The Manchester United Thread

Must say I really rate Rafael. His brother was a bag of ***** like (I suspect if truth be told Ferguson brought them both over to help them settle as much as anything) but he's real quality.

The sad problem being he's never fit.
Rafa is class when fit tbh and a top RB. Don't by the Fabio bit as has been stated by nearly everyone at the club that Fabio was the more talented.

Must say I really rate Rafael. His brother was a bag of ***** like (I suspect if truth be told Ferguson brought them both over to help them settle as much as anything) but he's real quality.

The sad problem being he's never fit.

The funy thing is Fabio was seen as the better prospect in their youth days with brazil

Rafa is class when fit tbh and a top RB. Don't by the Fabio bit as has been stated by nearly everyone at the club that Fabio was the more talented.

The funy thing is Fabio was seen as the better prospect in their youth days with brazil

Fabio was unlucky as he was LB and Evra played almost all games. Rafael was lucky that he didn't compete with anyone for RB slot. In 2010-11 season Fabio was class and one of our better players in CL finals.

Even at our club, people thought the same.

I said it a while back in here think that if fabio had been switched to a winger when they both made the break through I think he would have had more success bit late now however

Quite possibly et. That might of made all the difference but he's never really kicked on at all, was woeful at QPR; and has now found his level at Cardiff.

But I really do like Rafael. Perfect full back. Solid defensively and more than accomplished going forward.

Crying shame that he just can't stay healthy.

You look at what Utd have defensively, and IF Rafael could stay healthy, and Shaw fulfil his potential (still a long ways to go there but he certainly has that potential); their full backs are set. But everything they have in the middle is what should be a reliable back-up having to currently play. Maybe Jones, in a settled role with experience alongside him would suffice long term. But Smalling, even given he improved last year which wasn't say much to what he was before, shouldn't be starting regularly for a club like Utd at all. As Mike noted, Rojo is the one you'd currently roll with alongside whomever the new guy is. (If they even add one.). The depth beyond that is just nonexistent to anything like the level of what a Utd player should be. Both Liverpool and United, minus De Gea, are in equally as big a mess defensively if truth be told

Take De Gea out of the equation and that backend needs heavy investment the next few years.

Last edited:
Why would we roll with Rojo when Smalling was beast second half of season, one of best in the league I'd go as far to say in that period?

Rojo is more a LB than a CB, sure he can play there and do it well but Smalling deserves to be regular starter after his recent form I'd go with him for now.

XIOogvX.jpg

Our 1st game of the season United v Spurs is going to be on BT Sport with a 12.45pm kick off on the Saturday.

I'm assuming due to this farce of FFP that apparently is non-existent now that Manchester City and PSG will be throwing money around at anything while they can. Going to make this window much more competitive, not that I'm giving any excuses for us not to get the business we need done.

Why would we roll with Rojo when Smalling was beast second half of season, one of best in the league I'd go as far to say in that period?

Rojo is more a LB than a CB, sure he can play there and do it well but Smalling deserves to be regular starter after his recent form I'd go with him for now.

I would of said given his experience and far more consistent career quality.

Would you honestly feel comfortable starting out the season with Smalling? I mean if he continued this year and had a solid season I'd be with you. But the latter half of last season belies just how mediocre he's been through his career to that point.

All down to individual interpretation I guess.

Rojo is not a LB he is a CB. "Preferi o Sporting para ser central" - O Jogo

"Preferi o Sporting para ser central"

Translating it says he prefered to join us to play as Center back since he used to play as LB at Spartak and didn´t like it.

Rojo: "Estou muito contente por ir jogar nesta liga" - Sporting - Desporto - RTP

"I prefer to play as Center back but if the manager wants i can play in the left."

I would of said given his experience and far more consistent career quality.

Would you honestly feel comfortable starting out the season with Smalling? I mean if he continued this year and had a solid season I'd be with you. But the latter half of last season belies just how mediocre he's been through his career to that point.

All down to individual interpretation I guess.

I don't remember him being bad at all in second half of season I always thought he was really good and was a big factor in our consistency in defence during second half of season in general.

