The Manchester United Thread

Jeez thought he was only like 22, still would like him here when you look at our current options.

Oh and can we please stop deluding ourselves that Rafael is a realistic option to go into next season with...... If by some miracle he isn't injured then great, but there is no way we shouldn't be buying a RB this window.

Really feel for you with Rafael. Even if it benefits my own club, I hate to see players injured. And he just can't stay healthy. At all.

Looking like we're going down the same road with Flanagan, who is having one injury roll into another. Two years ago when we finished runner-up despite a historically bad defence, he was by far and away our most solid defender. The only thing he lacks is pace, which unfortunately is a pre-requesit under the current manager who values attacking over defending in his FB. As a WB last year he'd be no use at all. But as a flat out FB, in a back 4, there's not many more solid than Flanno.

But there has to be a BIG question mark as to his long term health and whether he'l ever consistently play to that level again.

Like another young FB who was a WC talent decimated by injury, Robbie Jones, it's heartbreaking to see young players careers like that ruined by injury.

Just looking at his stats for Serie A last season, nothing to write home about

28 apps 5 as sub
1 assist
1 key pass per game
77% pass success
0.4 crosses per game
2 goals
less than 1 dribble per game
average 1 interception per game
average 2 tackles per game
then average 0.2 blocks per game
average rating 6.98

Nothing special tbh.

Statistics darn statistics.

Joe Allen has one of the highest pass ratio's going. The fact he never passes it more than 5 years and always sideways and backwards is immaterial. The stats don't lie! Mingolet, one of the worst 'keepers in the entire league, was a contender for the golden gloves so he's not that bad. Regardless of the fact he panics every last player in front of him when a ball goes anywhere near him. The stats don't lie!

Always put little weight on stats in the main personally as they can be manipulated to suit.

Much rather go on the eye test and having watched a fair bit of Darmian, I'll trust what my eyes tell me over what a stat can be made to suggest. Glaring example right off the bat. His attacking play. Torino don't push their FB's on. The only time they really did was when they opened up in Europe and had a great Europa Lge campaign when he was contributing at the other end. Stats don't tell the whole story.

Last edited:
Jeez thought he was only like 22, still would like him here when you look at our current options.

Oh and can we please stop deluding ourselves that Rafael is a realistic option to go into next season with...... If by some miracle he isn't injured then great, but there is no way we shouldn't be buying a RB this window.
We already have 3 RBs I think that's plenty for next season.

Don't know how reliable Jackson is anymore, most probs not but -

rebXKd6Y_normal.jpg
jamie jackson
@JamieJackson___ Manchester United to improve offer for Southampton’s Morgan Schneiderlin early next week.

We already have 3 RBs I think that's plenty for next season.

Where are our 3 RB's? Rafael will be injured, Valencia is not a RB - he's used because we don't have one and Varela....... He's been playing in Real Madrid 2nd team and is suddenly good enough to compete for a starting spot in a club supposedly as big wanting to challenge all fronts?

How do we not desperately need an RB??

Where are our 3 RB's? Rafael will be injured, Valencia is not a RB - he's used because we don't have one and Varela....... He's been playing in Real Madrid 2nd team and is suddenly good enough to compete for a starting spot in a club supposedly as big wanting to challenge all fronts?

How do we not desperately need an RB??
How can you say Rafa will always be injured with any certainty, you cant. Just like i cant say he wont. Valencia did a good job at RB last season and his stats are up there with many in Europe i checked this morning. And Varela will be 3rd choice and was playing well for our Reserves and on loan at Madrid castilla team hence why Zidane wanted to keep him so bad, but Madrid did not want to pay what we was asking. If LVG has spoke to Rafa and hes decided to stay then i will be delighted!

..... and Varela....... He's been playing in Real Madrid 2nd team and is suddenly good enough to compete for a starting spot in a club supposedly as big wanting to challenge all fronts? .....

Excuse my complete ignorance as I'm reading, but before I go researching the name, who the heck is he?

Honestly never heard of him. Some foreign kid presumably?

Excuse my complete ignorance as I'm reading, but before I go researching the name, who the heck is he?

Honestly never heard of him. Some foreign kid presumably?
Manchester United are poised to sign Uruguay youngster Guillermo Varela.
Valera's Uruguayan club, Penarol, claim the 20-year-old, who spent time on trial at United near the end of last season, is now set to join the Premier League champions.

The right-back is understood to be joining for an initial fee of £1million, with the value of the deal potentially rising to £2.5m.

Varela, who will play for Uruguay at the Under-20s World Cup in Turkey later this month, will become the first signing under new boss David Moyes as he tweaks the squad inherited from the retiring Alex Ferguson.

Penarol club treasurer Rodolfo Catino was said to be travelling with Varela to Manchester to complete the deal, although it is not clear if the defender will be loaned back to the Montevideo club for next season.

