers position in-play when he doesnt have the ball. If you have watched his games like you say you have then you know full well he doesnt stand on the left wing for 90 minutes. He's constantly in and around the box just like a striker would be. He's been making the runs and scoring the goals all season.

The runs are complete different because you are not ghosting in against a full back, but trying to move central against a CB

Bale, great goalscoring winger, terrible forward. because the Role is different.

Being able to score does not mean you are a striker. You are conflating the two

You're attacking the defender in a different way, you're attacking space a different way.

Depay isn't a striker.

Follow

Sky Sports Football
@SkyFootball

TRANSFER CENTRE: Otamendi edging closer to Man Utd.

8fc755ab483b8ac6f242acafae4dbb0b_normal.jpeg
Jonas Giæver @CheGiaevara And yes; AS are writing, in their paper edition, that Nicolas Otamendi is currently negotiating a transfer to a club in the Premier League

4x6pwu9yoiayhjwzgsjc_normal.jpeg
Sport Witness @Sport_Witness One condition of Otamendi move met, he's told them he's off.

I hope this is true :)

I'm wondering what our plan is for RB now, especially as we're supposedly not in for Clyne. I really hope it is not Van Der Wiel, but if we kept Rafael I could live with it.

I'm wondering what our plan is for RB now, especially as we're supposedly not in for Clyne. I really hope it is not Van Der Wiel, but if we kept Rafael I could live with it.
No real rumours of Rafa leaving who knows, maybe him and LVG talks went well?

No real rumours of Rafa leaving who knows, maybe him and LVG talks went well?

Hope so, always loved Rafael and despite his injuries, definitely want to keep him as I feel he still has a lot to offer and when he gets a few games under his belt, he's great player.

The runs are complete different because you are not ghosting in against a full back, but trying to move central against a CB

Bale, great goalscoring winger, terrible forward. because the Role is different.

Being able to score does not mean you are a striker. You are conflating the two

You're attacking the defender in a different way, you're attacking space a different way.

Depay isn't a striker.
I suppose until he actually plays there its a matter of opinion. Ronaldo was/is a winger but can also play as a striker. Same as Henry could. Neymar and messi. I know I'm going on to elite level here but if he continues progressing at this rate then he might not be far off

Van Gaal: I'll give young players a tour chance
"I shall take a lot of youngsters with us to the USA," declared van Gaal. "They have the chance to show themselves and then we shall wait and observe how they can develop. You get your chances always, especially in pre-season and, when you grab that chance, you have maybe the possibility to join us next season."

Telegraph say Fabinho, would be great, He's better than Clyne. And keep Rafa too fingers crossed.

I suppose until he actually plays there its a matter of opinion. Ronaldo was/is a winger but can also play as a striker. Same as Henry could. Neymar and messi. I know I'm going on to elite level here but if he continues progressing at this rate then he might not be far off

I'm not say he will never be one, or can never learn to be one. But right now there is no way I would call him one, or would have bought him with the aim of being one. If he adds it to his bow, brilliant, but it would be a bonus , but not something we should take as read.

Just watching Brazil v SRB and Andreas Periera has been different class! Topping it off with a magnificent solo effert to take the game to extra time :)

Pereira looks a bigger talent than Januzaj, how times change, hopefully his time to shine will be this season.

Back