I'm more than confident with Smalling, to call his career mediocre is harsh, he was shining at Fulham in the Premier League when we got him, sure he's had time in and out of the side but people love to be over the top over him, he hasn't ever been a liability. He's had a few bad games don't get me wrong, in his United spell but **** who hasn't? Plus he's still only 25 and has come in to United at a time where the defence has been very ordinary and no consistency in his partner at CB.

Long story short, if he's in a consistent back-line alongside a classy CB like Otamendi/Ramos I'd be very confident, he has the form and ability to do it.

People always be over dramatic with Jones and Smalling for some unknown reason, sure Jones pulls funny faces and rolls along the floor sometimes to make a tackle, but they both have done good job for United and England when they are fit. I think both don't get the credit they deserve. The injuries is something that needs to be eradicated, particularly from Jones to get his consistency.

Smalling's distribution is his main let down at the moment, but that can be worked upon - it's improving under LVG.

Last edited:
Rojo is not a LB he is a CB. "Preferi o Sporting para ser central" - O Jogo

"Preferi o Sporting para ser central"

Translating it says he prefered to join us to play as Center back since he used to play as LB at Spartak and didn´t like it.

Rojo: "Estou muito contente por ir jogar nesta liga" - Sporting - Desporto - RTP

"I prefer to play as Center back but if the manager wants i can play in the left."

He can prefer CB if he wants but I still rate him more as a LB, not saying he's bad at CB either, he's a good versatile player and always gives his heart for the shirt, that alone makes me respect him a lot.

Sorry zz, that got lost in translation.

I was meaning to say his form the second half of last season was a completely out of the norm to the rest of his career to date.

But thank you for the Utd fan perspective.

Total, if related aside with Schneiderlin's name for one still being banded about; you do wonder if a lot of Southampton players success is down to how they play down there when they aren't having half the success elsewhere.

Good players, but maybe over valued and more 'system' players in the comfy confines of a smaller pond to get the best out of them.

Total, if related aside with Schneiderlin's name for one still being banded about; you do wonder if a lot of Southampton players success is down to how they play down there when they aren't having half the success elsewhere.

Good players, but maybe over valued and more 'system' players in the comfy confines of a smaller pond to get the best out of them.

Risk you take with any player to be honest, can't be sure whether any player will adapt well from another team, can only go on what you've seen and how they've performed.

[h=1]Fixtures changes confirmed until end of September[/h]The dates and kick-off times for Manchester United fixtures for the opening two months of the 2015/16 season have been confirmed.
The Reds' first match will also be the opening game of the whole campaign - at home to Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday 8 August, KO 12:45 BST. It will be screened live on BT Sports.
Next up for Louis van Gaal's men will be a Friday night trip to Villa Park to take on Aston Villa on Friday 14 August, KO 19:45 BST, which will be shown live on Sky Sports.
United's next match, at home to Newcastle United, will take place on Saturday 22 August, KO 12:45 BST and will be screened live by BT Sports, while the away trip to Swansea City has put been back 24 hours to Sunday 30 August, KO 16:00 BST.
The Reds' clash with Liverpool at Old Trafford will be on Saturday 12 September at 17:30 BST, with the visit to St Mary's to take on Southampton, originally scheduled for Saturday 19 September, now taking place on Sunday 20 September, KO 16:00 BST.
The Swansea, Liverpool and Southampton matches will be on shown live on Sky Sports.
The only one of United's matches not to move in August and September is the meeting with Sunderland at Old Trafford, which will take place on Saturday 26 September, KO 15:00 BST.

So with Nani gone, Falcao off the books and RVP likely going out, ManUtd will be saving 600K per week wages. We offloaded lot of players last season and signed 6 players (one is off again) so 5. Wages should be down this season.

Also this season.
Nani - 120K
Falcao - 250K
RVP - 250K
Cleverley - 40K
Evans - 60-80K
Hernandez - 60-80K

These players are likely to be off. It saves around 41 Million in wages. So we can sign few high earning players this season

Back