Was the best defender at that tournament.

Thank you. Appreciated.

Sounds nowhere near ready for a club like Utd given his 1 game back home, and 1 season in the Spanish lower leagues (just been looking myself); but as I've never even heard of him until 10 minutes ago I can't honestly say that with any conviction.

Thank you. Appreciated.

Sounds nowhere near ready for a club like Utd given his 1 game back home, and 1 season in the Spanish lower leagues (just been looking myself); but as I've never even heard of him until 10 minutes ago I can't honestly say that with any conviction.
No i agree. Defo not ready to be a starter, but is defo good enough to be 2nd or 3rd choice and will only get better. He is to good to be playing Reserve or 2nd league Spanish footy.

According to Jackson we tried to sign Coleman in Jan but Everton rejected our offers. And says LVG is keen to add a RB and a CM before we go out on tour. And will only sign a STR if RVP leaves. If true looks like we could have Coleman and Schniederlin wrapped up soon.

Maybe it's just me, but Coleman is such an underwhelming signing. I don't see what's the big appeal about him, he's not that good, not overly experienced either despite his age , just as good younger options abroad probably for less as well.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me, but Coleman is such an underwhelming signing. I don't see what's the big appeal about him, he's not that good, not experienced either despite his age , just as good younger options abroad probably for less as well.

Because he's being linked heavily to you so he must be great?

Being (semi) facetious aside, I agree. He's solid, but nothing like a £20 million player. That would be a big reach and then some.

Can't see as Martinez would want Evans as any part of it either if it came down to it.

Maybe it's just me, but Coleman is such an underwhelming signing. I don't see what's the big appeal about him, he's not that good, not overly experienced either despite his age , just as good younger options abroad probably for less as well.
TBH the RBs available are shocking imo in terms of pure quality. Coleman,Darmian,Fabinho are good players but no improvement on what we have. IF we do sell Rafa which is not looking like atm i would take Coleman.

TBH the RBs available are shocking imo in terms of pure quality. Coleman,Darmian,Fabinho are good players but no improvement on what we have. IF we do sell Rafa which is not looking like atm i would take Coleman.

My pick would still be Fabinho, he's only 21 looks to have a lot to his game and IMO will become a lot better than Coleman under LVG's tutoring. Also try and get Carvajal from Madrid... they've just signed Danilo... both can't play.

Because he's being linked heavily to you so he must be great?

Being (semi) facetious aside, I agree. He's solid, but nothing like a £20 million player. That would be a big reach and then some.

Can't see as Martinez would want Evans as any part of it either if it came down to it.

There is times when Coleman can be good, season before last was impressive in a really good Everton side under Martinez. But I honestly don't think he's all that for the price we'd pay.

If they want Evans they can have him for free, I'll even transport him there myself.

My pick would still be Fabinho, he's only 21 looks to have a lot to his and IMO will become a lot better than Coleman under LVG's tutoring. Also try and get Carvajal from Madrid... they've just signed Danilo... both can't play.
Last i read Monaco wanted 30m euros for Fabinho as he just signed for them, which is far to much imo after 1 good season. We wont get Carvajl not a chance in ****, Real signed Coentrao while having Marcelo and Benitez wants 2 top class players in each position. If we can get Evans off the books and get Coleman i would be happy with that. Evans already been linked with Everton a few times this Summer.

Last i read Monaco wanted 30m euros for Fabinho as he just signed for them, which is far to much imo after 1 good season. We wont get Carvajl not a chance in ****, Real signed Coentrao while having Marcelo and Benitez wants 2 top class players in each position. If we can get Evans off the books and get Coleman i would be happy with that. Evans already been linked with Everton a few times this Summer.

If it's a deal involving EVans I can understand it and then it does kind of make sense.

Also that's not really a bad price, works out at about £21m for Fabinho, would get decade and a half out of him. Still going to grow a lot in terms of ability.

Coleman is 27 and will probably cost a similar price.

Whatever happened to LVG's transfer philosophy of buying players 24 or under? Or something like that, seems to of gone out the window if we get someone like Coleman.

Only meant to be broken under exceptional circumstances, Alves Yes (I could understand as he's one of the best, I know it's not happening now obviously), Coleman No.

If it's a deal involving EVans I can understand it and then it does kind of make sense.

Also that's not really a bad price, works out at about £21m for Fabinho, would get decade and a half out of him. Still going to grow a lot in terms of ability.

Coleman is 27 and will probably cost a similar price.
I think hes a good player but hard to judge on not even 1 good season it was really only the second half he really kicked on. Will see i guess what happens, would be happy with with either! But would be good to get Evans off the books and maybe pay Everton something like 13-15m. :)

Back