The Manchester United Thread

And yet with all the help they get, the best facilities, dieticians, individual coaches et all; playing on bowling green pitches with a much more relaxed ruled game that doesn't have them getting kicked to Holly **** every game; the poor lil' dears complain about 2 games a week and needing a rest.

United and L'pool players used to be massive off field drinkers as was the norm. Often out together. But they knew when to drink and when it was time to be serious and professional. They ALWAYS turned up to play and gave their all regardless.

Todays players may be more professional in how they conduct themselves and look after their body's. But the majority most certainly aren't more dedicated come match day than players of the past.

Obviously as games are much more intense than the games of past and more often that not, it's managers who complain about 3 games a week. No one complains about 2 games a week.

Yeah, we all saw what happened with Best, Paul McGrath. Those players survived because the game was not played with such intensity. Also football is not about running around like a mad man, game has changed a lot. It's their dedication off the field that puts them better dedicated than players of past. On field they play with restricted role. Just because player run like a headless chicken doesn't mean he is more dedicated.

That's because everyone bases their opinion on last season, which is understandable but slightly unfair. Take injuries away and you probably would've finished second. I actually quite like your squad and you don't necessarily need to go crazy this summer, but it's important that you make the right signings and if you do as I've said before I think you'll be our main challengers for the title. Also you have a pretty nice balance between youth and experience.
At last a oppo fan with a reasonable outlook on things. With the right signings yes I agree, but still will be tough. I would settle for a close title challenging next season will depend were we are after the new year imo.

As a first option, just think about the Dani Carvajal, Danilo situation in Madrid. Both of them would be perfect addition to the squad and one of them would be sitting on the bench in Madrid.

2, Gregory van der Wiel

3, Marc Bartra

Both Bartra and van der Wiel are young, fast, strong full backs with lot of potential and none of them would cost 20-25m.
Van Der Wiel is ***** and been injured most of last season and Bartra is a CB and Barca would most probs want a buy back clause putting in.

That's because everyone bases their opinion on last season, which is understandable but slightly unfair. Take injuries away and you probably would've finished second. I actually quite like your squad and you don't necessarily need to go crazy this summer, but it's important that you make the right signings and if you do as I've said before I think you'll be our main challengers for the title.

Yeah but that's understandable. Most of the defense was injured and the player who played as DM missed half of the season and yet we conceded only 5 more goals than best defense in the league.

As a first option, just think about the Dani Carvajal, Danilo situation in Madrid. Both of them would be perfect addition to the squad and one of them would be sitting on the bench in Madrid.

2, Gregory van der Wiel

3, Marc Bartra

Both Bartra and van der Wiel are young, fast, strong full backs with lot of potential and none of them would cost 20-25m.

I doubt Real would sell Carvajal and Danilo has only just signed with them. Also Bartra isn't a fullback and on his day Van der Wiel isn't any better than Rafael to be honest. There aren't actually many decent RBs available at the moment.

Yeh they expect but at the end of the day as far as I can see nothing has changed, it's just we've made one bid, it was way below their valuation and we haven't returned. We don't think he's worth £40m, which is true, like I said earlier, for a 29 year old anything above £30m is overpaying drastically.

Can we afford to wait around all summer with the risk of having no CB addition? In my opinion we should just move on because Madrid won't drop their valuation hugely to make it feasible.
This won't last all summer. Neither will the situation with de Gea. Expect things to come to a head within two weeks tops

This won't last all summer. Neither will the situation with de Gea. Expect things to come to a head within two weeks tops
Yep sooner or later the game will end either way for Ramos and DDG. And with the tours and qualifiers coming up I expect that to be pretty soon.

I doubt Real would sell Carvajal and Danilo has only just signed with them. Also Bartra isn't a fullback and on his day Van der Wiel isn't any better than Rafael to be honest. There aren't actually many decent RBs available at the moment.

So, our best bet is to call Gary Neville out of retirement? :D

Such a shame we have class RB in our squad and still we are searching all over the world for one.

