The Manchester United Thread

I doubt it mate. Sponsors would always be attracted to United because of it's huge fan base. And that is not something that will change with one poor season or for a long time

One season, no. Three dry seasons? Its a real possibility. Whatever plan they had for Fergie leaving, I'm sure it didn't involve transition longer than 3 seasons. LVG will most likely get to run out his contract, but my bet is they expect at the very least a very serious title challenge and strong showing in Europe.

Technically we haven't done anything yet apart from Depay which was largely down to LVG. Lets not get too carried away until the business is actually done, also lets not forget that it is vital it is done quicker than later, for best preparation to a crucial season where we can hopefully compete again.

No one is getting carried away.

It seems, from the club's behaviour, that there is a strong intention to wrap it all up before the pre-season tour. I was just simply pointing towards a positive approach by the club and how it's targeting new signings.

No one is getting carried away.

It seems, from the club's behaviour, that there is a strong intention to wrap it all up before the pre-season tour. I was just simply pointing towards a positive approach by the club and how it's targeting new signings.

Allow me to spin things back in a negative direction for you ;)

I dont understand how anybody can think losing £20m is a viable option. Id much rather have Valdes in net and maybe get Ramos as part of any DDG deal and use the extra cash for Otamendi. Otamendi and Rojo already have a decent partnership, and you would think that Ramos and Valdes would be more than comfortable. Throw in Schneiderlin sitting infront who is and has been arguably the best holding midfielder in the league for the last 2 seasons and I'd say we are pretty much set. If we could also add Schweinsteiger alongside Schneiderlin then we are laughing.

Obviously if this happens I would play;

Ramos-Otamendi-Rojo-Shaw
Schneiderlin-Schweinstegier

With that back 6 I'd even be confident with Lindegaard in net never mind Valdes or even Begovic.

£20m doesnt sound a lot when your thinking of a price for DDG but when you think of what that little extra could do to the TEAM it doesnt even compare for me. Get rid for no less than £20m or use him to get Ramos for next to nothing, then seriously sort the teamwith the money.

GK - Valdes/Begovic/Lindergaard
RB - Ramos/Darmian/Valencia
CB - Ramos/Otamendi/Rojo/Smalling/Jones/Evans
LB - Shaw/Blind/Rojo
DM - Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger/Carrick/Blind/Fellaini
CM - Any CM + Mata/Herrera/Rooney/Di Maria (also AMC for most)
AMR - Mata/Di Maria/Depay/Valencia/Januzaj
AML - Depay/Di Maria/Young/Januzaj
ST - Rooney/RVP/Wilson/Depay/Di Maria

I dont understand how anybody can think losing £20m is a viable option. Id much rather have Valdes in net and maybe get Ramos as part of any DDG deal and use the extra cash for Otamendi. Otamendi and Rojo already have a decent partnership, and you would think that Ramos and Valdes would be more than comfortable. Throw in Schneiderlin sitting infront who is and has been arguably the best holding midfielder in the league for the last 2 seasons and I'd say we are pretty much set. If we could also add Schweinsteiger alongside Schneiderlin then we are laughing.

Obviously if this happens I would play;

Ramos-Otamendi-Rojo-Shaw
Schneiderlin-Schweinstegier

With that back 6 I'd even be confident with Lindegaard in net never mind Valdes or even Begovic.

£20m doesnt sound a lot when your thinking of a price for DDG but when you think of what that little extra could do to the TEAM it doesnt even compare for me. Get rid for no less than £20m or use him to get Ramos for next to nothing, then seriously sort the teamwith the money.

GK - Valdes/Begovic/Lindergaard
RB - Ramos/Darmian/Valencia
CB - Ramos/Otamendi/Rojo/Smalling/Jones/Evans
LB - Shaw/Blind/Rojo
DM - Schneiderlin/Schweinsteiger/Carrick/Blind/Fellaini
CM - Any CM + Mata/Herrera/Rooney/Di Maria (also AMC for most)
AMR - Mata/Di Maria/Depay/Valencia/Januzaj
AML - Depay/Di Maria/Young/Januzaj
ST - Rooney/RVP/Wilson/Depay/Di Maria
Selling or not selling DDG will have absolutely no effect on our transfer budget what so ever. Keeping DDG could earn us more than 20m next season if he plays well and gets us back in the CL again.

Selling or not selling DDG will have absolutely no effect on our transfer budget what so ever. Keeping DDG could earn us more than 20m next season if he plays well and gets us back in the CL again.

So if we get Ramos, Otamendi, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger but dont have DDG in net we'll get smashed every week coz we havent got superman in net? I dont think so. Our defense was ***** last season and DDG had to pull us out of the **** numerous times. If we had that defense last season, DDG wouldnt have had the season he did because he wouldnt have been needed as much.

I can honestly tell you now, DDG will NOT be the reason we get/dont get CL next season.

Actually, I'll even go as far as to say last season was a one off. But DDG was the one that came out of it looking 100x better. New manager, 3 at the back formation, massive amount of injuries to key players and playing players out of position for half a season was why we ended up like we did last year. Yes DDG saved us a lot of points, but that was last season and I dont think a season like that will be repeated again.

We WILL have a better defense with world class players. We WILL have a good holding midfielder (probably the leagues best) so we can actually not fall apart without Carrick. We HAVE found a formation and style that suits us from day 1 this season, and we WILL have a squad more capable of coping with injuries if we ever get a crisis like that again (but highly unlikely). DDG is not the be all and end all of this next season, and if all goes to plan, I think far from it.

