The Manchester United Thread

His biggest issue is consistency, because like Januzaj and Periera he has what it takes. Has good decision making which will put him in good stead, but the wide position here is so competitive, he needs to make a mark in preseason
Yeah my thoughts exactly. Will he go on pre season after playing in Euros? And who else might have a shot? I think Johnstone,Janko,Rothwell,Pearson, and maybe Tuanzebe and TFM as long shots with Gribbin,Mitchell.

rWwdlGje_normal.jpg
Martin @RafaelsAfro If David De Gea leaves #MUFC this summer, Valdes will be promoted to starting goalkeeper and Lindegaard will stay as backup [EB.dk]

rWwdlGje_normal.jpg
Martin @RafaelsAfro LVG feels he's got the goalkeeper position covered with those two and wants to spend the transfer budget elsewhere [EB.dk]

Follow

Martin @RafaelsAfro

Anders Lindegaard will renew his contract with #MUFC, current one expires i 2016 [EB.dk]

I think Valdes and Cillesen will be our No 1 and 2 next season with Pereira/Vanja being No3 as I think Johnstone is going back to PNE on loan again after impressing and developing well there.

I think Valdes and Cillesen will be our No 1 and 2 next season with Pereira/Vanja being No3 as I think Johnstone is going back to PNE on loan again after impressing and developing well there.

And that would be a big drop off from the Spaniard that a lot of Utd fans on here don't seem to appreciate.

Right here, right now, that 4th spot is WIDE open.

BIG summer transfer wise for all concerned.

For me regardless of signings, it would be one step forward and two steps back if we rely on Valdes as no.1 next season, every great team builds from the back and we can't rely on another keeper who needs time to bed in.

It should be Cech, Lloris or Begovic if push comes to shove. Cillesen would be terrible.

And that would be a big drop off from the Spaniard that a lot of Utd fans on here don't seem to appreciate.

It's really not that wide open at all. Liverpool are at a clear disadvantage going to into the market both in pull and finances.

I would be more than confident with Valdes being our No1 next season! Great experience and as showed in the games DDG was injured his shot stopping was top draw, made a couple fantastic stops. Also his distribution is right up there and is key in what LVG sees in a keeper. It would be a loss losing DDG no doubt, but Valdes is still a top keeper.

The issue with Valdes means powerful aerial defenders. That said we should be targeting those regardless.

Valdes Ramos/Otamendi and Rojo, with Schweinstiger or Carrick is a start. Valdes lack of aerial ability becomes an issue if the defence is not strengthed significantly.

Although its not even set in stone that will happen, we've only got this random tweet from someone quote another article. Could very easily be entirely bollocks.

For me regardless of signings, it would be one step forward and two steps back, every team builds from the back and we can't rely on another keeper who needs time to bed in.

It should be Cech, Lloris or Begovic if push comes to shove. Cillesen would be terrible.
Cech is unavailable. Lloris will cost upwards of 30m + and Levy will make it impossible to negotiate without us getting shafted! Begovic is awful and not an LVG keeper. Cillesen would be a good No2.

I'd rather spend 30m on Lloris to be frank, than be cheap and pick up Cillesen

The issue with Valdes means powerful aerial defenders. That said we should be targeting those regardless.

Valdes Ramos/Otamendi and Rojo, with Schweinstiger or Carrick is a start.
Agree! Valdes is still a top GK though. We do need a powerfull aerial CB though.

Cech is unavailable. Lloris will cost upwards of 30m + and Levy will make it impossible to negotiate without us getting shafted! Begovic is awful and not an LVG keeper. Cillesen would be a good No2.

My point is centred around relying on Valdes for no.1 next season, it's not what we should be doing, we need ready made players and he made mistakes in that last game of the season it could of easily cost us two goals. If we want to be winning again we shouldn't take gambles like that.

Giving the money reason isn't good enough if you want to win you need players who are going to do the job straight away.

It's really not that wide open at all. Liverpool are at a clear disadvantage going to into the market both in pull and finances.

Take De Gea out of the equation, and even more so if you put in a healthy Sturridge, and there's little to chose between either side last year as **** poor as we were/ are.

As I type this, with De Gea all but gone, the difference is negligible between both.

You have Chelsea out on their own. City in transition a level back along with Arsenal who are starting to make strides with Cech but still need a couple more top bracket players in key positions. Then three or four sides currently vying for the last Champions League spot.

Now that situation might change by the end of the window, but as of now your best hope is consolidating 4th and the key difference in you getting that last year is departing and the drop off to what you have right now is a big one.

Last edited:
Take De Gea out of the equation, and even more so if you put in a healthy Sturridge, and there's little to chose between either side last year as **** poor as we were/ are.

As I type this, with De Gea all but gone, the difference is negligible between both.

You have Chelsea out on their own. City in transition a level back along with Arsenal who are starting to make strides with Cech but still need a couple more top bracket players in key positions. Then three or four sides currently vying for the last Champions League spot.

Now that situation might change by the end of the window, but as of now your best hope is consolidating 4th and the key difference in you getting that last year is departing and the drop off to what you have right now is a big one.

Arsene Wenger, is that you?

My point is centred around relying on Valdes for no.1 next season, it's not what we should be doing, we need ready made players and he made mistakes in that last game of the season it could of easily cost us two goals. If we want to be winning again we shouldn't take gambles like that.

Giving the money reason isn't good enough if you want to win you need players who are going to do the job straight away.
Valdes can do the job. Yes he made a couple of errors, which is understandable due to his lack of football. But he made some good saves and his distribution is key and what LVG wants from his keeper. He wont sign one if his distribution is not of a standard he requires.

I don't know why people think 30 million for Lloris would be overpriced. For a world class player who can play at the top level throughout 5 year contract, already knows the language and is settled in the league, this is peanuts money.

Sturridge doesn't look like getting healthy. His whole career has been injury prone. Except the difference is United are not targeting players to consolidate 4th,. It's silly to say as of now, when we know the situation is going to change massively over the summer. Overall there is no way one can argue its wide open based on what both teams have at their disposal in the market.

I don't know why people think 30 million for Lloris would be overpriced. For a world class player who can play at the top level throughout 5 year contract, already knows the language and is settled in the league, this is peanuts money.
30m is a good price! But Levy will not think so.

Never understood why clubs have never really paid big money for such an integral position to any teams chances of success.

Even through today there's not been that many real big 'keeper fees paid.

Always baffled me.

Back