Such a shame we have class RB in our squad and still we are searching all over the world for one.
Its funny one tbh not a word on Rafa which I find strange! Considering players we expected to leave have all been linked away already. Maybe things have changed after LVG spoke to players end of last season. Also Varela to after reading he will get a chance on tour.

You know something we don't?

rafael-da-silva_2264925b.jpg

My thoughts on DDG-

If it is true, De Gea is basically saying to Madrid, 'show that you want me' (i.e bid an 'acceptable' fee) or I am going to renew.

Basically, there is 0% that United will sell De Gea for 13m or whatever Madrid offered. If they want to get De Gea, they have to pay the United asking price (whatever it is). De Gea is just making it clear that he won't wait for another year for Madrid so they either make the transfer happen now ($$$) or he's gonna renew.

Assuming that this is true, of course. While I don't believe it, it makes sense. De Gea was reported to be happy here last season and the United offer will make him the most paid keeper in the world, while will also allow him developing and being our No.1 with relatively low pressure (at-least compared to Madrid). It would make sense for him to sign a new contract and then if Madrid really wants him, they will go after him in a year or two (when among other things, he has earned much more money, is arguably a better keeper and will be in a 200k/week contract instead of 60k/week contract, so Madrid will be pressured to match the contract or go near it).

If the rumours that Mendez has adviced De Gea to stay here for another 2 seasons, maybe there is something to it. Or at least, I hope so.

I think the main issue is depth. Without Rafael there who can realistically replace him? Valencia? Maybe but he'd need to improve his defensive game. Jones? Again maybe but he's not a RB. That leaves you with risking a youngster. So I think going after a new RB is the most sensible option.

Obviously as games are much more intense than the games of past and more often that not, it's managers who complain about 3 games a week. No one complains about 2 games a week.....

No players complain about playing 2 games a week? (I class Sat'day/ Wednesday as that. But 3 if you want to say Sat'day through
Sat'day.).

Man, I don't know reality you've been living in through the PL era but I'd like to join it.

Managers today just facilitate and give players a ready made excuse to hide behind. And all the benefits they have going for them today totally balances out the more physically demanding modern game.

McGraths a great example. Raging drinker. Barely trained because of his knee. But still brought it and gave 100% every game. He just wanted to play. There was a time to drink and a time to get professional. And the drinking stopped the day before a game. It was just the culture. Thankfully that has all changed the more the games progressed. But a lot of players attitudes haven't changed. More than ever today it's just a 'job' and the love of playing and wanting to play every game isn't there to anything like the same degree it used to be. That's the difference in dedication I was alluding to.

I think the main issue is depth. Without Rafael there who can realistically replace him? Valencia? Maybe but he'd need to improve his defensive game. Jones? Again maybe but he's not a RB. That leaves you with risking a youngster. So I think going after a new RB is the most sensible option.

It's more to do with Rafael not getting chances. I think Van Gaal likes Valencia, Rafael is not getting chances. I would be happy with Rafael as first choice and Valencia as back up. ***** money on other areas.

It's more to do with Rafael not getting chances. I think Van Gaal likes Valencia, Rafael is not getting chances. I would be happy with Rafael as first choice and Valencia as back up. ***** money on other areas.
Like I said I hope his chat with LVG went well end of last season and things have changed. You would of thought that there would be links away but none that ive seen anywhere. Will be strong with Rafa,Valencia and Varela at RB next season.

Like I said I hope his chat with LVG went well end of last season and things have changed. You would of thought that there would be links away but none that ive seen anywhere. Will be strong with Rafa,Valencia and Varela at RB next season.

Yeah, that would be good enough choices.

Must say I really rate Rafael. His brother was a bag of ***** like (I suspect if truth be told Ferguson brought them both over to help them settle as much as anything) but he's real quality.

The sad problem being he's never fit.

Yeah, that would be good enough choices.
Yeah would be more than good enough imo. Just been searching lol and the only recent thing I can find is that interview where LVG said he was disappointed that Rafa had injured his rib and would be out the rest of the season.

‘It’s unbelievable,’ said Van Gaal.
‘He has broken his ribs so he shall not play any more this season for Manchester United.
“It’s very unfortunate.”

Back