The Manchester United Thread

4x6pwu9yoiayhjwzgsjc_normal.jpeg
Sport Witness @Sport_Witness Believe comments coming from Bayern this week strongly hint they'd be content with Schweinsteiger to Man United. Depends on United/Bastian. Player ready for new challenge. :)

Just pinching the above from the transfer rumour thread:

Can't argue at that.

Utd have boxed themselves into this corner by letting the contract run down. (And I know they tried last year. But that's now looking like a year too late.).

It's a win/ win for everyone bar Utd.

No way are Madrid going to offer more than the bare minimum they deem acceptable to get him a year early. And nor should they. They'd be beyond stupid to pay more for a player they'll get for free in a year at still only 25.

No way will De Gea sign a new contract extension. Nor should he. He wants to go home, and if Madrid have no fee to pay, the chances are he makes even more money out of the switch. So he sits and waits a year. If he did extend, and cost himself money, more fool him.

And then there's Utd, who find themselves in a real bind. They hold out for more, they run the very probable risk of getting nothing. Which I don't care how profitable your brand is, to jut let that amount money go is ridiculously stupid business. And there's absolutely NO guarantee he'll be the same difference maker next season as he was this in terms of the argument that he get's Utd back into the Champions League, he's balanced out the transfer money loss and then some.

I can only see this going one way and that's Madrid and the player winning out with what they can now more or less dictate the fee to be paid within the next few weeks. All of Utd's own making.

Principles are great and all, and credit to you for playing hardball and testing Madrid's resolve to this point; but the bottom line is Manchester United is a major World wide business and they (surely) aren't going to let all that money walk out of the door for nothing.

Harsh lesson learned.

I thought we were a football team?

b1cbb543dbb738503d997a2619a706fd_normal.jpeg
Jason Burt
@JBurtTelegraph My understanding of De Gea/ Ramos is Man Utd still seek parity ie. We sell and we buy for the same price...

Also - Rob Bourne tweeted:

"Staff at United's medical centre at carrington are preparing for 3 medicals in 7 days!

Di Marzio and Darmians agent have confirmed a Prem club has made an offer for his client. Hope its us onless Rafa is gonna stay.

Jeez, just seen Torino's valuation only 20m euros for Darmian??? Mental, if that English club is not us I'll be gutted, that's cheap for such a promising RB like him.

Jeez, just seen Torino's valuation only 20m euros for Darmian??? Mental, if that English club is not us I'll be gutted, that's cheap for such a promising RB like him.
Isn't Darmian like 26? How the heck is he still promising :D

Lol. He's really come on the last 4 years. He'd actually be a viable centre half option as he'd be better defensively than anything you currently have. Old school Italian- he's a defender first. And he can also play a bit. Settled in at RB at Torino, but was a very promising centre half coming through captaining Milan's U'18's/ U'20's.

Another really foolish release by Milan.

This lads a quality defender. If, and I'm reading this AM there might be nothing in Utd's reported interest, but IF you got him, I'd be ****** we preferred Clyne. If he cost as little as is being reported it would just add to that frustration.

Completely marked Sterling out the game the WC FWIW.

Last edited:
Lol. He's really come on the last 4 years. He'd actually be a viable centre half option as he'd be better defensively than anything you currently have. Old school Italian- he's a defender first. And he can also play a bit. Settled in at RB at Torino, but was a very promising centre half coming through captaining Milan's U'18's/ U'20's.

Another really foolish release by Milan.

This lads a quality defender. If, and I'm reading this AM there might be nothing in Utd's reported interest, but IF you got him, I'd be ****** we preferred Clyne. If he cost as little as is being reported it would just add to that frustration.
Sorry but he is no way a better CB than anything we have atm! I agree he looked promising there in his younger years but not now. And even at RB I would still prefer Rafa!

Sorry but he is no way a better CB than anything we have atm! I agree he looked promising there in his younger years but not now. And even at RB I would still prefer Rafa!

No need to be sorry. I already make allowances for you being wrong. (K).

He's every attribute to play anywhere across the back line. Maybe could be better in the air. But he's pace, fantastic positional sense, strong. loves a tackle, two footed and can play as an added bonus. Old school Italian defender.

RB, or RCH alongside Rojo, he immediately tightens up that side of your defence above anything else you have save for Rafa who's a more dynamic FB (I wouldn't say he's more solid defensively); but he's never fit. And he'd be able to organise them into a solid unit with his wealth of Italian tactical knowledge. Something nobody back there can do.

Otemendi and Darmian ..... NOW you're talking solid. But you'd rather have a ******* contest with Perez and will probably not even seriously try for the Argentinian which I don't understand but hey ho. Works for me. :)

Last edited:
No need to be sorry. I already make allowances for you being wrong. (K).

He's every attribute to play anywhere across the back line. Maybe could be better in the air. But he's pace, fantastic positional sense, strong. loves a tackle, two footed and can play as an added bonus. Old school Italian defender.

RB, or RCH alongside Rojo, he immediately tightens up that side of your defence above anything else you have save for Rafa who's a more dynamic FB (I wouldn't say he's more solid defensively); but he's never fit. And he'd be able to organise them into a solid unit with his wealth of Italian tactical knowledge. Something nobody back there can do.

Otemendi and Darmian ..... NOW you're talking solid.
Like I said Looked promising at CB when was younger. But is a FB now only played 1 game at CB last season and was not that great tbh. Just because your Italian done make you a good defender. He would not sure up anything at the back for us apart from being a good back up to Rafa. I would take Jones,Smalling,Rojo any day next to Ramos or Otamendi at CB!

Like I said Looked promising at CB when was younger. But is a FB now only played 1 game at CB last season and was not that great tbh. Just because your Italian done make you a good defender. He would not sure up anything at the back for us apart from being a good back up to Rafa. I would take Jones,Smalling,Rojo any day next to Ramos or Otamendi at CB!

Who ever said it did? ;).

Here's hoping Van Gaal is of the same opinion because personally I'd HATE to see a pure defender of that ilk at Utd.

Jeez thought he was only like 22, still would like him here when you look at our current options.

Oh and can we please stop deluding ourselves that Rafael is a realistic option to go into next season with...... If by some miracle he isn't injured then great, but there is no way we shouldn't be buying a RB this window.

Who ever said it did? ;).

Here's hoping Van Gaal is of the same opinion because personally I'd HATE to see a pure defender of that ilk at Utd.
Just looking at his stats for Serie A last season, nothing to write home about

28 apps 5 as sub
1 assist
1 key pass per game
77% pass success
0.4 crosses per game
2 goals
less than 1 dribble per game
average 1 interception per game
average 2 tackles per game
then average 0.2 blocks per game
average rating 6.98