Last edited:
This is funny as **** LOOOOOOOOLZ! :)
ddgxkr35.gif

So if we get Ramos, Otamendi, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger but dont have DDG in net we'll get smashed every week coz we havent got superman in net? I dont think so. Our defense was ***** last season and DDG had to pull us out of the **** numerous times. If we had that defense last season, DDG wouldnt have had the season he did because he wouldnt have been needed as much.

I can honestly tell you now, DDG will NOT be the reason we get/dont get CL next season.
Your wrong! He saved us 26 points last season with his heroics. How do you know any of those players will settle or gel together.

Your wrong! He saved us 26 points last season with his heroics. How do you know any of those players will settle or gel together.

YES!

So you finally admit that he was the only difference in you finishing 4th and not half way down the table!

See, if you would of admitted that weeks back it would of been much easier. :P

Now you just need to let it go and admit you're in a fight for 4th again this year. ;)

YES!

So you finally admit that he was the only difference in you finishing 4th and not half way down the table!

See, if you would of admitted that weeks back it would of been much easier. :P

Now you just need to let it go and admit you're in a fight for 4th again this year. ;)
That's my 1st say on the matter tbh :P And yes he was a massive part of us finishing 4th in a very tough season for us for numerous reasons. Even if we do make signings theres no guarantee we will be better than last season. But saying that with a settled manager and formation. No injuries as of yet and a slightly more settled squad and getting players in early I fully expect us to be a lot better than last season.

I edited my post. Read the rest.

Obviously we dont know if they will gel, but as I already pointed out, Otamendi and Rojo already have an understanding, as will Rojo and Shaw and Ramos and Valdes.

I'll ask you one simple question. If we have a back 4 of Ramos-Otamendi-Rojo-Shaw with Schneiderlin infront, do you think DDG will need to save us 26 points worth of times this season?

I edited my post. Read the rest.

Obviously we dont know if they will gel, but as I already pointed out, Otamendi and Rojo already have an understanding, as will Rojo and Shaw and Ramos and Valdes.

I'll ask you one simple question. If we have a back 4 of Ramos-Otamendi-Rojo-Shaw with Schneiderlin infront, do you think DDG will need to save us 26 points worth of times this season?
We wont have a chance of signing Ramos if he thinks he will be playing FB! Otamendi and Rojo wont play together. Impossible to say either way. How do we know Valdes will be any good? All ifs and buts!

That's my 1st say on the matter tbh :P And yes he was a massive part of us finishing 4th in a very tough season for us for numerous reasons. Even if we do make signings theres no guarantee we will be better than last season. But saying that with a settled manager and formation. No injuries as of yet and a slightly more settled squad and getting players in early I fully expect us to be a lot better than last season.

Exactly my point. We have our formation now. A full season with the new manager. Deadwood being shifted. World class replacements and hopefully not another freak injury crisis last season. We won't need DDG to save us 26 points, because for a start that many opportunities wont come along like last season.

Exactly my point. We have our formation now. A full season with the new manager. Deadwood being shifted. World class replacements and hopefully not another freak injury crisis last season. We won't need DDG to save us 26 points, because for a start that many opportunities wont come along like last season.
And you know this how? What word class replacements we have signed only Memphis. Top prospect, world class I think not.

We wont have a chance of signing Ramos if he thinks he will be playing FB! Otamendi and Rojo wont play together. Impossible to say either way. How do we know Valdes will be any good? All ifs and buts!

Personally Id go for Begovic if its only around £8m. Im sure he'd rather play every week than warm Chelseas bench. But I only see Valdes as a stop gap anyway. We cant spend for every single position in one window. Something has got to give. Valdes has played at the highest level for 10 years or so. With a world class organised unit infront of him I'd be more than happy with him for a season then pay top dollar for a world class goalie next summer.

Personally Id go for Begovic if its only around £8m. Im sure he'd rather play every week than warm Chelseas bench. But I only see Valdes as a stop gap anyway. We cant spend for every single position in one window. Something has got to give. Valdes has played at the highest level for 10 years or so. With a world class organised unit infront of him I'd be more than happy with him for a season then pay top dollar for a world class goalie next summer.
Begovic no thanks I would rather have Valdes and Lindergaard. Im not in anyway or have in anyway said DDG is the be all and end all. But the price Madrid want him for we may as well keep him another year and just strengthen the defence instead of changing the defence and GK in one window, which would be worse.

Begovic no thanks I would rather have Valdes and Lindergaard. Im not in anyway or have in anyway said DDG is the be all and end all. But the price Madrid want him for we may as well keep him another year and just strengthen the defence instead of changing the defence and GK in one window, which would be worse.

We wouldnt be exaclt changing the GK with Valdes. He's been at the club how long now? Training day in day out and building up an understanding with all of the defenders that would be infront of him. He's not just walked into the club and starting from scratch.

Actually the more I think about Valdes taking over the more I think it could work. People say about him physically and claiming crosses and what not (I was one). Have we not been doing that **** in training since he's been here? Has he not been roughed up a bit in corner routines? He's had about 8 months of learning the physical side behind closed doors and not being thrown in head first like DDG was. For all we know he might be catching 9/10 now instead of 4/5 out of 10.

GvN8QFFw_normal.jpeg
Omid Zamani @OmldZamani BREAKING via SKY Italia: Manchester United have offered 16 million euros + (2 million euros bonus)for #Darmian - Man Utd can close the deal.

GvN8QFFw_normal.jpeg
Omid Zamani @OmldZamani SKY Italia reports that the deal seems to be very close, #Darmian said "Yes" to United & the parties are in the final phases of his sale.

Omid Zamani @OmldZamani
BREAKING via SKY Italia: Manchester United have offered 16 million euros + (2 million euros bonus)for #Darmian - Man Utd can close the deal.

Looks like getting closer and might be done deal very soon. Hopefully he is as good as Serie A fans rate him, which is very high.

Back